Re:Immigration Papers

  • robert_shive
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2007
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, PHILBAER@... wrote:

      > Folks,
      >
      > I too requested immigration and naturalization papers from
      Homeland
      > Security. I gave them very precise information hoping it would
      speed up the process.
      > I was surprised to get a reply in about a month. BUT, the reply
      was merely an
      > acknowledgement of receiving the request. The letter said they were
      so
      > backlogged with requests that it would approximately two years to
      get the
      > documents! I forgot to request legible copies; hope I do not
      experience the same
      > thing.
      >
      > Philip Baer

      Philip --

      I am not sure what dates this may apply to, but not all
      naturalizations were perfromed in Federal Courts. Your ancestor may
      have been naturalized in a state or county court. If you know the
      approximate date and where he was naturalized, you can write to the
      clerk of the court. I was fortunate enough to get my g-grandfather's
      papers from the county clerk in Warren County, NJ. Good copy quality
      too, though I amiagine that this may depend on the copier quality and
      the person.