Re: [S-R] baptismal - sodalis

  • maxine
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
      Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin, Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
        Dear Maxine,
        Studying church records is not that simple as one might think. If you can
        not read what is there then the whole effort is in vain. You will miss
        information.
        Some people do their "own research" by coordinating the work of other people
        who know.
        If you really want to do it by yourself, then you have to learn and learn.
        Vladimir

        _____

        Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are
        confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin,
        Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

        If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
        that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
        I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
        all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
        consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
        page, we can add to it as time passes.

        Ron

        yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

        > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
        us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
        we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
        be helpful. maxine

        > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

      • maxine
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
          Thanks Valadimir for the info and you are right. However, I do not do it by myself, I do not have the knowledge you and the others have. I am still learning and I have a lot to learn. That is why these sites, like SR, are so helpful, usually everyone on the site tries to help each other. I am grateful for that. maxine

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
            Hello Maxine,

            Vladimir is most certainly correct. Simply knowing the words will not be
            sufficient. Understanding the context in which they are written is
            essential. That's why when someone asks for a translation of a word or
            sentence, I ask to see the whole page or more. It puts it into context of
            the writer, the handwriting, the general form of the document. From there
            we can deduce the style and method of that particular writer - everyone
            writes differently.

            Taken to the next level, understanding the history of the time in which
            you are examining is extremely helpful and productive. National, regional
            and village histories are all essential reading. Again, this is putting
            the event in context. It helps to explain the "why" which we are always
            left with.

            Care must often be taken when we make generalizations. Often we find
            ourselves grasping for generalizations, perhaps about lifestyle of our
            ancestors. We may take a wide-ranging book on Slovak customs and assume
            they were the same in our village. Maybe not. Even from nearby villages,
            customs could vary significantly. There are more than 2,500 villages in
            Slovakia alone.

            We must also take care not to assume or "read into" material too deeply or
            take a single data point as fact. I always insist on at least one
            additional, independent source by which to corroborate my facts. It is
            only then that I have enough confidence to declare it a fact.

            Back to words. First, you must at least identify which language the
            document is written in before you even have a chance to begin. Read more,
            look at all the samples you can, not just of your research work, but the
            work of others.

            With regard to word lists, there are hundreds of word lists available
            today. Perhaps the best lists are those compiled and available for free
            from the Family History Center.
            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp

            For Example:
            Latin: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/guide/WLLatin.asp
            "Hungarian"/Magyar: http://tinyurl.com/b9qqx
            There are several others.

            I have also compiled a list of my favorites,
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/language.htm which is a good starting
            point.

            Best of Luck,

            Bill Tarkulich

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
              Dear Maxine,
              What I mean is, when you are sitting with the viewer, you are alone. You can
              not consult the this site. In case you get stuck, you must stop , go home
              and talk to us. But, you must also be able to realize that there is
              something you should be able to read before going on.This is not very
              practical, if you stop every now and then. If you can not read, you don't
              even know what and when you missed something.
              Best,
              Vladimir

              _____

              From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com