Re: [S-R] FHL Records Question

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
      If you will be visiting in Slovakia in the near future, you might try
      going to the parish which had the records originally and talking to the
      pastor. I had the records (all of them) from 1722 to 1776 missing from
      the archives. I went to the church, hoping that they had duplicates,
      They had the originals. For some reason, these were never turned over to
      the state in 1895. available.

      William F. Brna

      On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:59:12 -0000 "ssultonia" <wasmore@...> writes:
      FHL Film Nrs 1791517 and 1791518 for the village of Polanovce in
      Spis County have a gap in death records (zomreli) from 1843 - 1885.
      Film series 1791540 through 43 for Spisska Kapitula have a gap of
      marriage (sobaseni) records from 1857 - 1895. These years predate the
      requirement for civil registration so should I assume the records for
      these years are lost forever or might there be other possibilities to
      find these records, or at least parts of them? These are important
      years in my research and may contain information to confirm or deny
      information from earlier and later years. I am planning another trip
      to Slovakia next year so any/all advice appreciated. Thanks. Bill

    • ssultonia
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
        Elizabeth,
        Sorry. I misunderstand. Good advice and I will certainly
        give it a try. The villages are very small and I think they are
        either served by visiting Priests or the villagers have to go
        elsewhere. I have some contacts in the area and will definitely
        enquire. Thanks.
        Bill

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@... wrote:

        > I meant, when you go there, have you checked for records in those
        places.
        > You can find the most surprising things when you actually get to go
        and look.

        > Elizabeth

      • ssultonia
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
          David,
          I recognize many of the names as ones I have seen when trolling
          through the LDS microfilms from that area. The only one that stands
          out to me is Hvizdos. In my data base I have a Maria Hvizdos from
          Dubrava marrying an Andreas Czmorej from Slatvina in 1882. You may
          already be aware of this one.
          Regards, Bill.
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, david1law@... wrote:

          > Hi Bill:
          >
          > I noticed that you mentioned SPIS and the village of POLANOVCE. My
          > ancestors lived in a number of villages near there, such as
          SLATVINA and other
          > villages south of POLANOVCE, as well as in the SIROKE parish which
          is over the
          > mountain from POLANOVCE. The following are surnames in my direct
          lineage. If
          > any of these surnames seem familiar to you, please let me know.
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > David
          >

          > Researching: BALOG (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
          > HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK,
          KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
          > RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS
          County
          > (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of
          SPISSKE
          > VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE
          HRHOV, STARY
          > SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA,
          BRZOTIN, and

        • david1law@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
            Hi Bill:

            I'm very glad to read your response. One of my great, great, great
            grandmothers is an ELIZABETH HVIZDOS from the village of KLUKNAVA (over the hill and
            in the valley southeast of SLATVINA). The HVIZDOS clan in KLUKNAVA parish is
            absolutely huge, as an index prepared by the priest LADISLAUS POPOVICH runs
            several pages for the HVIZDOS family alone. (I was so impressed at the index
            in these parish records that I always remember the priest's name). When you
            mentioned that a MARIA HVIZDOS was in your database, does that mean that she
            is in your family tree?

            I have spent some time in the SLATVINA records tracking down another line in
            my family - KOVALCIK - as my great, great, great grandmother MARIA KOVALCIK
            (married to JACOB ONDERCIN from KALAVA) was originally from SLATVINA. I've
            been working on a cluster genealogy of the KOVALCIK clan in SLATVINA, and as
            you probably know, the records for SLATVINA go back quite a ways. I had a
            major computer crash earlier this year in the summer, and now am working from a
            new computer, so I do not have ready access to a lot of the information that
            I had once collected (though I still have paper copies of documents
            somewhere), and I can't place it at the moment, but I have seen some references to
            DUBRAVA when researching my family line. The CZMOREJ surname seems familiar to
            me also but I cannot place it at the moment.

            I will write more when I get the chance. Please definitely keep in
            touch.Please also feel free to write me directly.

            Best regards,

            David

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007
              Bill Brna - what is the name of the village you speak of?

              Bill

[...]

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

              Yahoo! Groups Links