Re: [S-R] baptismal - sodalis

  • maxine
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
      Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would be helpful. maxine

      ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of konekta@.... <mailto:konekta%40nm.psg.sk> sk
      Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 4:01 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [S-R] baptismal

      We already explained in the past what the word Sodalis means.
      Vladimir

      _____

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Janet Kozlay
      Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 9:59 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

      Dear Christine,

      The word recte means correctly. I am guessing that "recte Olsavszky" was
      added to correct the wrong name, Kuczko. But of course this leaves the
      question of why Kuczko was used in the first place.

      It is possible that Olsavszky was an alias of Kuczko, but in those cases it
      usually just says "alias."

      Or it might have simply been an error of the priest in writing down the
      wrong name and then later correcting it, but you wouldn't think it would
      have happened twice.

      Do you see the use of the name Kuczko elsewhere in the records?

      I don't think John's "relicta" can be right since you indicate she was
      "virgo" in her marriage record.

      The word "asciarius," as John has already said, means carpenter, and must
      refer to Makara.

      The word "sod" is a puzzle to me.

      Janet

      _____

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of christine mackara
      Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 3:15 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] baptismal

      Hello,
      I need some help.
      I found in the RC records of Presov, two baptismal entries for the Makara
      Fam., were the name of our greatgrandmother was entered with an addition,
      that I don't see in other entries.
      Under the heading for the parents of the baptized it looks like :
      Johann Makara
      Maria Kuczko recte
      Olsavszky
      asciarius sod. RC
      In the other 5 baptism, Maria is refered to as "Maria Olsavszky" (or varius
      spellings of that name!) only.
      In the marriage record she is refered to as "virgo" under heading of
      "conditio"
      What could the word "recte" mean in your opinion? The copy from the film is
      not too good, but that is what I make of it. Just wondering.

      Christine

    • lkocik@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
        Christine
        Hi...My name is Kocik {Larry} I have 13 variants from legal documents and gravestones. Kotcik wasn't one. I certainly don't want to add to any confusion, but if I can help with the Kocik surname let me know...I have years worth of research.
        As David says,... don't get discouraged. In the beginning it can seem hopeless with all the contradictions and misspellings. My greatgrandfather emmigrated under one spelling of his name. His death certificate had another, and his grave stone another, and still there was another on his naturalization papers.
        One day when things finally click, you'll rub your chin, and with a smile of satisfaction, know where you are in the family of man, and that's when you'll know it was worth the struggle.
        Larry Kocik
        lkocik@...
        From: david1law@...
        Hi Christine:

        I just wanted to give you a note of encouragement. I believe you are on the
        right track. While certain entries in the church records, standing alone,
        can be confusing, they often become a little less confusing when they are
        corroborated by other entries, which, it appears, is exactly what you are doing --
        as you mentioned in your earlier e-mail that there were two baptismal
        entries where you found that the name of your great grandmother was found with an
        addition. In the parish records in SIROKE, which is located to the west of
        PRESOV in the SARIS HIGHLANDS, I have seen some aliases used where the alias
        surname -- in this case BALOGA-KOCIK -- ultimately traced back to a marriage in
        the early 1800's between an ANDREAS BALOGA (also spelled BALOG among other
        variants) and a SUSANNA KOTSIK. While the records may often be a puzzle, the
        fact that you are gathering the additional information on the siblings, etc.
        -- the CLUSTER GENEALOGY approach -- really does help. When I have run into
        confusing puzzles in the church records, I have found that the best approach
        is to collect all of the information on that surname (including its possible
        variants) in that particular parish, as the more documents, the better and
        there may be certain common details, such as the names of the godparents
        (where the same persons were often used for each of the children in a particular
        family) or a house number. In short, the little details often help piece
        together the puzzle. JOHN ADAM was particularly helpful in helping me track down
        my great, great, great grandparents MATHIAS BALOGA and his wife ANNA. There
        were two MATHIAS BALOGA in the village, both born in 1804 according to the
        1869 Urbarial Census, and both married to women named ANNA, and through
        examining the little details, and double-checking these records against other
        records in the parish relating to the respective families, the identity of my
        great, great, great grandparents became more clear. So, JOHN ADAM, if you are
        reading this (and I know you are), thank you again, my friend! While looking
        for additional entries in the parish records for a family may sometimes take
        a greater amount of time, it is well worth it as the additional information
        which can be gleaned from these records, often fill in additional details and
        additional pieces to the puzzle that we call genealogy. It appears that you
        are on the right track, Christine.

        Best regards,

        David

        P.S. If you come across the BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH among other variants) in
        the church records in PRESOV, please let me know.

      • lkocik@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
          Christine
          Me again...If you drop the Magyar "z" from Kuczko it gives you the nick name of my great uncle John Kocik; kucko. I saw it spelled Kucki once also. I have no idea of the origin of the nickname though.
          Larry

          From: <konekta@...>

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
            Maxine, you mean Quick Draw Mc'Graw? :-)
            There is one obstacle:
            I do not have a direct access to my home page. I have to ask someone to do
            that and this is not very practical, since the man is very busy. Maybe some
            time in the future I will put all known occupations there.
            In the mean time, everyone interested can make such a dictionary for
            himself, no?
            Regards,
            Vladimir

            _____

            From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
              Maxine,

              If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
              that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
              I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
              all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
              consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
              page, we can add to it as time passes.

              Ron

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

              > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
              us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
              we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
              be helpful. maxine

              > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

            • June McKee
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                Ron,
                I think that is a great idea. I know that many of the new researchers do not have the dictionarys and I think that would be very helpful to them.

                June

                If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                page, we can add to it as time passes.

                Ron

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                be helpful. maxine

                > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

              • maxine
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                  Hi, having a list of "words" would be great! It must be stated if they are Rusyn or Slovak or ? I would be more than happy to do this, however,
                  I have no knowledge of any language. Only know a few words. It is my hope someday to contribute to this group, and others, however, I am just learning myself. Attempting to learn the computer for 3 years now and the history, customs, etc of my people. Presently the only thing I can contribute are photo's. But there again I do not know how to send them. One day I hope to be able to contribute a lot more as I have learned much from the people on this site. Ron, I believe you know this! thanks guys maxine sasala

                  If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                  that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                  I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                  all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                  consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                  page, we can add to it as time passes.

                  Ron

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                  > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                  us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                  we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                  be helpful. maxine

                  > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                • johnqadam
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Google "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records" by Jared H.
                    Suess and see if your library has it or can get it. Long out of print.
                    Very informative 100 page manual.
                  • Helen France
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                      or you can try this site:

                      http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?Aid=&Gid=
                      &Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=undefined&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry
                      =&Loc=undefined

                      Google "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records" by Jared H.
                      Suess and see if your library has it or can get it. Long out of print.
                      Very informative 100 page manual.

                      Checked by AVG.
                      11:30 AM

                    • PHILBAER@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                        You can still download the .pdf document - I just did.

                        In a message dated 12/2/2007 10:47:55 P.M. W. Europe Standard Time,
                        johnqadam@... writes:

                        >>> or you can try this site:
                        >
                        > _http://www.familysehttp://wwhttp://www.famhttp://wwhttp://www.fhttp_
                        (http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?)
                        Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=Sisgid=<W&<WBR&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
                        b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

                        NOT. They removed the pdf file.

                      • Helen France
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                          Yes, you're correct. Just click at upper right hand and there you have it!
                          Don't know what the problem was with John.

                          johnqadam@... writes:

                          >>> or you can try this site:
                          >
                          > _http://www.familysehttp://wwhttp://www.famhttp://wwhttp://www.fhttp_
                          (http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?)
                          Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=Sisgid=<W&<WBR&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
                          b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

                          NOT. They removed the pdf file.

                          Checked by AVG.
                          11:30 AM

                        • Cheryl Gentsy-Penkrot
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                            The PDF file is located on the upper right hand side of the page...Click on the area that says PDF download the printable...you will have 15 pages of wonder of the hungarian language. Hope this helps... :)

                            Cheri

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                              Hi everyone, when I say "word list", I do NOT mean every word. I mean the ones that "come up" or are useful for searching families, or words your grandparents used, on documents, that kind of stuff. Agree or disagree maxine sasala

                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                                >>> You can still download the .pdf document - I just did. <<<

                                CORRECT. Click on pdf and the file is found!!!!
                              • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                                  No, Maxine
                                  It would be latin-english
                                  Vladimir

                                  _____

                                  If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                                  that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                                  I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                                  all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                                  consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                                  page, we can add to it as time passes.

                                  Ron

                                  yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                  > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                                  us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                                  we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                                  be helpful. maxine

                                  > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                                • maxine
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                                    Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin, Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

                                  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                                      Dear Maxine,
                                      Studying church records is not that simple as one might think. If you can
                                      not read what is there then the whole effort is in vain. You will miss
                                      information.
                                      Some people do their "own research" by coordinating the work of other people
                                      who know.
                                      If you really want to do it by yourself, then you have to learn and learn.
                                      Vladimir

                                      _____

                                      Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are
                                      confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin,
                                      Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

                                      If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                                      that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                                      I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                                      all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                                      consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                                      page, we can add to it as time passes.

                                      Ron

                                      yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                      > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                                      us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                                      we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                                      be helpful. maxine

                                      > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                                    • maxine
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                                        Thanks Valadimir for the info and you are right. However, I do not do it by myself, I do not have the knowledge you and the others have. I am still learning and I have a lot to learn. That is why these sites, like SR, are so helpful, usually everyone on the site tries to help each other. I am grateful for that. maxine

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                                          Hello Maxine,

                                          Vladimir is most certainly correct. Simply knowing the words will not be
                                          sufficient. Understanding the context in which they are written is
                                          essential. That's why when someone asks for a translation of a word or
                                          sentence, I ask to see the whole page or more. It puts it into context of
                                          the writer, the handwriting, the general form of the document. From there
                                          we can deduce the style and method of that particular writer - everyone
                                          writes differently.

                                          Taken to the next level, understanding the history of the time in which
                                          you are examining is extremely helpful and productive. National, regional
                                          and village histories are all essential reading. Again, this is putting
                                          the event in context. It helps to explain the "why" which we are always
                                          left with.

                                          Care must often be taken when we make generalizations. Often we find
                                          ourselves grasping for generalizations, perhaps about lifestyle of our
                                          ancestors. We may take a wide-ranging book on Slovak customs and assume
                                          they were the same in our village. Maybe not. Even from nearby villages,
                                          customs could vary significantly. There are more than 2,500 villages in
                                          Slovakia alone.

                                          We must also take care not to assume or "read into" material too deeply or
                                          take a single data point as fact. I always insist on at least one
                                          additional, independent source by which to corroborate my facts. It is
                                          only then that I have enough confidence to declare it a fact.

                                          Back to words. First, you must at least identify which language the
                                          document is written in before you even have a chance to begin. Read more,
                                          look at all the samples you can, not just of your research work, but the
                                          work of others.

                                          With regard to word lists, there are hundreds of word lists available
                                          today. Perhaps the best lists are those compiled and available for free
                                          from the Family History Center.
                                          http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp

                                          For Example:
                                          Latin: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/guide/WLLatin.asp
                                          "Hungarian"/Magyar: http://tinyurl.com/b9qqx
                                          There are several others.

                                          I have also compiled a list of my favorites,
                                          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/language.htm which is a good starting
                                          point.

                                          Best of Luck,

                                          Bill Tarkulich

                                          --
                                          Bill Tarkulich
                                          http://www.iabsi.com
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                                            Dear Maxine,
                                            What I mean is, when you are sitting with the viewer, you are alone. You can
                                            not consult the this site. In case you get stuck, you must stop , go home
                                            and talk to us. But, you must also be able to realize that there is
                                            something you should be able to read before going on.This is not very
                                            practical, if you stop every now and then. If you can not read, you don't
                                            even know what and when you missed something.
                                            Best,
                                            Vladimir

                                            _____

                                            From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com