Slovak Versions

  • Tom Geiss
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 6, 2007
      Dear all, I,d like to hear all the experts out on the Slovak version of VERONICA, of IRENE, of MARY . Tom Geiss

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2007
        Here is a very handy reference:
        http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sc/oconee/misc/foreign-names.txt
        or:
        http://tinyurl.com/3xhwqr

        Bill

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2007
          maybe Maria (Mary) Irena or Irenka (Irene) and Veronika (Veronica)
          Julia

          Dear all, I,d like to hear all the experts out on the Slovak version of VERONICA, of IRENE, of MARY . Tom Geiss

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 6, 2007
            hi Julia -

            it's amazing the variety of diminutives that can result from one first name - for example Maria - once we tried to list all the variations - there were dozens - Marienka, Maruska, Marka, Manya etc.

            Julia could be Julka

            tho my name helene doesn't have a nickname in English - I have several over there Helena, Helenka, Helenocka

            helene

            Julia Anderson <amazing.julia@...> wrote:
            maybe Maria (Mary) Irena or Irenka (Irene) and Veronika (Veronica)
            Julia

            Dear all, I,d like to hear all the experts out on the Slovak version of VERONICA, of IRENE, of MARY . Tom Geiss

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 6, 2007
              HYPERLINK
              "http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/cze.php"http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/c
              ze.php

              _____

              maybe Maria (Mary) Irena or Irenka (Irene) and Veronika (Veronica)
              Julia

              Dear all, I,d like to hear all the experts out on the Slovak version of
              VERONICA, of IRENE, of MARY . Tom Geiss

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              10:04 AM

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              10:04 AM

            • maxine
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 6, 2007
                Hi tom, my mom was Mary and my grandmother called her "Met ka". maxine
                There was also Ank ka and Jul ka

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 6, 2007
                  The use of - ka (fem) or - ik / ko (mas) endings make
                  the name a familiar (diminutive) form of a name. Jan
                  - Janko, Janik; Jozef - Jozko; Edita - Dituska; Peter
                  - Petrik; etc.

                  Dr. "Q"

                  --- maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:

                  > Hi tom, my mom was Mary and my grandmother called
                  > her "Met ka". maxine
                  > There was also Ank ka and Jul ka

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
                    I think too that the diminutive names used in the past were different and depended on local dialect and customs. In the region of the Ols~ava Valley, some church records from the 19th century had nicknames like Alki, Ali (Elizabeth), Miso (Michael), Jiri (George), Hanc~a (Anna), Bori, Borka (Barbara).

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
                        My grandmother's surprise for us was her use of 'Suzi'. Of course,
                        all we knew is that her first name was Susan.

                        She came into the country as Zsuzsana Szomos and married as Suzi...
                        The former I take as the Hungarian spelling. The Somos family today
                        dropped the 'z'.

                        Ron
                        PS My American eye still tends to want to read Szuzsana' instead of
                        "Zsuzsana'.

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "June McKee" <junemckee@...> wrote:

                        > I found my grandmother's name which is Mary spelled as" Meri " which
                        I should have known beings my father always said my grandfather would
                        prounce her name as Meri. I came across this when searching for her
                        declaration of intention. I knew it was her beings I knew one of the
                        addresses that my father was raised at when growing up in NY.

                      • Janet Kozlay
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
                          The Hungarian letter zs is pronounced like the s in treasure. Zsuzsanna was
                          a very common name. My husband's great-grandfather's sister, mother,
                          step-mother, and grandmother were all Zsuzsanna.

                          Janet

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 18, 2007
                            Wish all of you could have been with us November 9 for
                            the big event at the Slovak Embassy in Washington.
                            Sponsored by the International Club of D.C., it was
                            attended by some 200 elegant young executives in
                            formal dress from countries all over the world. This
                            was so satisfying as we had been working for 4 years
                            on this event designed to showcase Slovakia and its
                            culture, music, food, wines and traditions.

                            First came a smashing parade of Slovak and Rusyn folk
                            dress - with 23 participants, aged 9 to 90, including
                            a mother with her young son and daughter, and a three
                            generation family. Wanting to be a part of the kroj
                            parade at this special occasion, people came from many
                            states, among them Minnesota, Massachusetts, New York,
                            New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Florida, Virginia and
                            Maryland, to share their heritage and mingle in all
                            their Slovak finery with the guests.

                            Folk dress worn included wedding outfits from Vesele
                            NITRA, Tencianske Tepla TRENCIN, Podolie NITRA,
                            Torysky SPIS, Myslava ABOV, Abelova NOVOHRAD, Vazec
                            LIPTOV, Solcany NITRA, and Sucha Hora ORAVA, as well
                            as a bridal couple from Raslavice SARIS. Others
                            represented Drahovce, Piestany and Krakovany NITRA;
                            Helpa and Sumiac GEMER; Lendak SPIS; Myslava ABOV;
                            Sarisske Dravce SARIS; Stara Lesna SPIS; and Kuty
                            NITRA.

                            Internationally famed singer Jozef Ivaska, Man of a
                            Thousand Songs, played a pistalka and sang "Ja som
                            baca velmi stary" (I am a Very Old Shepherd) a
                            capella to open the kroj parade which I had organized
                            (about a dozen of the outfits came from the
                            Baine/Cincebeaux Collection of Slovak Folk Dress). The
                            colorful display ended with, of course, "Tancuj!,
                            Tancuj!" (Dance! Dance!), a very beloved and spirited
                            Slovak folk tune.

                            Jozef and I were joined on the podium by Slovak
                            Ambassador, Rastislav Kacer and the Slovak Minister of
                            Education Jan Mikolaj to christen Jozef's new CD "Tam
                            Pod Tatrami" (There Under the Tatras)(his 12th CD!) I
                            expected this to be done with bread and salt but the
                            embassy staff surprised us by pouring slivovice over
                            the CD with a flourish!

                            Participants feasted on halusky, roast duck, pork and
                            wonderful desserts, along with the best of Slovak
                            wines. Jozef sang everything from opera "Una Fortiva
                            Lagrima" (Donizetti's A Furtive Tear) to "Voda nad
                            Voda" (Water On Water), one of the most beautiful
                            modern Slovak songs. He spiced it up with "Macejko"
                            (Matthew) and "Esce som se neozenil" (I'm Not Even
                            Married Yet). What a sight it was to see all those
                            elegant people dancing up a storm just like at a
                            proper Slovak zabava! (party)

                            Dan Pafko, who founded and heads the Lipa Slovak Folk
                            Dancers in Minneapolis, did some high stepping in his
                            Saris kroj and tall leather boots along with Katerina
                            Viliamova, who is originally from Helpa. They danced
                            so wildly to "Tota Helpa" (Oh, That Helpa!) that
                            everyone spontaneously joined in.

                            Sarah and Sam Stulberg, who have been teaching folk
                            dancing for the past 40 years and are in their mid
                            80s, twirled effortlessly through the throng. It
                            escalated to people dancing in large circles and then
                            spontaneously into couples and back into a circle
                            again. Jozef kept singing and everyone kept dancing
                            and they had to turn out the lights to get us to leave
                            an hour after the stated closing time. It was an
                            incredible night!

                            My best friend in college was there to help me, we had
                            done fashion shows in our fashion merchandising class
                            at Syracuse University 50 years ago! Nancy Harvey
                            Steorts has served under three presidents and headed
                            the Consumer Product Safety Commission. She said she
                            never saw an event such as this at an embassy; they
                            are usually quite sedate and reserved while this was
                            so joyful - maybe the slivovice helped! Often the
                            Ambassador stays only a short while after the
                            beginning of a reception but it was different this
                            time.

                            The Slovak ministers danced, and people were inspired
                            to pull others at random into the dance, a
                            kaleidoscope of elegant dress and heirloom folk dress,
                            beaded and flowered headdresses with ribbons flying
                            and boots stomping. What a memorable night for all!

                            Be a better pen pal.
                          • ssultonia
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 19, 2007
                              Helene,
                              Thank you for the excellent report. Sounds like it was a really
                              great event. Looking forward to any photos you can post.
                              Regards,
                              Bill

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
                              wrote:

> [...]
                              > done fashion shows in our fashion merchandising class
                              > at Syracuse University 50 years ago! Nancy Harvey
                              > Steorts has served under three presidents and headed
                              > the Consumer Product Safety Commission. She said she
                              > never saw an event such as this at an embassy; they
                              > are usually quite sedate and reserved while this was
                              > so joyful - maybe the slivovice helped! Often the
                              > Ambassador stays only a short while after the
                              > beginning of a reception but it was different this
                              > time.
                              >
                              > The Slovak ministers danced, and people were inspired
                              > to pull others at random into the dance, a
                              > kaleidoscope of elegant dress and heirloom folk dress,
                              > beaded and flowered headdresses with ribbons flying
                              > and boots stomping. What a memorable night for all!

                              > Be a better pen pal.
                              > Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
                              http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

                            • David Y.
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 30, 2007
                                I've seen Meri as the way my grandfather spelled his wife's name.
                                He was from Smerecin stolica, in Galicia.
                                His wife was from Banske.