RE: [S-R] Portage vs Windber - Windber Churches

  • Paul Paulochik
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2007
      All I know is that the ones I went to school with (and their families)
      said they were Russian. Residents of Windber and the rest of the area
      refer to it as "the Russian church".

      The Russian agitation to turn Greek Catholics to Orthodoxy began early-
      to mid-19th century. While there certainly were religious implications,
      it was encouraged by the Czar as a means to weaken the influence of the
      Austro-Hungarian empire in the Slavic lands. Think of it, not in
      religious terms, but as one more front in the Pan-Slavic campaign to
      gather all Slavs under Russian domination going on at the time, and it
      makes more sense. The fact that in America, well away from the Slavic
      lands, they joined with Constantinople instead of Moscow is irrelevant
      to the original Russian (government) aims, and would have been a
      'temporary miscalculation' to the Russian (religious) aims.

      That's the problem with this whole issue - you need to know lots of
      history from lots of sources to get an idea of what's going on. For all
      I know, I'm misunderstanding my sources, but it sure makes sense when
      you think of it this way!

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 30, 2007
        Could you post the given and surnames of some of the Windber people
        who said they were "Russian" or the surnames of those Windberites
        whose parents came from Europe? It may help to establish the area of
        the Carpathians they came from. An in-law of mine swore she was
        Russian but, upon digging, we found her roots lay in Ruske, A-H, and
        her ethnic roots were Rusyn. It was her father who pronounced "Ruske"
        and "Russian" similarly.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Paulochik"

        ROOTS@yahoogroups.com]