Re: [S-R] baptismal - sodalis

  • June McKee
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
      Ron,
      I think that is a great idea. I know that many of the new researchers do not have the dictionarys and I think that would be very helpful to them.

      June

      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
        Hi, having a list of "words" would be great! It must be stated if they are Rusyn or Slovak or ? I would be more than happy to do this, however,
        I have no knowledge of any language. Only know a few words. It is my hope someday to contribute to this group, and others, however, I am just learning myself. Attempting to learn the computer for 3 years now and the history, customs, etc of my people. Presently the only thing I can contribute are photo's. But there again I do not know how to send them. One day I hope to be able to contribute a lot more as I have learned much from the people on this site. Ron, I believe you know this! thanks guys maxine sasala

        If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
        that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
        I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
        all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
        consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
        page, we can add to it as time passes.

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

        > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
        us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
        we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
        be helpful. maxine

        > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
          Google "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records" by Jared H.
          Suess and see if your library has it or can get it. Long out of print.
          Very informative 100 page manual.
        • Helen France
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
            or you can try this site:

            http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?Aid=&Gid=
            &Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=undefined&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry
            =&Loc=undefined

            Google "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records" by Jared H.
            Suess and see if your library has it or can get it. Long out of print.
            Very informative 100 page manual.

            Checked by AVG.
            11:30 AM

          • PHILBAER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
              You can still download the .pdf document - I just did.

              In a message dated 12/2/2007 10:47:55 P.M. W. Europe Standard Time,
              johnqadam@... writes:

              >>> or you can try this site:
              >
              > _http://www.familysehttp://wwhttp://www.famhttp://wwhttp://www.fhttp_
              (http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?)
              Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=Sisgid=<W&<WBR&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
              b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

              NOT. They removed the pdf file.

            • Helen France
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                Yes, you're correct. Just click at upper right hand and there you have it!
                Don't know what the problem was with John.

                johnqadam@... writes:

                >>> or you can try this site:
                >
                > _http://www.familysehttp://wwhttp://www.famhttp://wwhttp://www.fhttp_
                (http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?)
                Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=Sisgid=<W&<WBR&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
                b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

                NOT. They removed the pdf file.

                Checked by AVG.
                11:30 AM

              • Cheryl Gentsy-Penkrot
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                  The PDF file is located on the upper right hand side of the page...Click on the area that says PDF download the printable...you will have 15 pages of wonder of the hungarian language. Hope this helps... :)

                  Cheri

                  johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:
                  >>> or you can try this site:
                  >
                  > http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?
                  Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=undefined&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
                  b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

                  NOT. They removed the pdf file.

                • maxine
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Hi everyone, when I say "word list", I do NOT mean every word. I mean the ones that "come up" or are useful for searching families, or words your grandparents used, on documents, that kind of stuff. Agree or disagree maxine sasala

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                      >>> You can still download the .pdf document - I just did. <<<

                      CORRECT. Click on pdf and the file is found!!!!
                    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                        No, Maxine
                        It would be latin-english
                        Vladimir

                        _____

                        If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                        that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                        I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                        all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                        consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                        page, we can add to it as time passes.

                        Ron

                        yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                        > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                        us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                        we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                        be helpful. maxine

                        > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                      • maxine
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                          Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin, Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

                        • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                            Dear Maxine,
                            Studying church records is not that simple as one might think. If you can
                            not read what is there then the whole effort is in vain. You will miss
                            information.
                            Some people do their "own research" by coordinating the work of other people
                            who know.
                            If you really want to do it by yourself, then you have to learn and learn.
                            Vladimir

                            _____

                            Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are
                            confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin,
                            Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

                            If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                            that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                            I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                            all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                            consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                            page, we can add to it as time passes.

                            Ron

                            yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                            > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                            us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                            we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                            be helpful. maxine

                            > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                          • maxine
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                              Thanks Valadimir for the info and you are right. However, I do not do it by myself, I do not have the knowledge you and the others have. I am still learning and I have a lot to learn. That is why these sites, like SR, are so helpful, usually everyone on the site tries to help each other. I am grateful for that. maxine

                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                                Hello Maxine,

                                Vladimir is most certainly correct. Simply knowing the words will not be
                                sufficient. Understanding the context in which they are written is
                                essential. That's why when someone asks for a translation of a word or
                                sentence, I ask to see the whole page or more. It puts it into context of
                                the writer, the handwriting, the general form of the document. From there
                                we can deduce the style and method of that particular writer - everyone
                                writes differently.

                                Taken to the next level, understanding the history of the time in which
                                you are examining is extremely helpful and productive. National, regional
                                and village histories are all essential reading. Again, this is putting
                                the event in context. It helps to explain the "why" which we are always
                                left with.

                                Care must often be taken when we make generalizations. Often we find
                                ourselves grasping for generalizations, perhaps about lifestyle of our
                                ancestors. We may take a wide-ranging book on Slovak customs and assume
                                they were the same in our village. Maybe not. Even from nearby villages,
                                customs could vary significantly. There are more than 2,500 villages in
                                Slovakia alone.

                                We must also take care not to assume or "read into" material too deeply or
                                take a single data point as fact. I always insist on at least one
                                additional, independent source by which to corroborate my facts. It is
                                only then that I have enough confidence to declare it a fact.

                                Back to words. First, you must at least identify which language the
                                document is written in before you even have a chance to begin. Read more,
                                look at all the samples you can, not just of your research work, but the
                                work of others.

                                With regard to word lists, there are hundreds of word lists available
                                today. Perhaps the best lists are those compiled and available for free
                                from the Family History Center.
                                http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp

                                For Example:
                                Latin: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/guide/WLLatin.asp
                                "Hungarian"/Magyar: http://tinyurl.com/b9qqx
                                There are several others.

                                I have also compiled a list of my favorites,
                                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/language.htm which is a good starting
                                point.

                                Best of Luck,

                                Bill Tarkulich

                                --
                                Bill Tarkulich
                                http://www.iabsi.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                                  Dear Maxine,
                                  What I mean is, when you are sitting with the viewer, you are alone. You can
                                  not consult the this site. In case you get stuck, you must stop , go home
                                  and talk to us. But, you must also be able to realize that there is
                                  something you should be able to read before going on.This is not very
                                  practical, if you stop every now and then. If you can not read, you don't
                                  even know what and when you missed something.
                                  Best,
                                  Vladimir

                                  _____

                                  From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com