Re: [S-R] FHL Records Question

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
      David,
      I recognize many of the names as ones I have seen when trolling
      through the LDS microfilms from that area. The only one that stands
      out to me is Hvizdos. In my data base I have a Maria Hvizdos from
      Dubrava marrying an Andreas Czmorej from Slatvina in 1882. You may
      already be aware of this one.
      Regards, Bill.
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, david1law@... wrote:

      > Hi Bill:
      >
      > I noticed that you mentioned SPIS and the village of POLANOVCE. My
      > ancestors lived in a number of villages near there, such as
      SLATVINA and other
      > villages south of POLANOVCE, as well as in the SIROKE parish which
      is over the
      > mountain from POLANOVCE. The following are surnames in my direct
      lineage. If
      > any of these surnames seem familiar to you, please let me know.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > David
      >

      > Researching: BALOG (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
      > HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK,
      KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
      > RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS
      County
      > (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of
      SPISSKE
      > VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE
      HRHOV, STARY
      > SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA,
      BRZOTIN, and

    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
        Hi Bill:

        I'm very glad to read your response. One of my great, great, great
        grandmothers is an ELIZABETH HVIZDOS from the village of KLUKNAVA (over the hill and
        in the valley southeast of SLATVINA). The HVIZDOS clan in KLUKNAVA parish is
        absolutely huge, as an index prepared by the priest LADISLAUS POPOVICH runs
        several pages for the HVIZDOS family alone. (I was so impressed at the index
        in these parish records that I always remember the priest's name). When you
        mentioned that a MARIA HVIZDOS was in your database, does that mean that she
        is in your family tree?

        I have spent some time in the SLATVINA records tracking down another line in
        my family - KOVALCIK - as my great, great, great grandmother MARIA KOVALCIK
        (married to JACOB ONDERCIN from KALAVA) was originally from SLATVINA. I've
        been working on a cluster genealogy of the KOVALCIK clan in SLATVINA, and as
        you probably know, the records for SLATVINA go back quite a ways. I had a
        major computer crash earlier this year in the summer, and now am working from a
        new computer, so I do not have ready access to a lot of the information that
        I had once collected (though I still have paper copies of documents
        somewhere), and I can't place it at the moment, but I have seen some references to
        DUBRAVA when researching my family line. The CZMOREJ surname seems familiar to
        me also but I cannot place it at the moment.

        I will write more when I get the chance. Please definitely keep in
        touch.Please also feel free to write me directly.

        Best regards,

        David

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007
          Bill Brna - what is the name of the village you speak of?

          Bill