RE: [S-R] Slovak Versions

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 6, 2007
      HYPERLINK
      "http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/cze.php"http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/c
      ze.php

      _____

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Julia Anderson
      Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 11:44 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Slovak Versions

      maybe Maria (Mary) Irena or Irenka (Irene) and Veronika (Veronica)
      Julia

      Dear all, I,d like to hear all the experts out on the Slovak version of
      VERONICA, of IRENE, of MARY . Tom Geiss

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      10:04 AM

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      10:04 AM

    • maxine
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2007
        Hi tom, my mom was Mary and my grandmother called her "Met ka". maxine
        There was also Ank ka and Jul ka

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2007
          The use of - ka (fem) or - ik / ko (mas) endings make
          the name a familiar (diminutive) form of a name. Jan
          - Janko, Janik; Jozef - Jozko; Edita - Dituska; Peter
          - Petrik; etc.

          Dr. "Q"

          --- maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

          > Hi tom, my mom was Mary and my grandmother called
          > her "Met ka". maxine
          > There was also Ank ka and Jul ka

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
            I think too that the diminutive names used in the past were different and depended on local dialect and customs. In the region of the Ols~ava Valley, some church records from the 19th century had nicknames like Alki, Ali (Elizabeth), Miso (Michael), Jiri (George), Hanc~a (Anna), Bori, Borka (Barbara).

            it's amazing the variety of diminutives that can result from one first name - for example Maria - once we tried to list all the variations - there were dozens - Marienka, Maruska, Marka, Manya etc.

            Julia could be Julka

            tho my name helene doesn't have a nickname in English - I have several over there Helena, Helenka, Helenocka

            helene

            Julia Anderson <amazing.julia@...> wrote:
            maybe Maria (Mary) Irena or Irenka (Irene) and Veronika (Veronica)
            Julia

            Dear all, I,d like to hear all the experts out on the Slovak version of VERONICA, of IRENE, of MARY . Tom Geiss

          • June McKee

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
                My grandmother's surprise for us was her use of 'Suzi'. Of course,
                all we knew is that her first name was Susan.

                She came into the country as Zsuzsana Szomos and married as Suzi...
                The former I take as the Hungarian spelling. The Somos family today
                dropped the 'z'.

                Ron
                PS My American eye still tends to want to read Szuzsana' instead of
                "Zsuzsana'.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "June McKee" <junemckee@...> wrote:

                > I found my grandmother's name which is Mary spelled as" Meri " which
                I should have known beings my father always said my grandfather would
                prounce her name as Meri. I came across this when searching for her
                declaration of intention. I knew it was her beings I knew one of the
                addresses that my father was raised at when growing up in NY.

              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
                  The Hungarian letter zs is pronounced like the s in treasure. Zsuzsanna was
                  a very common name. My husband's great-grandfather's sister, mother,
                  step-mother, and grandmother were all Zsuzsanna.

                  Janet

                  _____

                  My grandmother's surprise for us was her use of 'Suzi'. Of course,
                  all we knew is that her first name was Susan.

                  She came into the country as Zsuzsana Szomos and married as Suzi...
                  The former I take as the Hungarian spelling. The Somos family today
                  dropped the 'z'.

                  Ron
                  PS My American eye still tends to want to read Szuzsana' instead of
                  "Zsuzsana'.

                  yahoogroups.com, "June McKee" <junemckee@...> wrote:

                  > I found my grandmother's name which is Mary spelled as" Meri " which
                  I should have known beings my father always said my grandfather would
                  prounce her name as Meri. I came across this when searching for her
                  declaration of intention. I knew it was her beings I knew one of the
                  addresses that my father was raised at when growing up in NY.

                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
                    Wish all of you could have been with us November 9 for
                    the big event at the Slovak Embassy in Washington.
                    Sponsored by the International Club of D.C., it was
                    attended by some 200 elegant young executives in
                    formal dress from countries all over the world. This
                    was so satisfying as we had been working for 4 years
                    on this event designed to showcase Slovakia and its
                    culture, music, food, wines and traditions.

                    First came a smashing parade of Slovak and Rusyn folk
                    dress - with 23 participants, aged 9 to 90, including
                    a mother with her young son and daughter, and a three
                    generation family. Wanting to be a part of the kroj
                    parade at this special occasion, people came from many
                    states, among them Minnesota, Massachusetts, New York,
                    New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Florida, Virginia and
                    Maryland, to share their heritage and mingle in all
                    their Slovak finery with the guests.

                    Folk dress worn included wedding outfits from Vesele
                    NITRA, Tencianske Tepla TRENCIN, Podolie NITRA,
                    Torysky SPIS, Myslava ABOV, Abelova NOVOHRAD, Vazec
                    LIPTOV, Solcany NITRA, and Sucha Hora ORAVA, as well
                    as a bridal couple from Raslavice SARIS. Others
                    represented Drahovce, Piestany and Krakovany NITRA;
                    Helpa and Sumiac GEMER; Lendak SPIS; Myslava ABOV;
                    Sarisske Dravce SARIS; Stara Lesna SPIS; and Kuty
                    NITRA.

                    Internationally famed singer Jozef Ivaska, Man of a
                    Thousand Songs, played a pistalka and sang "Ja som
                    baca velmi stary" (I am a Very Old Shepherd) a
                    capella to open the kroj parade which I had organized
                    (about a dozen of the outfits came from the
                    Baine/Cincebeaux Collection of Slovak Folk Dress). The
                    colorful display ended with, of course, "Tancuj!,
                    Tancuj!" (Dance! Dance!), a very beloved and spirited
                    Slovak folk tune.

                    Jozef and I were joined on the podium by Slovak
                    Ambassador, Rastislav Kacer and the Slovak Minister of
                    Education Jan Mikolaj to christen Jozef's new CD "Tam
                    Pod Tatrami" (There Under the Tatras)(his 12th CD!) I
                    expected this to be done with bread and salt but the
                    embassy staff surprised us by pouring slivovice over
                    the CD with a flourish!

                    Participants feasted on halusky, roast duck, pork and
                    wonderful desserts, along with the best of Slovak
                    wines. Jozef sang everything from opera "Una Fortiva
                    Lagrima" (Donizetti's A Furtive Tear) to "Voda nad
                    Voda" (Water On Water), one of the most beautiful
                    modern Slovak songs. He spiced it up with "Macejko"
                    (Matthew) and "Esce som se neozenil" (I'm Not Even
                    Married Yet). What a sight it was to see all those
                    elegant people dancing up a storm just like at a
                    proper Slovak zabava! (party)

                    Dan Pafko, who founded and heads the Lipa Slovak Folk
                    Dancers in Minneapolis, did some high stepping in his
                    Saris kroj and tall leather boots along with Katerina
                    Viliamova, who is originally from Helpa. They danced
                    so wildly to "Tota Helpa" (Oh, That Helpa!) that
                    everyone spontaneously joined in.

                    Sarah and Sam Stulberg, who have been teaching folk
                    dancing for the past 40 years and are in their mid
                    80s, twirled effortlessly through the throng. It
                    escalated to people dancing in large circles and then
                    spontaneously into couples and back into a circle
                    again. Jozef kept singing and everyone kept dancing
                    and they had to turn out the lights to get us to leave
                    an hour after the stated closing time. It was an
                    incredible night!

                    My best friend in college was there to help me, we had
                    done fashion shows in our fashion merchandising class
                    at Syracuse University 50 years ago! Nancy Harvey
                    Steorts has served under three presidents and headed
                    the Consumer Product Safety Commission. She said she
                    never saw an event such as this at an embassy; they
                    are usually quite sedate and reserved while this was
                    so joyful - maybe the slivovice helped! Often the
                    Ambassador stays only a short while after the
                    beginning of a reception but it was different this
                    time.

                    The Slovak ministers danced, and people were inspired
                    to pull others at random into the dance, a
                    kaleidoscope of elegant dress and heirloom folk dress,
                    beaded and flowered headdresses with ribbons flying
                    and boots stomping. What a memorable night for all!

                    Be a better pen pal.
                  • ssultonia
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 19, 2007
                      Helene,
                      Thank you for the excellent report. Sounds like it was a really
                      great event. Looking forward to any photos you can post.
                      Regards,
                      Bill

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > done fashion shows in our fashion merchandising class
                      > at Syracuse University 50 years ago! Nancy Harvey
                      > Steorts has served under three presidents and headed
                      > the Consumer Product Safety Commission. She said she
                      > never saw an event such as this at an embassy; they
                      > are usually quite sedate and reserved while this was
                      > so joyful - maybe the slivovice helped! Often the
                      > Ambassador stays only a short while after the
                      > beginning of a reception but it was different this
                      > time.
                      >
                      > The Slovak ministers danced, and people were inspired
                      > to pull others at random into the dance, a
                      > kaleidoscope of elegant dress and heirloom folk dress,
                      > beaded and flowered headdresses with ribbons flying
                      > and boots stomping. What a memorable night for all!

                      > Be a better pen pal.
                      > Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
                      http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

                    • David Y.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
                        I've seen Meri as the way my grandfather spelled his wife's name.
                        He was from Smerecin stolica, in Galicia.
                        His wife was from Banske.