RE: [S-R] Hungarian Word List & much more

  • Helen France
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
      Yes, you're correct. Just click at upper right hand and there you have it!
      Don't know what the problem was with John.

      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
        The PDF file is located on the upper right hand side of the page...Click on the area that says PDF download the printable...you will have 15 pages of wonder of the hungarian language. Hope this helps... :)

        Cheri

        johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:
        >>> or you can try this site:
        >
        > http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?
        Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=undefined&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
        b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

        NOT. They removed the pdf file.

      • maxine
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
          Hi everyone, when I say "word list", I do NOT mean every word. I mean the ones that "come up" or are useful for searching families, or words your grandparents used, on documents, that kind of stuff. Agree or disagree maxine sasala

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
            >>> You can still download the .pdf document - I just did. <<<

            CORRECT. Click on pdf and the file is found!!!!
          • konekta@nm.psg.sk
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
              No, Maxine
              It would be latin-english
              Vladimir

              _____

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin, Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

              • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Dear Maxine,
                  Studying church records is not that simple as one might think. If you can
                  not read what is there then the whole effort is in vain. You will miss
                  information.
                  Some people do their "own research" by coordinating the work of other people
                  who know.
                  If you really want to do it by yourself, then you have to learn and learn.
                  Vladimir

                  _____

                  Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are
                  confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin,
                  Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

                  If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                  that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                  I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                  all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                  consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                  page, we can add to it as time passes.

                  Ron

                  yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                  > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                  us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                  we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                  be helpful. maxine

                  > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                • maxine
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                    Thanks Valadimir for the info and you are right. However, I do not do it by myself, I do not have the knowledge you and the others have. I am still learning and I have a lot to learn. That is why these sites, like SR, are so helpful, usually everyone on the site tries to help each other. I am grateful for that. maxine

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                      Hello Maxine,

                      Vladimir is most certainly correct. Simply knowing the words will not be
                      sufficient. Understanding the context in which they are written is
                      essential. That's why when someone asks for a translation of a word or
                      sentence, I ask to see the whole page or more. It puts it into context of
                      the writer, the handwriting, the general form of the document. From there
                      we can deduce the style and method of that particular writer - everyone
                      writes differently.

                      Taken to the next level, understanding the history of the time in which
                      you are examining is extremely helpful and productive. National, regional
                      and village histories are all essential reading. Again, this is putting
                      the event in context. It helps to explain the "why" which we are always
                      left with.

                      Care must often be taken when we make generalizations. Often we find
                      ourselves grasping for generalizations, perhaps about lifestyle of our
                      ancestors. We may take a wide-ranging book on Slovak customs and assume
                      they were the same in our village. Maybe not. Even from nearby villages,
                      customs could vary significantly. There are more than 2,500 villages in
                      Slovakia alone.

                      We must also take care not to assume or "read into" material too deeply or
                      take a single data point as fact. I always insist on at least one
                      additional, independent source by which to corroborate my facts. It is
                      only then that I have enough confidence to declare it a fact.

                      Back to words. First, you must at least identify which language the
                      document is written in before you even have a chance to begin. Read more,
                      look at all the samples you can, not just of your research work, but the
                      work of others.

                      With regard to word lists, there are hundreds of word lists available
                      today. Perhaps the best lists are those compiled and available for free
                      from the Family History Center.
                      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp

                      For Example:
                      Latin: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/guide/WLLatin.asp
                      "Hungarian"/Magyar: http://tinyurl.com/b9qqx
                      There are several others.

                      I have also compiled a list of my favorites,
                      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/language.htm which is a good starting
                      point.

                      Best of Luck,

                      Bill Tarkulich

                      --
                      Bill Tarkulich
                      http://www.iabsi.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                        Dear Maxine,
                        What I mean is, when you are sitting with the viewer, you are alone. You can
                        not consult the this site. In case you get stuck, you must stop , go home
                        and talk to us. But, you must also be able to realize that there is
                        something you should be able to read before going on.This is not very
                        practical, if you stop every now and then. If you can not read, you don't
                        even know what and when you missed something.
                        Best,
                        Vladimir

                        _____

                        From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com