Vinna-Banka

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
      >>> does anyone know where the town of VinnaBanka is <<<

      Vinné, Slovakia, formerly Vinna-Banka, Ung, Hungary, is located east of
      Michalovce on the north side of Zemplinska Sirava. Not near Munkacs on
      any map.
    • June McKee
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
        thank you for the map. I can diffently see Klacsano there. Being this villiage is so close to Munkacs that is probably why my grandmother always refered to Munkacs.

        thanks
        June
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
          Eugene:

          This map is part of the "3rd Military Mapping Survey for
          Austria-Hungary". They are dated in the lower right corner; the one
          for Munkacs was dated 1889.

          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/3felmeres.htm

          It's an interactive map just click on the city/area you are interested
          in researching.

          Munkacs was in Bereg County, just southeast of Ung county.

          http://www.talmamedia.com/map/hhcounty/images/megyek1/beugun.gif

          Your Vinna-Banka is shown as Vinna on this map. On the left side
          margin look for 49 degrees. Vinna is a little bit to the right, half
          way down the map.

          All of these maps are found on Bill T's web site.

          Good researching!

          Bob S.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, gklodzen@... wrote:

          > Just curious, but does anyone know where the town of VinnaBanka is in
          > relationship to Munkacs on this map? Also, is this a map of the old
          Ung county or
          > of another region?
          >
          > Many thanks,
          > Eugene Klodzen

        • fernbrough
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
            The third reference map is the following, where Vinna is shown:

            http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/200e/40-49.jpg

            Sorry!

          • gklodzen@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
              An beautiful and detailed map, Bob. Thank you very much. Do I understand
              correctly that today much of the old Ung County to the East of village Vinne (my
              grandfather's village, thus the question), including Klacsano, has become
              part of Ukraine? If so I know how fortunate I was to find the family records
              that I did.

              Many thanks for your time,
              Eugene Klodzen

              _http://lazarus.http://lazarhttp://lahttp://lazhttp://la_

              --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

              , gklodzen@ wrote:

              > > Just curious, but does anyone know where the town of VinnaBanka
              is in
              > > relationship to Munkacs on this map? Also, is this a map of the old
              > Ung county or
              > > of another region?
              > >
              > > Many thanks,
              > > Eugene Klodzen

            • Ron Matviyak
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                > On the left side> > margin look for 49 degrees. Vinna is a little
                bit to the right, half> > way down the map.

                A word of caution with the old maps from Austria-Hungary. The
                latitude shown on the old maps is Ferro, not Greenwich. Thus the
                numbers are about 17° 40' So if you have some need for the modern
                longitude, subtract 17° 40' from what the map says and you will be
                very close to the modern Greenwich value.

                Here is a bit of edited history taken from Wikipedia:

                FERRO, Canary Islands, was known in Europe as the prime meridian in
                common use outside of the future British Empire. In the 2nd century
                A.D., Ptolemy considered a zero meridian based on the western-most
                position of the known world, giving maps with only positive (eastern)
                longitudes.

                In 1634 France decided that Ferro's meridian should be used as the
                reference on maps, since this island is the most western position of
                the Old World and also thought to be exactly 20 degrees west of the
                Paris meridian…

                Old maps (outside of Anglo-America) often have a common grid with
                Paris degrees at the top and Ferro degrees offset by 20 at the bottom.
                Theodor Albrecht (ca. 1890) calculated the Ferro meridian as 17° 39'
                46.02" west of the Greenwich meridian. The geodetic systems of
                Hungary and Yugoslavia, used this value prior to the switch to the
                Greenwich prime meridian.
                But for the geodetic networks of Austria, Germany and Czechoslovakia,
                the value 17° 40' 00" was adopted in the 1920s,
              • June McKee
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                  Eugene,

                  just curious, where did you find your family records if they are indeed in the Ukraine?

                  June

                • gklodzen@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Sorry, June. I did not make that very clear. Vinne is, fortunately, not in
                    Ukraine. I found my family records among those church records photographed by
                    LDS volunteers in the 1990s and available now to researchers from the Family
                    History Library.

                    On the other hand, the 1869 Hungarian Census for Vinne is not available, and
                    I'm not certain why, but I believe it might have something to do with
                    Ukraine. I was able to piece a part of my 19th century family's history together
                    from those church documents, but because of the missing 1869 Census not all of
                    it.

                    I gather that Klacsano is in that part of Ung county that was absorbed into
                    Ukraine.

                    Good luck with your research,
                    Eugene

                    In a message dated 12/3/2007 1:16:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    junemckee@... writes:

                    Eugene,

                    just curious, where did you find your family records if they are indeed in
                    the Ukraine?

                    June
                    An beautiful and detailed map, Bob. Thank you very much. Do I understand
                    correctly that today much of the old Ung County to the East of village Vinne
                    (my
                    grandfather'grandfather'<WBR>s village, thus the question), including Klac

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Thanks Eugene I think I am going to need all of the luck I can get with being in the Ukraine. Maybe someday that area will be able to be filmed or possibly I will be able to find someone that can do a search in there.

                      Good luck to you aswell,
                      June

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                        >>> the 1869 Hungarian Census for Vinne is not available, and
                        I'm not certain why, but I believe it might have something to do with
                        Ukraine. <<<

                        BINGO!!!!

                        The 1869 Ung Megye Hungarian Census is believed to be in Uzhorod
                        Archive, so far lost to genealogy research. However, there is always
                        hope!
                      • Janet Kozlay
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 5, 2008
                          For Eugene Klodzen, Vladimir's information looks very significant. The old
                          ELTE map of Trencsen megye shows that Rajec(z) is right next to Klacsan, now
                          Klace SK. Old Hungarian spellings also include Kleczen and Kalacsany. Roman
                          Catholic church records for Klacsan are with Rajec, which go back all the
                          way to 1674.

                          Despite the similarity in names, there would appear to be no relation
                          between the village of Klacsano near Munkacs and Klacsan in Trencsen.

                          Janet

                        • gklodzen@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 6, 2008
                            Janet, Margo, Vladimir, John and All,

                            Many thanks for this recent information which may open yet another door into
                            the family past, and which I would likely never have known had I not been a
                            member of this group of "generous with their knowledge" family history
                            researchers like yourselves. You can be sure that I will be ordering the relevant
                            microfilm from the Family History Center.

                            As someone said, 'Genealogy becomes rather addictive. No sooner do you find
                            one ancestor but you start looking for another even further back in time.' So
                            true. But even better then finding just that ancestor is the historical
                            perspective that unfolds during the search, the added knowledge of the time and
                            place in which the ancestor lived, thus some of which he or she may have
                            personally experienced. As one who never knew his grandparents, this research
                            odyssey has taught me much about them, ...and myself.

                            Many thanks for your help along the way,
                            Eugene Klodzen

                            In a message dated 2/5/2008 10:04:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                            kozlay@... writes:

                            For Eugene Klodzen, Vladimir's information looks very significant. The old
                            ELTE map of Trencsen megye shows that Rajec(z) is right next to Klacsan, now
                            Klace SK. Old Hungarian spellings also include Kleczen and Kalacsany. Roman
                            Catholic church records for Klacsan are with Rajec, which go back all the
                            way to 1674.

                            Despite the similarity in names, there would appear to be no relation
                            between the village of Klacsano near Munkacs and Klacsan in Trencsen.

                            Janet

                            <<Eugene, Vladimir will probably expand on this reply because he is the
                            expert. In the meantime, the Urbars are the old feudal tax records which list the
                            serf taxpayers. The records from 1770ish are available on microfilm from the
                            Family History Centers. In the list of microfilms, they are Urberi tabellak
                            1767-1773. The documents are in archaic Slovak and Latin.

                            Also, Richard Marsina and Michal Kusik wrote Urbare feudalnych pastiev na
                            Slovensku (1959). Vol. 1 deals with the 16th century and Vol. 2 with the 17th
                            century. I ordered this on interlibrary loan at my local public library. The
                            information presented varies from year to year.

                            Rajec near Zilina has a nice little restaurant. But it is also very near
                            Rajec Teplice, my favorite spa in all Slovakia. The old building is very ornate.
                            There is live music and dancing on summer evenings. And a small bar next to
                            the pool serves slivovce.>>

                            Margo

                            48)

                          • gklodzen@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 7, 2008
                              Janet, Vladimir and All,

                              To add a little more information with regard to our recent discussion of
                              villages Rajecz, Klacsan and Kladzan:

                              In searching through the old Hungarian map, circa 1910:

                              _http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg_
                              (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg)

                              I've found the old village of Kladzan to be in Zemplin County at these
                              coordinates:

                              21 degrees, 45 minutes, & 48 degrees, 45 minutes (hope that's the right
                              terminology)

                              As village Kladzan was considerably closer to present day Vinne then was
                              village Klaczan (located in Trencen County) I'm speculating now that perhaps my
                              KLADZAN ancestors found in Vinne may have had their origins in village
                              Kladzan rather then the more distant village Klacsan. And, as the spelling of
                              both the ancestral surname and the village are identical, it seems a likely
                              possibility.

                              So, next up will be a search of records (church and others) covering years
                              prior to 1812, the year of the earliest KLADZAN found in Vinne. Any thoughts
                              or suggestions would, as always, be much appreciated.

                              Many thanks,
                              Eugene Klodzen (researching KLADZAN, PIKULA, HLADKY, LABADA)

                              48)