RE: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Svrcek

  • jallen50
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20, 2000
      Andrea: Please let me know what you find out!!! This is interesting! I
      remember hearing stories that my ggrandmother came to the US with a money
      belt wrapped around her...she had "sold the farm"...and that she and her
      oldest daughter (both followed my grandmother to the US) "never had to
      work." No one in the family even knew my ggrandfather's name until I started
      "researching!" He was never mentioned. I have looked in the area around
      Martin for SVRCINA's through the Slovak phone book, without any luck. I did
      find a number of SVRCINA's in Germany! I also found a few in the US, but not
      many. I've written to one of them. My grandmother was born in 1892.....She
      had had older sister, Maria, and a younger brother...name unknown, who died
      during World War I. Oral family history was that he was a Lutheran minister
      or chaplain during the war.
      Please keep in touch!
      June