Re: [S-R] Hungarian Word List & much more

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
      >>> You can still download the .pdf document - I just did. <<<

      CORRECT. Click on pdf and the file is found!!!!
    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
        No, Maxine
        It would be latin-english
        Vladimir

        _____

        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
          Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin, Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

        • konekta@nm.psg.sk
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
            Dear Maxine,
            Studying church records is not that simple as one might think. If you can
            not read what is there then the whole effort is in vain. You will miss
            information.
            Some people do their "own research" by coordinating the work of other people
            who know.
            If you really want to do it by yourself, then you have to learn and learn.
            Vladimir

            _____

            Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are
            confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin,
            Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

            If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
            that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
            I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
            all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
            consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
            page, we can add to it as time passes.

            Ron

            yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

            > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
            us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
            we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
            be helpful. maxine

            > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

          • maxine
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
              Thanks Valadimir for the info and you are right. However, I do not do it by myself, I do not have the knowledge you and the others have. I am still learning and I have a lot to learn. That is why these sites, like SR, are so helpful, usually everyone on the site tries to help each other. I am grateful for that. maxine

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                Hello Maxine,

                Vladimir is most certainly correct. Simply knowing the words will not be
                sufficient. Understanding the context in which they are written is
                essential. That's why when someone asks for a translation of a word or
                sentence, I ask to see the whole page or more. It puts it into context of
                the writer, the handwriting, the general form of the document. From there
                we can deduce the style and method of that particular writer - everyone
                writes differently.

                Taken to the next level, understanding the history of the time in which
                you are examining is extremely helpful and productive. National, regional
                and village histories are all essential reading. Again, this is putting
                the event in context. It helps to explain the "why" which we are always
                left with.

                Care must often be taken when we make generalizations. Often we find
                ourselves grasping for generalizations, perhaps about lifestyle of our
                ancestors. We may take a wide-ranging book on Slovak customs and assume
                they were the same in our village. Maybe not. Even from nearby villages,
                customs could vary significantly. There are more than 2,500 villages in
                Slovakia alone.

                We must also take care not to assume or "read into" material too deeply or
                take a single data point as fact. I always insist on at least one
                additional, independent source by which to corroborate my facts. It is
                only then that I have enough confidence to declare it a fact.

                Back to words. First, you must at least identify which language the
                document is written in before you even have a chance to begin. Read more,
                look at all the samples you can, not just of your research work, but the
                work of others.

                With regard to word lists, there are hundreds of word lists available
                today. Perhaps the best lists are those compiled and available for free
                from the Family History Center.
                http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp

                For Example:
                Latin: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/guide/WLLatin.asp
                "Hungarian"/Magyar: http://tinyurl.com/b9qqx
                There are several others.

                I have also compiled a list of my favorites,
                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/language.htm which is a good starting
                point.

                Best of Luck,

                Bill Tarkulich

                --
                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Dear Maxine,
                  What I mean is, when you are sitting with the viewer, you are alone. You can
                  not consult the this site. In case you get stuck, you must stop , go home
                  and talk to us. But, you must also be able to realize that there is
                  something you should be able to read before going on.This is not very
                  practical, if you stop every now and then. If you can not read, you don't
                  even know what and when you missed something.
                  Best,
                  Vladimir

                  _____

                  From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com