RE: [S-R] baptismal - sodalis

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
      No, Maxine
      It would be latin-english
      Vladimir

      _____

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of maxine
      Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2007 7:40 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] baptismal - sodalis

      Hi, having a list of "words" would be great! It must be stated if they are
      Rusyn or Slovak or ? I would be more than happy to do this, however,
      I have no knowledge of any language. Only know a few words. It is my hope
      someday to contribute to this group, and others, however, I am just learning
      myself. Attempting to learn the computer for 3 years now and the history,
      customs, etc of my people. Presently the only thing I can contribute are
      photo's. But there again I do not know how to send them. One day I hope to
      be able to contribute a lot more as I have learned much from the people on
      this site. Ron, I believe you know this! thanks guys maxine sasala

      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
        Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin, Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

      • konekta@nm.psg.sk
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
          Dear Maxine,
          Studying church records is not that simple as one might think. If you can
          not read what is there then the whole effort is in vain. You will miss
          information.
          Some people do their "own research" by coordinating the work of other people
          who know.
          If you really want to do it by yourself, then you have to learn and learn.
          Vladimir

          _____

          Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are
          confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin,
          Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

          If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
          that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
          I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
          all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
          consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
          page, we can add to it as time passes.

          Ron

          yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

          > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
          us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
          we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
          be helpful. maxine

          > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

        • maxine
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
            Thanks Valadimir for the info and you are right. However, I do not do it by myself, I do not have the knowledge you and the others have. I am still learning and I have a lot to learn. That is why these sites, like SR, are so helpful, usually everyone on the site tries to help each other. I am grateful for that. maxine

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
              Hello Maxine,

              Vladimir is most certainly correct. Simply knowing the words will not be
              sufficient. Understanding the context in which they are written is
              essential. That's why when someone asks for a translation of a word or
              sentence, I ask to see the whole page or more. It puts it into context of
              the writer, the handwriting, the general form of the document. From there
              we can deduce the style and method of that particular writer - everyone
              writes differently.

              Taken to the next level, understanding the history of the time in which
              you are examining is extremely helpful and productive. National, regional
              and village histories are all essential reading. Again, this is putting
              the event in context. It helps to explain the "why" which we are always
              left with.

              Care must often be taken when we make generalizations. Often we find
              ourselves grasping for generalizations, perhaps about lifestyle of our
              ancestors. We may take a wide-ranging book on Slovak customs and assume
              they were the same in our village. Maybe not. Even from nearby villages,
              customs could vary significantly. There are more than 2,500 villages in
              Slovakia alone.

              We must also take care not to assume or "read into" material too deeply or
              take a single data point as fact. I always insist on at least one
              additional, independent source by which to corroborate my facts. It is
              only then that I have enough confidence to declare it a fact.

              Back to words. First, you must at least identify which language the
              document is written in before you even have a chance to begin. Read more,
              look at all the samples you can, not just of your research work, but the
              work of others.

              With regard to word lists, there are hundreds of word lists available
              today. Perhaps the best lists are those compiled and available for free
              from the Family History Center.
              http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp

              For Example:
              Latin: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/guide/WLLatin.asp
              "Hungarian"/Magyar: http://tinyurl.com/b9qqx
              There are several others.

              I have also compiled a list of my favorites,
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/language.htm which is a good starting
              point.

              Best of Luck,

              Bill Tarkulich

              --
              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                Dear Maxine,
                What I mean is, when you are sitting with the viewer, you are alone. You can
                not consult the this site. In case you get stuck, you must stop , go home
                and talk to us. But, you must also be able to realize that there is
                something you should be able to read before going on.This is not very
                practical, if you stop every now and then. If you can not read, you don't
                even know what and when you missed something.
                Best,
                Vladimir

                _____

                From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com