Windber Churches

  • Gordon Grening
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2007
      Thanks for the info on the churches. It will be helpful next time I get up to Johnstown.

      So, Holy Child was Irish Catholic. Now why would my grandmother be buried from an Irish Catholic Church and not SS C & M. She was Slovak and died in May 1933. Even stranger she was buried in St. John Gaulbert's Cemetery on Bedford Street and not in the SS C & M Cemetery where her father was.

      I do know that she and my grandfather belonged to some sort of Catholic religious group. I think it was/is called "The Third Order." They both were buried in I think brown monk or friar robes. Could this be a reason why the Slovak church would not conduct the burial mass and allow them to be buried in the Slovak cemetery.