Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] [Admin] about Rootsweb's merger today

  • Jim Sagat
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 21, 2000
      IF IT ISNT FREE.......I'M OUT OF HERE!

      JIM

    • sabinov@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 21, 2000
        What are you talking about? "if it's not free I'm outta here"????

        That email was about Rootsweb... and this list isn't even -on- Rootsweb.

        Read the message before you jump to conclusions please. I was trying to
        1) let you know about the merger and 2) allow you to take advantage of a
        14 day free offer on ancestry.com

      • Gregory J. Kopchak
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 21, 2000
          Maura:

          Ancestry has a 30 day money back guarantee trial offer all the time. It's a
          no strings attached, no questions asked deal.

          The 30 day trial offer gives you more time to explore the site and see if it
          is worth keeping.

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative

          http://click.egroups.com/1/2658/0/_/545880/_/961638424/
        • sabinov@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 21, 2000
            Because I sent it to this list as it's listowner just as I did to my
            lists I run on rootsweb .... because I thought -some- of you might like
            to know about it , and -some- of you might like to take advantage of a
            14 day trial offer that you don't have to give a credit card # for and
            ask for your money back later.

            I'm sorry I even tried to be nice and let you all know about it at this
            point. I won't make that mistake again.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 21, 2000
              Please dont stop being nice......... we love you the way you are!!!!!
            • David Mothkovich
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 21, 2000
                FYI-
                I'm about as cheap as cheap can come.. but I tried Ancestry.com,
                Myfamily.com, and really, really like the service and products.Especially
                the family news, photo album, and online gedcom.
                Dave

              • Tarzantu2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 23, 2000
                  Since I joined this list, I have been a listener and have learned much about
                  Slovakia, the region I'm researching. I would love to be a contributor, but
                  I have much to learn first. When I first joined, the postings were
                  thoughtful and the information obtained was good. There is an excellent base
                  of people within the list who are very gracious with their time to help all
                  of us.

                  Lately it seems that a layer of thin skin has covered a number of our group.
                  I haven't paid much attention to note whether it is newcomers or oldtimers.
                  Now we're fighting over ancestral religion, the Mormons intent for afterlife,
                  how people's words are taken,
                  etc. It's about time we all grow up. This list is comprised of beginner
                  genealogists up to the professional level. Many questions will be asked and
                  there will be a difference of opinion as to the answers. We should be able
                  to accept all answers in the spirit in which they were given, without feeling
                  slighted or insulted.

                  Maura, I have great respect for you as to how you have managed your list and
                  appreciate your efforts in providing the group with this opportunity to share
                  ideas and to learn about our ancestors. We're all human and make mistakes,
                  and I was disappointed when you lowered yourself to make the comments below:

                  << Because I sent it to this list as it's listowner just as I did to my
                  lists I run on rootsweb .... because I thought -some- of you might like
                  to know about it , and -some- of you might like to take advantage of a
                  14 day trial offer that you don't have to give a credit card # for and
                  ask for your money back later.

                  I'm sorry I even tried to be nice and let you all know about it at this
                  point. I won't make that mistake again.

                  I prefer to see the "old" Maura's comments and manner of handling things,
                  which I always considered to be well done. The person to whom you replied
                  didn't use good judgement in his posting, however, your reply would have been
                  perfect without the last paragraph. I for one, appreciate every tidbit of
                  information put out on this list and hope no one will withhold information
                  because of what has happened.

                  We're all in this together working for a common goal - searching for our
                  ancestors. Let's all give the respect that we would like to receive.

                  Ray Slack
                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 23, 2000
                    Added to which, a special word of thanks for Maura for putting up with us
                    all for so long. If she is the host, we are the guests.

                    > Since I joined this list, I have been a listener and have learned much
                    about
                    > Slovakia, the region I'm researching. I would love to be a contributor,
                    but
                    > I have much to learn first. When I first joined, the postings were
                    > thoughtful and the information obtained was good. There is an excellent
                    base
                    > of people within the list who are very gracious with their time to help
                    all
                    > of us.

                  • David Mothkovich
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 23, 2000
                      Why bring up something already passed.
                      dave
                      > Since I joined this list, I have been a listener and have learned much
                      about
                      > Slovakia, the region I'm researching. I would love to be a contributor,
                      but
                      > I have much to learn first. When I first joined, the postings were
                      > thoughtful and the information obtained was good. There is an excellent
                      base
                      > of people within the list who are very gracious with their time to help
                      all
                      > of us.
                      >
                      > Lately it seems that a layer of thin skin has covered a number of our
                      group.
                      > I haven't paid much attention to note whether it is newcomers or
                      oldtimers.
                      > Now we're fighting over ancestral religion, the Mormons intent for
                      afterlife,
                      > how people's words are taken,
                      > etc. It's about time we all grow up. This list is comprised of beginner
                      > genealogists up to the professional level. Many questions will be asked
                      and
                      > there will be a difference of opinion as to the answers. We should be
                      able
                      > to accept all answers in the spirit in which they were given, without
                      feeling
                      > slighted or insulted.
                      >
                      > Maura, I have great respect for you as to how you have managed your list
                      and
                      > appreciate your efforts in providing the group with this opportunity to
                      share
                      > ideas and to learn about our ancestors. We're all human and make mistakes,
                      > and I was disappointed when you lowered yourself to make the comments
                      below:

                      > << Because I sent it to this list as it's listowner just as I did to my
                      > lists I run on rootsweb .... because I thought -some- of you might like
                      > to know about it , and -some- of you might like to take advantage of a
                      > 14 day trial offer that you don't have to give a credit card # for and
                      > ask for your money back later.
                      >
                      > I'm sorry I even tried to be nice and let you all know about it at this
                      > point. I won't make that mistake again.
                      > >>

                      > I prefer to see the "old" Maura's comments and manner of handling things,
                      > which I always considered to be well done. The person to whom you replied
                      > didn't use good judgement in his posting, however, your reply would have
                      been
                      > perfect without the last paragraph. I for one, appreciate every tidbit of
                      > information put out on this list and hope no one will withhold information
                      > because of what has happened.
                      >
                      > We're all in this together working for a common goal - searching for our
                      > ancestors. Let's all give the respect that we would like to receive.
                      >
                      > Ray Slack

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 25, 2000
                        At 03:03 PM 6/23/00 -0400, you wrote:

                        >Since I joined this list, I have been a listener and have learned much
                        about Slovakia, the region I'm researching. I would love to be a
                        contributor, but I have much to learn first. When I first joined, the
                        postings were thoughtful and the information obtained was good. There is
                        an excellent base of people within the list who are very gracious with
                        their time to help all of us.<

                        >Lately it seems that a layer of thin skin has covered a number of our
                        group. I haven't paid much attention to note whether it is newcomers or
                        oldtimers. Now we're fighting over ancestral religion, the Mormons intent
                        for afterlife, how people's words are taken, etc. It's about time we all
                        grow up. This list is comprised of beginner genealogists up to the
                        professional level. Many questions will be asked and there will be a
                        difference of opinion as to the answers. We should be able to accept all
                        answers in the spirit in which they were given, without feeling slighted or
                        insulted.<

                        From another list:

                        "Email seems so one-on-one and personal, more like spoken communication
                        than written. We write it like we were giving lectures, and we read it like
                        we were being scolded."

                        Janko
                      • lkocik@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 26, 2000