Hungarian Word List & much more

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
      Google "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records" by Jared H.
      Suess and see if your library has it or can get it. Long out of print.
      Very informative 100 page manual.
    • Helen France
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
        or you can try this site:

        http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?Aid=&Gid=
        &Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=undefined&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry
        =&Loc=undefined

        Google "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records" by Jared H.
        Suess and see if your library has it or can get it. Long out of print.
        Very informative 100 page manual.

        Checked by AVG.
        11:30 AM

      • PHILBAER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
          You can still download the .pdf document - I just did.

          In a message dated 12/2/2007 10:47:55 P.M. W. Europe Standard Time,
          johnqadam@... writes:

          >>> or you can try this site:
          >
          > _http://www.familysehttp://wwhttp://www.famhttp://wwhttp://www.fhttp_
          (http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?)
          Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=Sisgid=<W&<WBR&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
          b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

          NOT. They removed the pdf file.

        • Helen France
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
            Yes, you're correct. Just click at upper right hand and there you have it!
            Don't know what the problem was with John.

            johnqadam@... writes:

            >>> or you can try this site:
            >
            > _http://www.familysehttp://wwhttp://www.famhttp://wwhttp://www.fhttp_
            (http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?)
            Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=Sisgid=<W&<WBR&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
            b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

            NOT. They removed the pdf file.

            Checked by AVG.
            11:30 AM

          • Cheryl Gentsy-Penkrot
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
              The PDF file is located on the upper right hand side of the page...Click on the area that says PDF download the printable...you will have 15 pages of wonder of the hungarian language. Hope this helps... :)

              Cheri

              johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:
              >>> or you can try this site:
              >
              > http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?
              Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=undefined&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
              b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

              NOT. They removed the pdf file.

            • maxine
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                Hi everyone, when I say "word list", I do NOT mean every word. I mean the ones that "come up" or are useful for searching families, or words your grandparents used, on documents, that kind of stuff. Agree or disagree maxine sasala

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                  >>> You can still download the .pdf document - I just did. <<<

                  CORRECT. Click on pdf and the file is found!!!!
                • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                    No, Maxine
                    It would be latin-english
                    Vladimir

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin, Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

                    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                        Dear Maxine,
                        Studying church records is not that simple as one might think. If you can
                        not read what is there then the whole effort is in vain. You will miss
                        information.
                        Some people do their "own research" by coordinating the work of other people
                        who know.
                        If you really want to do it by yourself, then you have to learn and learn.
                        Vladimir

                        _____

                        Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are
                        confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin,
                        Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

                        If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                        that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                        I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                        all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                        consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                        page, we can add to it as time passes.

                        Ron

                        yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                        > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                        us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                        we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                        be helpful. maxine

                        > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                      • maxine
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                          Thanks Valadimir for the info and you are right. However, I do not do it by myself, I do not have the knowledge you and the others have. I am still learning and I have a lot to learn. That is why these sites, like SR, are so helpful, usually everyone on the site tries to help each other. I am grateful for that. maxine

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                            Hello Maxine,

                            Vladimir is most certainly correct. Simply knowing the words will not be
                            sufficient. Understanding the context in which they are written is
                            essential. That's why when someone asks for a translation of a word or
                            sentence, I ask to see the whole page or more. It puts it into context of
                            the writer, the handwriting, the general form of the document. From there
                            we can deduce the style and method of that particular writer - everyone
                            writes differently.

                            Taken to the next level, understanding the history of the time in which
                            you are examining is extremely helpful and productive. National, regional
                            and village histories are all essential reading. Again, this is putting
                            the event in context. It helps to explain the "why" which we are always
                            left with.

                            Care must often be taken when we make generalizations. Often we find
                            ourselves grasping for generalizations, perhaps about lifestyle of our
                            ancestors. We may take a wide-ranging book on Slovak customs and assume
                            they were the same in our village. Maybe not. Even from nearby villages,
                            customs could vary significantly. There are more than 2,500 villages in
                            Slovakia alone.

                            We must also take care not to assume or "read into" material too deeply or
                            take a single data point as fact. I always insist on at least one
                            additional, independent source by which to corroborate my facts. It is
                            only then that I have enough confidence to declare it a fact.

                            Back to words. First, you must at least identify which language the
                            document is written in before you even have a chance to begin. Read more,
                            look at all the samples you can, not just of your research work, but the
                            work of others.

                            With regard to word lists, there are hundreds of word lists available
                            today. Perhaps the best lists are those compiled and available for free
                            from the Family History Center.
                            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp

                            For Example:
                            Latin: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/guide/WLLatin.asp
                            "Hungarian"/Magyar: http://tinyurl.com/b9qqx
                            There are several others.

                            I have also compiled a list of my favorites,
                            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/language.htm which is a good starting
                            point.

                            Best of Luck,

                            Bill Tarkulich

                            --
                            Bill Tarkulich
                            http://www.iabsi.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                              Dear Maxine,
                              What I mean is, when you are sitting with the viewer, you are alone. You can
                              not consult the this site. In case you get stuck, you must stop , go home
                              and talk to us. But, you must also be able to realize that there is
                              something you should be able to read before going on.This is not very
                              practical, if you stop every now and then. If you can not read, you don't
                              even know what and when you missed something.
                              Best,
                              Vladimir

                              _____

                              From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com