new member

  • Andrea M. Kristiansen
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 2, 2007
      Greetings, I am new to the group. My name is Andi. My
      great-grandparents arrived in the U.S. around 1887-89,first settling
      in PA. as coal miners. Their last name was Kocai from Nagy Ida, now
      known as Velka Ida. Some of the surnames I am researching is Pavalko,
      Kocai (Koczai)and (Kotsay since immigration),Takach & Rohaczy.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 2, 2007
        What religion?

        LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
        deaths for Ve¾ká Ida, Slovakia, formerly Nagyida, Abauj-Torna, Hungary.
        LDS also has Reformed Church parish registers of baptisms, marriages
        and deaths for Ve¾ká Ida.
      • david1law@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 2, 2007
          Hi Andi:

          Welcome to the group! One the surnames that you mentioned -- TAKACH -- did
          catch my attention, as one of my distant ancestors is a TKACS from the
          village of KOLINOVCE. It is a common surname in Slovakia, so there may not be any
          connection between our respective ancestors, but one never knows. I can
          provide, however, a couple of insights. In searching for your TAKACH ancestors,
          please be aware that the TAKACH surname may have a number of alternative
          spellings, including TKACS, TKATS, TKACH, among other variants in spelling. .
          The word tkáč means "weaver: in Slovak. The word takács means "weaver" in
          Hungarian. Both words appear to ultimately be of Slavic origin, as similar
          words appear in other Slavic languages -- the word tkát means "weave" in Czech
          and the word tkacz means "weaver" in Polish.

          There may also be variations in spelling with regard to the other surnames
          in your lineage, so when searching the records, it is good to keep an eye out
          for the possibility. Sometimes, there may be a number of variations of
          spelling of a certain surname even within the same family clan. This occurs
          because surnames are often spelling phonetically.

          I also highly recommend Bill Tarkulich's Eastern Genealogical Research
          Strategies website at _www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com) . Bill has compiled
          an excellent and awesome website to help anyone who is searching for their
          roots in Eastern Slovakia. I regularly use his website as a springboard for my
          genealogical research. I wish you well in your search.

          Best regards,

          David

        • Ludovit
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 3 7:46 PM
            It is my pleasure to find this group and you all. I have embarked on a
            great journey to complete my genealogical tree. I must admit that I am
            much better at treasure hunting than actual research. I have found many
            documents pertaining to my Slovak heritage and some implications of
            further Czech lineage further back in history that I've not been able
            to validate 100%. My great grandfather born Ludivit Leporis was
            compelled to assimilate Hungarian culture and thusly use the name Lajos
            Leporisz. He immigrated to the US in 1913 and later that year sent for
            my Croatian great grandmother. They came from Pivnice. The family had
            existed there as protestants for 120 years coming most likely from
            Presov. Although it is likely uncommon for a Slovak to have a latin
            surname it seems to have some basis of issue. The family still has
            presense in Bratislava, Prievdza and the country side. I am currently
            looking for sound reference to the family in Presov were they have
            recently been located in records of the Evangilical Church in order to
            obtain my next link to the late 1700's.
          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 3 8:03 PM
              What do you have as far as documentation? and what latin surname? In church records the names will be moved to Latin if possible, for both churches depending on the time-period. It  is not uncommon, for example, to find documents from the German land of Sachsen (Saxony) that label the wife as "uxor."  Leporis.... Let's see what we find :-)

              the last name LEPORIS was found in Slovakia 60 times, overal count of localities, 16, in these localities:
              PRIEVIDZA III-NECPALY (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA – 16×;
              PRIEVIDZA I-STARÉ MESTO (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA – 12×;
              VECHEC, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPĽOU – 6×;
              PRIEVIDZA IV-KOPANICE (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA – 5×;
              NITRIANSKE PRAVNO, okr. PRIEVIDZA – 4×;
              KĽAČNO, okr. PRIEVIDZA – 3×;
              TURČIANSKE TEPLICE, okr. MARTIN (od r. 1996 TURČIANSKE TEPLICE) – 3×;
              HANDLOVÁ, okr. PRIEVIDZA – 2×;
              PRIEVIDZA II-PÍLY (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA – 2×;
              DUNAJSKÁ STREDA, okr. DUNAJSKÁ STREDA – 1×;
              KOMÁRNO, okr. KOMÁRNO – 1×;
              MODRA, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 PEZINOK) – 1×;
              PEZINOK, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 PEZINOK) – 1×;
              KARLOVA VES (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;
              DÚBRAVKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;
              VEČA (obec ŠAĽA), okr. GALANTA (od r. 1996 ŠAĽA) – 1×;

              The last name LEPÓRIS was found in Slovakia 8×, overall count of localities: 1, In the localities:
              UHORSKÉ, okr. LUČENEC (od r. 1996 POLTÁR) – 8×;

              Latin surnames are not so uncommon, as you see. I myself am related to Slovaks named Rafaelis....
              Ben

              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 3 8:48 PM
                Ben,

                Thanks for your welcome. I see you have found�some of the same occurances of Leporis that I have. The documents I have include my family's birth and death records from the Evangilical Church in Pivnice complete since thier arrival in the 1780's. Additionally I have a copy of the family's coat of arms and letter of issue from Maria Theresa. Also, in my possession is a combined document of the Siebacher's Wappenbuch and Hungarian 'Turul' which describe the possible evolution of the family's name to the latin which we use today. I say possible because the implications are significant to me and therefore warrant further scrutiny. FYI, Leporis is genitive case " of lepus ". Much of what I am uncovering today was lost to the family today even in Slovakia.

                What do you have as far as documentation? and what latin surname? In church records the names will be moved to Latin if possible,�for both churches depending on the time-period. It� is not uncommon,�for example, to find documents from the German land of Sachsen (Saxony) that label the wife as "uxor."� Leporis.... Let's see what we find�:-)

                the last name LEPORIS was found in Slovakia 60 times, overal count of localities, 16, in these localities:
                PRIEVIDZA III-NECPALY (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA � 16�;
                PRIEVIDZA I-STAR� MESTO (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA � 12�;
                VECHEC, okr. VRANOV NAD TOP�OU � 6�;
                PRIEVIDZA IV-KOPANICE (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA � 5�;
                NITRIANSKE PRAVNO, okr. PRIEVIDZA � 4�;
                K�A�NO, okr. PRIEVIDZA � 3�;
                TUR�IANSKE TEPLICE, okr. MARTIN (od r. 1996 TUR�IANSKE TEPLICE) � 3�;
                HANDLOV�, okr. PRIEVIDZA � 2�;
                PRIEVIDZA II-P�LY (obec PRIEVIDZA), okr. PRIEVIDZA � 2�;
                DUNAJSK� STREDA, okr. DUNAJSK� STREDA � 1�;
                KOM�RNO, okr. KOM�RNO � 1�;
                MODRA, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 PEZINOK) � 1�;
                PEZINOK, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 PEZINOK) � 1�;
                KARLOVA VES (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA � 1�;
                D�BRAVKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA � 1�;
                VE�A (obec �A�A), okr. GALANTA (od r. 1996 �A�A) � 1�;

                The last name LEP�RIS was found in Slovakia 8�, overall count of localities: 1, In the localities:
                UHORSK�, okr. LU�ENEC (od r. 1996 POLT�R) � 8�;

              • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 4 6:25 AM
                  Hello ?

                  Latin is often the official language of record in church books, not
                  necessarily the indigenous name, spoken or daily spelling of the subject in
                  question.

                  I am also rather confused as to your self-identified ethnicity. You label
                  yourself as both Czech and Slovak. Was there inter-marriage?

                  Using Ben's reference is useful, as is the online Slovakia phonebook.

                  I would however use these sources only as a starting point. Surnames may
                  be entirely unrelated, even within a small radius. I trust you will not
                  make an assumption that they are related based on the surname alone.

                  If, as you indicate your family has some heraldic components, you may want
                  to pursue this path. As you know, heraldic records are fairly complete for
                  good reason: succession, taxation and property ownership. There is a major
                  Heraldic association in Slovakia. Having said this, many "lesser nobles"
                  squandered their fortunes and titles and resumed peasant status in later
                  years.

                  As you will come to learn, I am generally not very enthusiastic about
                  trying to "read" into a surname. Surnames were adopted as late as the 16th
                  century. Most surnames morphed over time and any original meaning is often
                  times lost. Others will disagree, and certainly there are exceptions.
                  However, exceptions are the minority case.

                  All of this is not meant to discourage, but rather to ground you in the
                  realities and probabilities. This can save you considerable time in
                  minimizing wild goose chases. As they say in the military, "trust but
                  verify". Or, as I say, note the data, but insist on corroborative evidence
                  from a second, independent source before you count it as fact.

                  Good Luck to you.

                  Regards,

                  Bill

                  p.s., It would be a consideration to us if you would reveal your given
                  name, so we know to whom we are conversing with.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 4 7:00 AM
                    Bill wrote:

                    "If, as you indicate your family has some heraldic components, you may want
                    to pursue this path. As you know, heraldic records are fairly complete for
                    good reason: succession, taxation and property ownership. There is a major
                    Heraldic association in Slovakia. Having said this, many "lesser nobles"
                    squandered their fortunes and titles and resumed peasant status in later
                    years.

                    As you will come to learn, I am generally not very enthusiastic about
                    trying to "read" into a surname. Surnames were adopted as late as the 16th
                    century. Most surnames morphed over time and any original meaning is often
                    times lost. Others will disagree, and certainly there are exceptions.
                    However, exceptions are the minority case."

                    GREAT points, Bill!
                    But, I have to also add that I have, in the course of my studies come across one more point to just fill what I think is one empty space: KNOW what you are reading!!!! At work, one girl came up to me saying that she was sure that she is German Nobility, and showed me what she had.  There was a coat of arms of the ruling family that she got from somewhere- and the occupation listed in the death-record she was showing me was: arbeiter! (labourer!) NOT exactly royalty. I think she had the coat-of-arms of the family her ancestors worked for. :-) Also, another friend found some letters, and said he found his grandmother's origin- Weiss Nicht! :-D I hated to break it to him that he just told me that he has made no progress- but complemented his German, and told him to start with Ich. :-D (Ich weiss nicht means "I don't know.") These sources are invaluable- but worthless if you don't know what you are reading.

                    If you find a "Kovac," for example, in your family, good luck on using it to find a location. Kovac means smith or metalworker, and every town had them. Seeing names in Latin, as Bill pointed out is common, and my marriage records are a mix of Slovak and Latin- and these are MY personal records!  Also, surnames had many systems, there were patrionic systems, locality names, etc.... and as he said, nothing solidified untill about the 1500's. Even then, some are NOT going to jive.

                    The heraldry is interesting- but I wish you more luck than my family had: On mom's side, she is from the clan McClellan. It was a good name, but one of our more "favorite" people drank and gambled the fortune away in the mid 1800's. His need for opiates has destroyed my dream of living in the Scottish countryside in a quaint 18,000 sq. foot castle... :-P

                    Take care!
                    Ben

                  • Julie Michutka
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 4 8:31 AM
                      I'm on the fly today, so please excuse some short comments; I don't
                      mean to come across as abrupt.

                      "Lepus" is Latin for "hare"; leporis is indeed the genitive singular.
                      The name might in fact be Latin, or might be a coincidence of spelling.

                      Re: the IGI: never take it as gospel. Some people submit shoddy
                      work, eg you find your 3 x great-grandmother's birthdate! Hooray!
                      Being a good researcher, you manage to track down the submitter and
                      ask for the source of the birthdate, and alas, they reply "oh, I took
                      the marriage date and subtracted 16 years". Really.

                      Gotta run; welcome to the new member!

                      Julie Michutka
                      jmm@...
                    • L. LEPORIS
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 4 11:32 AM
                        Great points to remember, as I do when I find yet another piece of the puzzle. I'm always sceptical when finding something new. I am lucky that the family didn't move anywhere for such a long time while in Pivnice. I am taking it one step at a time to go back perhaps to Presov. We'll see.

                        Ludovit

[...]

                      • Bernardine Weigand
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 27, 2011
                          Hello,
                          After a long absence I am returning to your group. I look forward to
                          learning and sharing.
                          The family names in my Slovak heritage are: KOPERVAS(Z), MAKUCH,
                          CALFA , SZABOCIK, from the villages of CIERNE POLE and PAVLOVCE nad
                          UHOM.

                          I was very fortunate to have met some close relatives (first cousin
                          once removed) on the KOPERVAS side on 2 trips to Slovakia.
                          Sadly,this cousin passed away 3 yrs. ago. The information and history
                          she shared could only get back to my great-grandmothers CALFA AND
                          SZABOCIK. I hope to learn the names of g.g.grandparents.

                          Bernardine
                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 27, 2011
                            Bernardine,
                            Good new for you.
                            Pavlovce nad Uhom records are online. http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#w=0&p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1554443 This link will hopefully open on the page for the online records that lists the different denominations. Click on Roman Catholic, then scroll down to Pavlovce nad Uhom, click on it to open the record files.
                            The 1995 Slovak Census data base says that in Pavlovce nad Uhom there lived 13 Calfa and 12 Calfova and 14 Sabovcik and 13 Sabovcikova. You difficulty will be sorting your family out from those records. The data base had no listing for Kopervasz. The surname Makuch had 52 listings in 24 locations. Of the top ten locations 7 were in districts of far eastern Slovakia. Neither of your places were listed in the top ten.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 28, 2011
                              >>> The family names in my Slovak heritage are: KOPERVAS(Z), MAKUCH,
                              CALFA , SZABOCIK, from the villages of CIERNE POLE and PAVLOVCE nad UHOM. <<<

                              It would be best to start a new thread rather than hijacking an existing one. That way, your replies will be segregated and grouped with the question/issue.

                              What RELIGION was the family. RC records for Pavlovce nad uhom are online.