Re: [S-R] surname spellings??

  • b
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2007
      Hi David,
      Do you know what the first names Jeoka and Yierko would be translated into English?
      (Names coming out of the village Cukalovce.)
      Bonnie Seech-Dailey
      panther7775@...

      david1law@... wrote:
      In regard to your inquiry for alternative spellings for BUDAI, two
      alternative spellings would also be BUDAY and BUDAYI. In Hungarian surnames, the "i"
      at the end of the surname indicates a place of origin, in this case BUDA,
      which is now part of BUDAPEST. The letter "Y" as well as "YI" was sometimes
      used because of the phonetic similarity. I would also recommend the use of the
      letter "J' in your search parameters because it was sometimes used as Slavic
      variant of the "I' and "Y" (for example, I have seen the name ISKRA spelled
      JISKRA, and also YENCHA used for JENCA).

      Best regards,

      David

      Bonnie A. Dailey
    • vchromoho
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2007
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, b <panther7775@...> wrote:

        > Hi David,
        > Do you know what the first names Jeoka and Yierko would be
        translated into English?
        > (Names coming out of the village Cukalovce.)
        > Bonnie Seech-Dailey
        > panther7775@...

        I'm not David, but it looks to me like the names would be

        Jevka [Yevka] = Eve
        Jurko [Yurko] = George

        I don't think anybody has mentioned this to you, but Cukalovce was/is
        a village inhabited mainly by Rusyns, not Slovaks. In their native
        Rusyn language, the locals call it Chukalavtsi (Èukalavci).
      • panther7775
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 10, 2007
          I Did not know the locals name for Cukalovce,Thankyou.
          Bonnie