Re: [S-R] Slovak Versions

  • maxine
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 6, 2007
      Hi tom, my mom was Mary and my grandmother called her "Met ka". maxine
      There was also Ank ka and Jul ka

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2007
        The use of - ka (fem) or - ik / ko (mas) endings make
        the name a familiar (diminutive) form of a name. Jan
        - Janko, Janik; Jozef - Jozko; Edita - Dituska; Peter
        - Petrik; etc.

        Dr. "Q"

        --- maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

        > Hi tom, my mom was Mary and my grandmother called
        > her "Met ka". maxine
        > There was also Ank ka and Jul ka

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
          I think too that the diminutive names used in the past were different and depended on local dialect and customs. In the region of the Ols~ava Valley, some church records from the 19th century had nicknames like Alki, Ali (Elizabeth), Miso (Michael), Jiri (George), Hanc~a (Anna), Bori, Borka (Barbara).

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
              My grandmother's surprise for us was her use of 'Suzi'. Of course,
              all we knew is that her first name was Susan.

              She came into the country as Zsuzsana Szomos and married as Suzi...
              The former I take as the Hungarian spelling. The Somos family today
              dropped the 'z'.

              Ron
              PS My American eye still tends to want to read Szuzsana' instead of
              "Zsuzsana'.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "June McKee" <junemckee@...> wrote:

              > I found my grandmother's name which is Mary spelled as" Meri " which
              I should have known beings my father always said my grandfather would
              prounce her name as Meri. I came across this when searching for her
              declaration of intention. I knew it was her beings I knew one of the
              addresses that my father was raised at when growing up in NY.

            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
                The Hungarian letter zs is pronounced like the s in treasure. Zsuzsanna was
                a very common name. My husband's great-grandfather's sister, mother,
                step-mother, and grandmother were all Zsuzsanna.

                Janet

                _____

                My grandmother's surprise for us was her use of 'Suzi'. Of course,
                all we knew is that her first name was Susan.

                She came into the country as Zsuzsana Szomos and married as Suzi...
                The former I take as the Hungarian spelling. The Somos family today
                dropped the 'z'.

                Ron
                PS My American eye still tends to want to read Szuzsana' instead of
                "Zsuzsana'.

                yahoogroups.com, "June McKee" <junemckee@...> wrote:

                > I found my grandmother's name which is Mary spelled as" Meri " which
                I should have known beings my father always said my grandfather would
                prounce her name as Meri. I came across this when searching for her
                declaration of intention. I knew it was her beings I knew one of the
                addresses that my father was raised at when growing up in NY.

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
                  Wish all of you could have been with us November 9 for
                  the big event at the Slovak Embassy in Washington.
                  Sponsored by the International Club of D.C., it was
                  attended by some 200 elegant young executives in
                  formal dress from countries all over the world. This
                  was so satisfying as we had been working for 4 years
                  on this event designed to showcase Slovakia and its
                  culture, music, food, wines and traditions.

                  First came a smashing parade of Slovak and Rusyn folk
                  dress - with 23 participants, aged 9 to 90, including
                  a mother with her young son and daughter, and a three
                  generation family. Wanting to be a part of the kroj
                  parade at this special occasion, people came from many
                  states, among them Minnesota, Massachusetts, New York,
                  New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Florida, Virginia and
                  Maryland, to share their heritage and mingle in all
                  their Slovak finery with the guests.

                  Folk dress worn included wedding outfits from Vesele
                  NITRA, Tencianske Tepla TRENCIN, Podolie NITRA,
                  Torysky SPIS, Myslava ABOV, Abelova NOVOHRAD, Vazec
                  LIPTOV, Solcany NITRA, and Sucha Hora ORAVA, as well
                  as a bridal couple from Raslavice SARIS. Others
                  represented Drahovce, Piestany and Krakovany NITRA;
                  Helpa and Sumiac GEMER; Lendak SPIS; Myslava ABOV;
                  Sarisske Dravce SARIS; Stara Lesna SPIS; and Kuty
                  NITRA.

                  Internationally famed singer Jozef Ivaska, Man of a
                  Thousand Songs, played a pistalka and sang "Ja som
                  baca velmi stary" (I am a Very Old Shepherd) a
                  capella to open the kroj parade which I had organized
                  (about a dozen of the outfits came from the
                  Baine/Cincebeaux Collection of Slovak Folk Dress). The
                  colorful display ended with, of course, "Tancuj!,
                  Tancuj!" (Dance! Dance!), a very beloved and spirited
                  Slovak folk tune.

                  Jozef and I were joined on the podium by Slovak
                  Ambassador, Rastislav Kacer and the Slovak Minister of
                  Education Jan Mikolaj to christen Jozef's new CD "Tam
                  Pod Tatrami" (There Under the Tatras)(his 12th CD!) I
                  expected this to be done with bread and salt but the
                  embassy staff surprised us by pouring slivovice over
                  the CD with a flourish!

                  Participants feasted on halusky, roast duck, pork and
                  wonderful desserts, along with the best of Slovak
                  wines. Jozef sang everything from opera "Una Fortiva
                  Lagrima" (Donizetti's A Furtive Tear) to "Voda nad
                  Voda" (Water On Water), one of the most beautiful
                  modern Slovak songs. He spiced it up with "Macejko"
                  (Matthew) and "Esce som se neozenil" (I'm Not Even
                  Married Yet). What a sight it was to see all those
                  elegant people dancing up a storm just like at a
                  proper Slovak zabava! (party)

                  Dan Pafko, who founded and heads the Lipa Slovak Folk
                  Dancers in Minneapolis, did some high stepping in his
                  Saris kroj and tall leather boots along with Katerina
                  Viliamova, who is originally from Helpa. They danced
                  so wildly to "Tota Helpa" (Oh, That Helpa!) that
                  everyone spontaneously joined in.

                  Sarah and Sam Stulberg, who have been teaching folk
                  dancing for the past 40 years and are in their mid
                  80s, twirled effortlessly through the throng. It
                  escalated to people dancing in large circles and then
                  spontaneously into couples and back into a circle
                  again. Jozef kept singing and everyone kept dancing
                  and they had to turn out the lights to get us to leave
                  an hour after the stated closing time. It was an
                  incredible night!

                  My best friend in college was there to help me, we had
                  done fashion shows in our fashion merchandising class
                  at Syracuse University 50 years ago! Nancy Harvey
                  Steorts has served under three presidents and headed
                  the Consumer Product Safety Commission. She said she
                  never saw an event such as this at an embassy; they
                  are usually quite sedate and reserved while this was
                  so joyful - maybe the slivovice helped! Often the
                  Ambassador stays only a short while after the
                  beginning of a reception but it was different this
                  time.

                  The Slovak ministers danced, and people were inspired
                  to pull others at random into the dance, a
                  kaleidoscope of elegant dress and heirloom folk dress,
                  beaded and flowered headdresses with ribbons flying
                  and boots stomping. What a memorable night for all!

                  Be a better pen pal.
                • ssultonia
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 19, 2007
                    Helene,
                    Thank you for the excellent report. Sounds like it was a really
                    great event. Looking forward to any photos you can post.
                    Regards,
                    Bill

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > done fashion shows in our fashion merchandising class
                    > at Syracuse University 50 years ago! Nancy Harvey
                    > Steorts has served under three presidents and headed
                    > the Consumer Product Safety Commission. She said she
                    > never saw an event such as this at an embassy; they
                    > are usually quite sedate and reserved while this was
                    > so joyful - maybe the slivovice helped! Often the
                    > Ambassador stays only a short while after the
                    > beginning of a reception but it was different this
                    > time.
                    >
                    > The Slovak ministers danced, and people were inspired
                    > to pull others at random into the dance, a
                    > kaleidoscope of elegant dress and heirloom folk dress,
                    > beaded and flowered headdresses with ribbons flying
                    > and boots stomping. What a memorable night for all!

                    > Be a better pen pal.
                    > Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
                    http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

                  • David Y.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
                      I've seen Meri as the way my grandfather spelled his wife's name.
                      He was from Smerecin stolica, in Galicia.
                      His wife was from Banske.