RE: [S-R] Question About Provided Ratio Link

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 12, 2007
      The results and activities of Magyarization were varied due to the huge
      territory and ethnic diversity of the Territory. I encourage you to read
      McCartney's piece, Chapter 8 specifically.

      "The effect of all the efforts on the ethnic map of Hungary, regarded in
      broad terms, was practically nil. It is doubtful whether the Magyarisation
      of the schools changed the ethnic character of a single village. The little
      Slovak or Ruthene who spent his schooldays painfully acquiring a few scraps
      of Magyar (and often acquiring precious little else) forgot them happily and
      completely as soon as the school doors closed behind him. Where changes did
      occur, it was as the result of some special cause: large-scale emigration,
      or the establishment of a factory; and those changes were by no means always
      favourable to the Magyar element. A writer who investigated the question in
      1902 reported that during the Liberal period the Magyars had actually lost
      465 communes to the nationalities while gaining only 261 from them. Their
      chief gains had been from the Slovaks (chiefly in central Hungary), their
      chief losses to the Roumanians and Germans. Of all the nationalities of
      Hungary, the Ruthenes had been the biggest losers (chiefly to the Slovaks),
      then the Magyars, then the Serbs (chiefly by emigration to Serbia). The
      biggest gainers on balance had been the Roumanians, then the Slovaks, then
      the Germans."

      Source:
      http://www.historicaltextarchive.com/books.php?op=viewbook&bookid=5&cid=8

      Bill