Re: Portage vs Windber - Windber Churches

  • pstagen
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2007
      Could you post the given and surnames of some of the Windber people
      who said they were "Russian" or the surnames of those Windberites
      whose parents came from Europe? It may help to establish the area of
      the Carpathians they came from. An in-law of mine swore she was
      Russian but, upon digging, we found her roots lay in Ruske, A-H, and
      her ethnic roots were Rusyn. It was her father who pronounced "Ruske"
      and "Russian" similarly.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Paulochik"
      <paulpaulochik@...> wrote:

      > All I know is that the ones I went to school with (and their
      families)
      > said they were Russian. Residents of Windber and the rest of the
      area
      > refer to it as "the Russian church".
      >
      > The Russian agitation to turn Greek Catholics to Orthodoxy began
      early-
      > to mid-19th century. While there certainly were religious
      implications,
      > it was encouraged by the Czar as a means to weaken the influence of
      the
      > Austro-Hungarian empire in the Slavic lands. Think of it, not in
      > religious terms, but as one more front in the Pan-Slavic campaign to
      > gather all Slavs under Russian domination going on at the time, and
      it
      > makes more sense. The fact that in America, well away from the
      Slavic

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com]
      > On Behalf Of J.
      > Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:05 AM
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [S-R] Portage vs Windber - Windber Churches
      >

      > Regarding Saints Peter & Paul Church in Winder, Pa...
      >
      > " If you ask them, they will tell you they are Russian."
      >
      > "The Carpathian Mountains cover a LOT of territory in the old
      > Austro-Hungarian Empire.
      > Do these people have a name?"
      >
      > "Lots of Rusyns "went back to the religion of their ancestors" due
      > pressure from Russian
      > Orthodox, which was a tool of the Russian Empire to spread it's
      > influence."

      > Sts. P & P Church is part of the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox
      > Diocese of America.
      > So, I am just guessing that they identify most with the immigrants
      from
      > the Eastern
      > Slovakian Carpathian Mtn region, since that is the area from which
      many
      > members of
      > ACROD originated. (Many, perhaps not all.)
      >
      > As far as coming under pressure/influence of the Russian Orthodox
      Church
      > & Russian
      > Empire, ACROD joined itself directly to the Ecumencial Patriarchate
      of
      > Constantinople -
      > returning to their original spiritual teachings, as given to all the
      > Slavs by Sts. Cyril &
      > Methodius.
      >
      > Now, just hazarding another guess: If the aforementioned
      > political/religious Russians
      > were pulling strings on this particular group of immigrants inside
      > America...why didn't
      > these same immigrants band together & join with the Patriarchate of
      > Moscow, for
      > example? Instead, they were motivated to join with Constantinople.
      Also,
      > I think that the
      > time frame in which ACROD was formed was well after the end of the
      > Czarist Russian
      > Empire. So, was there really such a "Russian" influence on this
      group?
      > I'm guessing that, in
      > this case, there was not.

      > > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      > yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@
      > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com]
      > > On Behalf Of vchromoho
      > >
      > The Carpathian Mountains cover a LOT of territory in the old
      > Austro-Hungarian Empire.
      > Do these people have a name?
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      > yahoogroups.com, "Paul Paulochik" <paulpaulochik@> wrote:
      > >
      > > If you ask them, they will tell you they are Russian.

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      > yahoogroups.com, "Paul Paulochik" <paulpaulochik@> wrote:
      > >
      > > If you ask them, they will tell you they are Russian.
      >
      > They broke away
      > > from St Mary's Rusyn Greek Catholic Church over arguments of
      ethnic
      > > identity and religious practice. Lots of Rusyns "went back to the
      > > religion of their ancestors" due to pressure from Russian
      Orthodox,
      > > which was a tool of the Russian Empire to spread it's influence.

      Carpathians