Re: Svrcina, Svrcek et al

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2000
      Assume the Svrc~ina surname was spelled Svrc^ina.
      Naturally I track any surname ..rc^ina throughout the
      Slavic lands and none was ever related to mine.

      Yes.
      The Lutheran records were only for the period 1859-1897.

      The Lutheran parish church records (1783-1921) for
      Liptovská Porúba are under Liptovsky' Ján (Szentiván)

      The last Slovakia census (199?) listed no such surname.
      Have no census data, just a list of the 46,000 most common
      surnames on the census.
      The closest name was a Svrcic.
      Probably spelled with diacritic letter c^?
      Perhaps from a Slovak "root word" srvc^ek meaning cricket ?

      In my opinion, Svrcina is a Czech surname, perhaps spelled Svrjcina ?
      With origin in former Czech-Bohemia rather than in Slovakia.
      This would might also explain listings for this surname in German
      telephone directory.
      Frank Kurcina
    • jallen50
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2000
        I'd be very grateful if you would let me know if you find any thing else re:
        the SVRCINA name. We were always told we were Slovak...my grandmother
        married a BRNA. I'm wondering now if she just "adopted" the ethnicity of her
        husband as her own. She came from what is now Slovakia, but may not have
        been
        Slovak. If you get any leads, please let me know!

[...]

        Ãç´Ö¤È¤Ï¤¸¤á¤ë¡¢Ãç´Ö¤ò¸«¤Ä¤±¤ë¡¡£å¥°¥ë¡¼¥×
        ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Ö¥°¥ë¡¼¥×¥á¡¼¥ë¤·¤Þ¤»¤ó¤«¡©¡×
        ¥µ¡¼¥¯¥ë¡¦Æ±Áë²ñ¡¦Æ±Î½¡¦¥Ó¥¸¥Í¥¹¡¦²È²¤Ç¤É¤¦¤¾¡ª
        ¡¡http://www.egroups.co.jp/info/features.html
        http://click.egroups.com/1/3411/0/_/545880/_/961591804/
      • Joe Armata
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 2000
          Svrc~ina is a Slovak word, it means a pine tree or a pine grove.

          The term Valas~sko (Wallachia) in Moravia dates back to the late middle
          ages. It's the westernmost end of the Carpathians, and the last area to
          be affected by the Wallachian migrations. It was called Valas~sko
          because of the shepherding culture there, as opposed to the Hana area of
          Moravia where people were farmers. Valach originally referred to the
          mixed ethnic group of Wallachians, but as they assimilated to the local
          population it came to mean just shepherd. Over the years shepherding gave
          way to farming in Valas~sko, so by the 1800s they were mostly farmers too,
          with shepherding surviving only in a few places like around Roznov.

          Joe Armata
          joe@...