RE: [S-R] Privacy Laws

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2007
      Unfortunately, there�s no single answer to your question. Much of the recent
      motivation for Federal laws was based on the problems of Identity Theft.

      This summarizes the Federal laws as well as anything. � HYPERLINK
      "http://www.llrx.com/features/idtheftguide.htm"http://www.llrx.com/features/
      idtheftguide.htm

      There are probably more. Where the Federal law required action on the part
      of the States, it was rarely retroactive and there was much latitude in how
      the States might implement it. Of course, the States always have the right
      to go beyond what is stipulated in Federal law. What Maryland might require
      may not be the same as what Texas requires. It�s usually easier to get
      marriage records than death or birth records. I think the ease to obtain
      marriage records has to do with potential bigamy and/or child support
      issues. It�s fairly easy to get death cert from Ohio, but more difficult to
      get them from Maryland. Some states have 100 year rules for birth records if
      you�re not a party named on the birth record. A party on the birth record
      would include parents and child of course, but also doctor.

      At the end of the day, it comes down to which locality, which record type
      and the age of the record.

      If I�m fortunate enough to know the county where the event occurred I�ll try
      to get it from the county. They may be more liberal in their interpretation
      of the law and they are almost always much quicker. It wouldn�t be out of
      the realm of possibility that they would be cheaper than the State level
      Dept of Vital Records.

      What you need to do is call the county of record or State and ask what you
      can get.

      Jim

      _____