Place name identification

  • David Holoshka
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
      Hi,

      Does anyone know where the town: Lajbicz is located and/or the modern
      name? The name was in use in 1902 and was likely somewhere in
      Austia/Hungary.

      Thanks

      Dave Holoshka

    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
        Hi Dave:

        The place called LAJBICZ may be one of several places, including LABICZ in
        POLAND and LABACZ in the UKRAINE. If you go to the following website for the
        FUZZY GAZETTEER, and enter the name LAJBICZ, you will see the number of
        possibilities in a rank order of probability based solely on spelling and
        phonetics:

        _http://tomcat-dmaweb1.jrc.it/fuzzyg/query/_
        (http://tomcat-dmaweb1.jrc.it/fuzzyg/query/)

        There is, however, a note of caution. As with any tool, it can be of help
        but needs to be used discerningly. When trying to determine the village of
        origin for any ancestor, try to get as much information as possibly in order to
        corroborate the information, such as the names of any other nearby villages
        and towns; otherwise, there may be a spelled-alike or sound-alike village
        that can lead one off on a wild goose chase. I hope this helps a little.

        Best regards,

        David

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
          Lajbicz is now Lubica in Spis.
          Vladimir

          _____

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
            Dave:

            Look here ...

            http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~shtetlexp5

            Couple of possibilities in Poland.

            Caye

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
              In that case, Dave, just scroll further down in that link I provided -- it's there under Slovakia.

              Caye

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
                I am sorry to bother the list, I have tried to un-subscribe by sending two
                emails to yahoo as instructed. So far no luck, I am still getting emails
                from the group..

                Can the list owner please un-subscribe me? Thank you

                Martha

                _____