Another social class term

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22 9:37 PM
      OK, men, so what is a voya'r? I am reasonably sure that the last letter is
      an r, not a k, which would mean a soldier. The individual is later
      identified as a rolnik.
    • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22 10:09 PM
        Andrea,

        Are you sure the other word is "voyar"? "Vojak" is a military person and rank,
        an enlisted level such as a private or corporal and it applies in general terms
        to any "soldier". A farmer or farm worker could become a soldier and vice
        versa. Does the Latin "miles or mile" (for soldier) appear any where on the
        document?

        Dr. "Q"

        >Andrea Vangor wrote:

        > Yes, rolnik means a landowning farmer, I believe. The Slovak terms sedlak
        > and rolnik are applied to people whom the Hungarians call telkesgazda or
        > fo:ldmuveles. Joe Armata would probably tell us that a rolnik originally
        > was a peasant with a full allotment of land to work. After the peasantry
        > was liberated in 1848, these people ended up with some or all of that
        > allotment as their own property.

      • Frank Kurchina
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23 4:10 AM
          In Hungarian kocsis was a driver, coachman.
          Kocsi was a cart or wagon (koc^is in Slovak)

          The equivalent occupational title in Slovak was a povozník,
          meaning a carter or wagoner.
          (-nik is a Slovak word affix meaning occupation)