Re: [S-R] baptismal - sodalis

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
      Maxine,

      If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
      that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
      I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
      all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
      consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
      page, we can add to it as time passes.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

      > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
      us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
      we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
      be helpful. maxine

      > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

      Olsavszky" was
      > added to correct the wrong name, Kuczko. But of course this leaves the
      > question of why Kuczko was used in the first place.
      >
      > It is possible that Olsavszky was an alias of Kuczko, but in those
      cases it
      > usually just says "alias."
      >
      > Or it might have simply been an error of the priest in writing
      down the
      > wrong name and then later correcting it, but you wouldn't think it
      would
      > have happened twice.
      >
      > Do you see the use of the name Kuczko elsewhere in the records?
      >
      > I don't think John's "relicta" can be right since you indicate she was
      > "virgo" in her marriage record.
      >
      > The word "asciarius," as John has already said, means carpenter,
      and must
      > refer to Makara.
      >
      > The word "sod" is a puzzle to me.
      >
      > Janet
      >
      > _____
      >
      > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com

      Makara
      > Fam., were the name of our greatgrandmother was entered with an
      addition,
      > that I don't see in other entries.
      > Under the heading for the parents of the baptized it looks like :
      > Johann Makara
      > Maria Kuczko recte
      > Olsavszky
      > asciarius sod. RC
      > In the other 5 baptism, Maria is refered to as "Maria Olsavszky"
      (or varius
      > spellings of that name!) only.
      > In the marriage record she is refered to as "virgo" under heading of
      > "conditio"
      > What could the word "recte" mean in your opinion? The copy from
      the film is
      > not too good, but that is what I make of it. Just wondering.
      >
      > Christine

    • June McKee
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
        Ron,
        I think that is a great idea. I know that many of the new researchers do not have the dictionarys and I think that would be very helpful to them.

        June

        If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
        that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
        I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
        all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
        consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
        page, we can add to it as time passes.

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

        > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
        us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
        we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
        be helpful. maxine

        > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

      • maxine
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
          Hi, having a list of "words" would be great! It must be stated if they are Rusyn or Slovak or ? I would be more than happy to do this, however,
          I have no knowledge of any language. Only know a few words. It is my hope someday to contribute to this group, and others, however, I am just learning myself. Attempting to learn the computer for 3 years now and the history, customs, etc of my people. Presently the only thing I can contribute are photo's. But there again I do not know how to send them. One day I hope to be able to contribute a lot more as I have learned much from the people on this site. Ron, I believe you know this! thanks guys maxine sasala

          If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
          that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
          I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
          all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
          consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
          page, we can add to it as time passes.

          Ron

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

          > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
          us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
          we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
          be helpful. maxine

          > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
            Google "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records" by Jared H.
            Suess and see if your library has it or can get it. Long out of print.
            Very informative 100 page manual.
          • Helen France
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
              or you can try this site:

              http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?Aid=&Gid=
              &Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=undefined&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry
              =&Loc=undefined

              Google "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records" by Jared H.
              Suess and see if your library has it or can get it. Long out of print.
              Very informative 100 page manual.

              Checked by AVG.
              11:30 AM

            • PHILBAER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                You can still download the .pdf document - I just did.

                In a message dated 12/2/2007 10:47:55 P.M. W. Europe Standard Time,
                johnqadam@... writes:

                >>> or you can try this site:
                >
                > _http://www.familysehttp://wwhttp://www.famhttp://wwhttp://www.fhttp_
                (http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?)
                Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=Sisgid=<W&<WBR&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
                b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

                NOT. They removed the pdf file.

              • Helen France
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Yes, you're correct. Just click at upper right hand and there you have it!
                  Don't know what the problem was with John.

                  johnqadam@... writes:

                  >>> or you can try this site:
                  >
                  > _http://www.familysehttp://wwhttp://www.famhttp://wwhttp://www.fhttp_
                  (http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?)
                  Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=Sisgid=<W&<WBR&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
                  b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

                  NOT. They removed the pdf file.

                  Checked by AVG.
                  11:30 AM

                • Cheryl Gentsy-Penkrot
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                    The PDF file is located on the upper right hand side of the page...Click on the area that says PDF download the printable...you will have 15 pages of wonder of the hungarian language. Hope this helps... :)

                    Cheri

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                      Hi everyone, when I say "word list", I do NOT mean every word. I mean the ones that "come up" or are useful for searching families, or words your grandparents used, on documents, that kind of stuff. Agree or disagree maxine sasala

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                        >>> You can still download the .pdf document - I just did. <<<

                        CORRECT. Click on pdf and the file is found!!!!
                      • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                          No, Maxine
                          It would be latin-english
                          Vladimir

                          _____

                          If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                          that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                          I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                          all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                          consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                          page, we can add to it as time passes.

                          Ron

                          yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                          > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                          us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                          we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                          be helpful. maxine

                          > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                        • maxine
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                            Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin, Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

                          • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                              Dear Maxine,
                              Studying church records is not that simple as one might think. If you can
                              not read what is there then the whole effort is in vain. You will miss
                              information.
                              Some people do their "own research" by coordinating the work of other people
                              who know.
                              If you really want to do it by yourself, then you have to learn and learn.
                              Vladimir

                              _____

                              Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are
                              confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin,
                              Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

                              If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                              that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                              I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                              all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                              consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                              page, we can add to it as time passes.

                              Ron

                              yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                              > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                              us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                              we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                              be helpful. maxine

                              > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                            • maxine
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                                Thanks Valadimir for the info and you are right. However, I do not do it by myself, I do not have the knowledge you and the others have. I am still learning and I have a lot to learn. That is why these sites, like SR, are so helpful, usually everyone on the site tries to help each other. I am grateful for that. maxine

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                                  Hello Maxine,

                                  Vladimir is most certainly correct. Simply knowing the words will not be
                                  sufficient. Understanding the context in which they are written is
                                  essential. That's why when someone asks for a translation of a word or
                                  sentence, I ask to see the whole page or more. It puts it into context of
                                  the writer, the handwriting, the general form of the document. From there
                                  we can deduce the style and method of that particular writer - everyone
                                  writes differently.

                                  Taken to the next level, understanding the history of the time in which
                                  you are examining is extremely helpful and productive. National, regional
                                  and village histories are all essential reading. Again, this is putting
                                  the event in context. It helps to explain the "why" which we are always
                                  left with.

                                  Care must often be taken when we make generalizations. Often we find
                                  ourselves grasping for generalizations, perhaps about lifestyle of our
                                  ancestors. We may take a wide-ranging book on Slovak customs and assume
                                  they were the same in our village. Maybe not. Even from nearby villages,
                                  customs could vary significantly. There are more than 2,500 villages in
                                  Slovakia alone.

                                  We must also take care not to assume or "read into" material too deeply or
                                  take a single data point as fact. I always insist on at least one
                                  additional, independent source by which to corroborate my facts. It is
                                  only then that I have enough confidence to declare it a fact.

                                  Back to words. First, you must at least identify which language the
                                  document is written in before you even have a chance to begin. Read more,
                                  look at all the samples you can, not just of your research work, but the
                                  work of others.

                                  With regard to word lists, there are hundreds of word lists available
                                  today. Perhaps the best lists are those compiled and available for free
                                  from the Family History Center.
                                  http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp

                                  For Example:
                                  Latin: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/guide/WLLatin.asp
                                  "Hungarian"/Magyar: http://tinyurl.com/b9qqx
                                  There are several others.

                                  I have also compiled a list of my favorites,
                                  http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/language.htm which is a good starting
                                  point.

                                  Best of Luck,

                                  Bill Tarkulich

                                  --
                                  Bill Tarkulich
                                  http://www.iabsi.com
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                                    Dear Maxine,
                                    What I mean is, when you are sitting with the viewer, you are alone. You can
                                    not consult the this site. In case you get stuck, you must stop , go home
                                    and talk to us. But, you must also be able to realize that there is
                                    something you should be able to read before going on.This is not very
                                    practical, if you stop every now and then. If you can not read, you don't
                                    even know what and when you missed something.
                                    Best,
                                    Vladimir

                                    _____

                                    From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com