RE: [S-R] Can someone help me figure this out ? Georg Tkacs

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
      I do not mean to offend, but by the way you are writing, I assume English is
      not your native language? Whenever people post information for
      interpretation, it is very important to state what your source of these data
      are. It looks like it was taken from some sort of computer database,
      correct?

      To your specific questions:
      What exactly is the birth order mean?
      - there is no "birth order" listed. Please re-state your question.

      The microfilms are the United States National Archives of the Port of New
      York ship manifests, available for public viewing. Serial and Number are
      index data to locate the correct microfilm reel.

      As with all data, you cannot assume it is 100% accurate.
      You cannot assume the ethnicity is correct, it was often "determined" by the
      spoken language of the immigrant.

      With reference to "birth location" kgydomesa.

      Anytime someone has transcribed what they say on a written ship manifest
      into a computer database, I am very suspicious and doubtful that it was
      transcribed correctly. My immediate response is to want to see the actual
      manifest, which should be available for viewing on www.ellisisland.org for
      no cost.

      With that in mind, I might suggest that the birth location could be
      'NAGYDOMASA", which was in the former Hungary county of Zemplen. The
      present-day village name is VELKA DOMASA.

      I hope this helps.

      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
        >>> Birth Location Other: kgydomesa <<<

        Born in Nagydomesa (sp error) (see the manifest NOT the
        transcription). Velká Domaša, Slovakia; formerly Nagydomása, Zemplén,
        Hungary.

        CURRENT MAP

        Velka Domasa is located 49°01' 21°43'. However, it isn't even marked
        on current maps. It is near Holc'ikovce and may have been flooded by
        damming of the Ondava River.

        1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
        The old Hungarian map can be found at:
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg

        CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just
        get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
        likely find in church records.

        LDS has church records available.
      • Frank R. Plichta
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
          I don't understand your question. "Birth Order"??? I don't see that in the
          data.

          frank

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2007
            BIRTH OTHER I MEANT SORRY

            "Frank R. Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote: I don't understand your question. "Birth Order"??? I don't see that in the
            data.

            frank

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 21, 2008
              I am still in search of Gyorg Tkacs and his birthplace, father and
              marriage date. I have his death date in America. I also am looking
              for his wife's name I know it is Maria possible DURTA. Can you help
              me out. My grandmother is 97 years old and I want to give this
              information to her. Thanks

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
                Dear ?

                It appears below that John gave you the birthplace/village name, no?

                The remaining information is likely contained in the Family History Center
                Library microfilms that John also identified below. Have you gone there
                to view them? You're not going to find that information on the internet.

                Finding Gyorg Tkac? I think you will need to go to the Velka Domasa
                cemetery ;)

                Bill

                and identified

                --
                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
                  No I know hwere he was buried in America. I do not know how to go to the LDS I have tried to locate this. Please explain more to help me out. Thanks Deb

                  Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote: Dear ?

                  --
                  Bill Tarkulich
                  http://www.iabsi.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
                    The Mormons explain it best:
                    http://tinyurl.com/ej2y

                    http://tinyurl.com/23bjxg

                    --
                    Bill Tarkulich
                    http://www.iabsi.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
                      Present day Holcikovce from 1927 to 1966 was called Velka Domasa. Here is the link to the page with the information: www.cisarik.com/village-0276.html
                      There is also a list of surnames for the village, Takac is among them.
                      Michael Mojher

                      wrote:

                      > Born in Nagydomesa (sp error) (see the manifest NOT the
                      > transcription). Velká Domasa, Slovakia; formerly Nagydomása,
                      Zemplén,