Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Svrcina, Svrcek et al

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2000
      Thanks, Frank. One of them is called an Ev. valach, which I suppose refers
      to the Wallachian region of Moravia, from what you are saying. Another or
      the same man, I don't know which yet, was a shepherd.

      Yes, there is a hachek over the c.

      As to the records, are you saying that records for Liptovska' Porubka', not
      Poruba, but the village that was formerly Kisporuba and became L. Porubka',
      are located under Liptovsky' Jan?
    • mjesko@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 21, 2000
        Valach can also refer to the wandering shepherds from Northern Romania.
        They are called VLACH in Romania.

        Happy Hunting!

        "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
        http://community.webtv.net/MJESKO/WELCOMETOMARKSPAGE
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 21, 2000
          Yes! I first thought that I might have one of those wandering shepherds
          here. But is the name Svrc~ina a Rumanian name? And can someone please
          enlighten me as to why part of Moravia is called Wallachia?

          > Valach can also refer to the wandering shepherds from Northern Romania.
          > They are called VLACH in Romania.
          >
          > Happy Hunting!
          >
          > "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
          > http://community.webtv.net/MJESKO/WELCOMETOMARKSPAGE

          > SALESFORCE.COM MAKES SOFTWARE OBSOLETE
          > Secure, online sales force automation with 5 users FREE for 1 year!

        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 22, 2000
            You might do a web search. I found several hits in Bohemia.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 23, 2000
              Thanks very much for the explanation. You are as good as a history course,
              Joe.