RE: [S-R] baptismal

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
      We already explained in the past what the word Sodalis means.
      Vladimir

      _____

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of christine mackara
      Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 3:15 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] baptismal

      Hello,
      I need some help.
      I found in the RC records of Presov, two baptismal entries for the Makara
      Fam., were the name of our greatgrandmother was entered with an addition,
      that I don't see in other entries.
      Under the heading for the parents of the baptized it looks like :
      Johann Makara
      Maria Kuczko recte
      Olsavszky
      asciarius sod. RC
      In the other 5 baptism, Maria is refered to as "Maria Olsavszky" (or varius
      spellings of that name!) only.
      In the marriage record she is refered to as "virgo" under heading of
      "conditio"
      What could the word "recte" mean in your opinion? The copy from the film is
      not too good, but that is what I make of it. Just wondering.

      Christine

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
        Ah, Vladimir, you must be patient with us. Sometimes we need to see it more
        than once, if we even noted it the first time. I didn't even recognize it as
        an abbreviation. So could you give us a little hint?

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
          Dear Janet,
          It is Journeyman.
          Vladimir

          _____

          From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
          yahoogroups.com] On
          Behalf Of konekta@.... <mailto:konekta%40nm.psg.sk> sk
          Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 4:01 PM
          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
            Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would be helpful. maxine

            ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
              Thank you, Vladimir. So he was a journeyman carpenter.

              I'll not forget it this time.

              Janet

            • christine mackara
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
                Dear Janet and John,
                Thank you for your help. So, since we can't get into the head of that priest, we will prob. never know for sure.
                I had run it by someone at the Family History Center here in Cherry Hill, NJ, and he thought possibly, she was adopted. I don't know ?! After I became aware of the name Kuczko, I only found a death entry : Andreas Kuczko died 22. March 1827, age 70, widower.
                I haven't found her birth entry, but Maria Olsavszky was born about 1829

                Thank you again.
                Christine

                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
                  Hi Christine:

                  I just wanted to give you a note of encouragement. I believe you are on the
                  right track. While certain entries in the church records, standing alone,
                  can be confusing, they often become a little less confusing when they are
                  corroborated by other entries, which, it appears, is exactly what you are doing --
                  as you mentioned in your earlier e-mail that there were two baptismal
                  entries where you found that the name of your great grandmother was found with an
                  addition. In the parish records in SIROKE, which is located to the west of
                  PRESOV in the SARIS HIGHLANDS, I have seen some aliases used where the alias
                  surname -- in this case BALOGA-KOCIK -- ultimately traced back to a marriage in
                  the early 1800's between an ANDREAS BALOGA (also spelled BALOG among other
                  variants) and a SUSANNA KOTSIK. While the records may often be a puzzle, the
                  fact that you are gathering the additional information on the siblings, etc.
                  -- the CLUSTER GENEALOGY approach -- really does help. When I have run into
                  confusing puzzles in the church records, I have found that the best approach
                  is to collect all of the information on that surname (including its possible
                  variants) in that particular parish, as the more documents, the better and
                  there may be certain common details, such as the names of the godparents
                  (where the same persons were often used for each of the children in a particular
                  family) or a house number. In short, the little details often help piece
                  together the puzzle. JOHN ADAM was particularly helpful in helping me track down
                  my great, great, great grandparents MATHIAS BALOGA and his wife ANNA. There
                  were two MATHIAS BALOGA in the village, both born in 1804 according to the
                  1869 Urbarial Census, and both married to women named ANNA, and through
                  examining the little details, and double-checking these records against other
                  records in the parish relating to the respective families, the identity of my
                  great, great, great grandparents became more clear. So, JOHN ADAM, if you are
                  reading this (and I know you are), thank you again, my friend! While looking
                  for additional entries in the parish records for a family may sometimes take
                  a greater amount of time, it is well worth it as the additional information
                  which can be gleaned from these records, often fill in additional details and
                  additional pieces to the puzzle that we call genealogy. It appears that you
                  are on the right track, Christine.

                  Best regards,

                  David

                  P.S. If you come across the BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH among other variants) in
                  the church records in PRESOV, please let me know.

                • christine mackara
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
                    Thank you, David for your kind words.
                    I am so glad to have found this group to exchange ideas.
                    And I will definitely keep an eye open for "Baloga. "

                    Christine

                  • lkocik@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
                      Christine
                      Hi...My name is Kocik {Larry} I have 13 variants from legal documents and gravestones. Kotcik wasn't one. I certainly don't want to add to any confusion, but if I can help with the Kocik surname let me know...I have years worth of research.
                      As David says,... don't get discouraged. In the beginning it can seem hopeless with all the contradictions and misspellings. My greatgrandfather emmigrated under one spelling of his name. His death certificate had another, and his grave stone another, and still there was another on his naturalization papers.
                      One day when things finally click, you'll rub your chin, and with a smile of satisfaction, know where you are in the family of man, and that's when you'll know it was worth the struggle.
                      Larry Kocik
                      lkocik@...

                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 30, 2007
                        Christine
                        Me again...If you drop the Magyar "z" from Kuczko it gives you the nick name of my great uncle John Kocik; kucko. I saw it spelled Kucki once also. I have no idea of the origin of the nickname though.
                        Larry

                        From: <konekta@...>

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                          Maxine, you mean Quick Draw Mc'Graw? :-)
                          There is one obstacle:
                          I do not have a direct access to my home page. I have to ask someone to do
                          that and this is not very practical, since the man is very busy. Maybe some
                          time in the future I will put all known occupations there.
                          In the mean time, everyone interested can make such a dictionary for
                          himself, no?
                          Regards,
                          Vladimir

                          _____

                          From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                            Maxine,

                            If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                            that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                            I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                            all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                            consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                            page, we can add to it as time passes.

                            Ron

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                            > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                            us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                            we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                            be helpful. maxine

                            > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                          • June McKee
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                              Ron,
                              I think that is a great idea. I know that many of the new researchers do not have the dictionarys and I think that would be very helpful to them.

                              June

                              If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                              that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                              I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                              all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                              consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                              page, we can add to it as time passes.

                              Ron

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                              > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                              us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                              we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                              be helpful. maxine

                              > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                            • maxine
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                                Hi, having a list of "words" would be great! It must be stated if they are Rusyn or Slovak or ? I would be more than happy to do this, however,
                                I have no knowledge of any language. Only know a few words. It is my hope someday to contribute to this group, and others, however, I am just learning myself. Attempting to learn the computer for 3 years now and the history, customs, etc of my people. Presently the only thing I can contribute are photo's. But there again I do not know how to send them. One day I hope to be able to contribute a lot more as I have learned much from the people on this site. Ron, I believe you know this! thanks guys maxine sasala

                                If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                                that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                                I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                                all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                                consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                                page, we can add to it as time passes.

                                Ron

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                                us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                                we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                                be helpful. maxine

                                > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                              • johnqadam
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                                  Google "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records" by Jared H.
                                  Suess and see if your library has it or can get it. Long out of print.
                                  Very informative 100 page manual.
                                • Helen France
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                                    or you can try this site:

                                    http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?Aid=&Gid=
                                    &Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=undefined&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry
                                    =&Loc=undefined

                                    Google "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records" by Jared H.
                                    Suess and see if your library has it or can get it. Long out of print.
                                    Very informative 100 page manual.

                                    Checked by AVG.
                                    11:30 AM

                                  • PHILBAER@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                                      You can still download the .pdf document - I just did.

                                      In a message dated 12/2/2007 10:47:55 P.M. W. Europe Standard Time,
                                      johnqadam@... writes:

                                      >>> or you can try this site:
                                      >
                                      > _http://www.familysehttp://wwhttp://www.famhttp://wwhttp://www.fhttp_
                                      (http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?)
                                      Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=Sisgid=<W&<WBR&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
                                      b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

                                      NOT. They removed the pdf file.

                                    • Helen France
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                                        Yes, you're correct. Just click at upper right hand and there you have it!
                                        Don't know what the problem was with John.

                                        johnqadam@... writes:

                                        >>> or you can try this site:
                                        >
                                        > _http://www.familysehttp://wwhttp://www.famhttp://wwhttp://www.fhttp_
                                        (http://www.familysearch.org.uk/Eng/Search/rg/guide/WLHungarian.ASP?)
                                        Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Sisgid=Sisgid=<W&<WBR&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Su
                                        b=&Tab=&Entry=&Loc=undefined

                                        NOT. They removed the pdf file.

                                        Checked by AVG.
                                        11:30 AM

                                      • Cheryl Gentsy-Penkrot
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                                          The PDF file is located on the upper right hand side of the page...Click on the area that says PDF download the printable...you will have 15 pages of wonder of the hungarian language. Hope this helps... :)

                                          Cheri

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                                            Hi everyone, when I say "word list", I do NOT mean every word. I mean the ones that "come up" or are useful for searching families, or words your grandparents used, on documents, that kind of stuff. Agree or disagree maxine sasala

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                                              >>> You can still download the .pdf document - I just did. <<<

                                              CORRECT. Click on pdf and the file is found!!!!
                                            • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 2, 2007
                                                No, Maxine
                                                It would be latin-english
                                                Vladimir

                                                _____

                                                If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                                                that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                                                I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                                                all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                                                consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                                                page, we can add to it as time passes.

                                                Ron

                                                yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                                > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                                                us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                                                we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                                                be helpful. maxine

                                                > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                                              • maxine
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                                                  Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin, Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

                                                • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
                                                    Dear Maxine,
                                                    Studying church records is not that simple as one might think. If you can
                                                    not read what is there then the whole effort is in vain. You will miss
                                                    information.
                                                    Some people do their "own research" by coordinating the work of other people
                                                    who know.
                                                    If you really want to do it by yourself, then you have to learn and learn.
                                                    Vladimir

                                                    _____

                                                    Hi Vladimir, thanks for the info. I think that is why so many of us are
                                                    confused. Me at least. I do not know the difference between the latin,
                                                    Rusyn, Slovak, etc. Thanks for your help. maxine

                                                    If you are willing to collect and consolidate the individual lists
                                                    that members have, you could make a major contribution to the forum.
                                                    I have collected some words and I am sure others have as well. If we
                                                    all share, and you (or some other generous person) volunteers to
                                                    consolidate the list and post it under the 'files' part of the S-R web
                                                    page, we can add to it as time passes.

                                                    Ron

                                                    yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                                                    > Vladimir, since you are so knowledgeable, and without patience with
                                                    us, could you start a "file" with the words we are asking about. Then
                                                    we can refer back to them. New words are confusing to us. That would
                                                    be helpful. maxine

                                                    > ps Boy this group really shoots from the hip!

                                                  • maxine
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                                                      Thanks Valadimir for the info and you are right. However, I do not do it by myself, I do not have the knowledge you and the others have. I am still learning and I have a lot to learn. That is why these sites, like SR, are so helpful, usually everyone on the site tries to help each other. I am grateful for that. maxine

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                                                        Hello Maxine,

                                                        Vladimir is most certainly correct. Simply knowing the words will not be
                                                        sufficient. Understanding the context in which they are written is
                                                        essential. That's why when someone asks for a translation of a word or
                                                        sentence, I ask to see the whole page or more. It puts it into context of
                                                        the writer, the handwriting, the general form of the document. From there
                                                        we can deduce the style and method of that particular writer - everyone
                                                        writes differently.

                                                        Taken to the next level, understanding the history of the time in which
                                                        you are examining is extremely helpful and productive. National, regional
                                                        and village histories are all essential reading. Again, this is putting
                                                        the event in context. It helps to explain the "why" which we are always
                                                        left with.

                                                        Care must often be taken when we make generalizations. Often we find
                                                        ourselves grasping for generalizations, perhaps about lifestyle of our
                                                        ancestors. We may take a wide-ranging book on Slovak customs and assume
                                                        they were the same in our village. Maybe not. Even from nearby villages,
                                                        customs could vary significantly. There are more than 2,500 villages in
                                                        Slovakia alone.

                                                        We must also take care not to assume or "read into" material too deeply or
                                                        take a single data point as fact. I always insist on at least one
                                                        additional, independent source by which to corroborate my facts. It is
                                                        only then that I have enough confidence to declare it a fact.

                                                        Back to words. First, you must at least identify which language the
                                                        document is written in before you even have a chance to begin. Read more,
                                                        look at all the samples you can, not just of your research work, but the
                                                        work of others.

                                                        With regard to word lists, there are hundreds of word lists available
                                                        today. Perhaps the best lists are those compiled and available for free
                                                        from the Family History Center.
                                                        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp

                                                        For Example:
                                                        Latin: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/guide/WLLatin.asp
                                                        "Hungarian"/Magyar: http://tinyurl.com/b9qqx
                                                        There are several others.

                                                        I have also compiled a list of my favorites,
                                                        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/language.htm which is a good starting
                                                        point.

                                                        Best of Luck,

                                                        Bill Tarkulich

                                                        --
                                                        Bill Tarkulich
                                                        http://www.iabsi.com
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Dec 4, 2007
                                                          Dear Maxine,
                                                          What I mean is, when you are sitting with the viewer, you are alone. You can
                                                          not consult the this site. In case you get stuck, you must stop , go home
                                                          and talk to us. But, you must also be able to realize that there is
                                                          something you should be able to read before going on.This is not very
                                                          practical, if you stop every now and then. If you can not read, you don't
                                                          even know what and when you missed something.
                                                          Best,
                                                          Vladimir

                                                          _____

                                                          From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com