Re: [S-R] Place name identification

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
      Hi Dave:

      The place called LAJBICZ may be one of several places, including LABICZ in
      POLAND and LABACZ in the UKRAINE. If you go to the following website for the
      FUZZY GAZETTEER, and enter the name LAJBICZ, you will see the number of
      possibilities in a rank order of probability based solely on spelling and
      phonetics:

      _http://tomcat-dmaweb1.jrc.it/fuzzyg/query/_
      (http://tomcat-dmaweb1.jrc.it/fuzzyg/query/)

      There is, however, a note of caution. As with any tool, it can be of help
      but needs to be used discerningly. When trying to determine the village of
      origin for any ancestor, try to get as much information as possibly in order to
      corroborate the information, such as the names of any other nearby villages
      and towns; otherwise, there may be a spelled-alike or sound-alike village
      that can lead one off on a wild goose chase. I hope this helps a little.

      Best regards,

      David

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
        Lajbicz is now Lubica in Spis.
        Vladimir

        _____

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
          Dave:

          Look here ...

          http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~shtetlexp5

          Couple of possibilities in Poland.

          Caye

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
            In that case, Dave, just scroll further down in that link I provided -- it's there under Slovakia.

            Caye

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
              I am sorry to bother the list, I have tried to un-subscribe by sending two
              emails to yahoo as instructed. So far no luck, I am still getting emails
              from the group..

              Can the list owner please un-subscribe me? Thank you

              Martha

              _____