Re: [S-R] FHL Records Question

  • EMSCRS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
      I meant, when you go there, have you checked for records in those places.
      You can find the most surprising things when you actually get to go and look.

      Elizabeth

    • William F Brna
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
        If you will be visiting in Slovakia in the near future, you might try
        going to the parish which had the records originally and talking to the
        pastor. I had the records (all of them) from 1722 to 1776 missing from
        the archives. I went to the church, hoping that they had duplicates,
        They had the originals. For some reason, these were never turned over to
        the state in 1895. available.

        William F. Brna

        On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:59:12 -0000 "ssultonia" <wasmore@...> writes:
        FHL Film Nrs 1791517 and 1791518 for the village of Polanovce in
        Spis County have a gap in death records (zomreli) from 1843 - 1885.
        Film series 1791540 through 43 for Spisska Kapitula have a gap of
        marriage (sobaseni) records from 1857 - 1895. These years predate the
        requirement for civil registration so should I assume the records for
        these years are lost forever or might there be other possibilities to
        find these records, or at least parts of them? These are important
        years in my research and may contain information to confirm or deny
        information from earlier and later years. I am planning another trip
        to Slovakia next year so any/all advice appreciated. Thanks. Bill

      • ssultonia
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
          Elizabeth,
          Sorry. I misunderstand. Good advice and I will certainly
          give it a try. The villages are very small and I think they are
          either served by visiting Priests or the villagers have to go
          elsewhere. I have some contacts in the area and will definitely
          enquire. Thanks.
          Bill

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@... wrote:

          > I meant, when you go there, have you checked for records in those
          places.
          > You can find the most surprising things when you actually get to go
          and look.

          > Elizabeth

        • ssultonia
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
            David,
            I recognize many of the names as ones I have seen when trolling
            through the LDS microfilms from that area. The only one that stands
            out to me is Hvizdos. In my data base I have a Maria Hvizdos from
            Dubrava marrying an Andreas Czmorej from Slatvina in 1882. You may
            already be aware of this one.
            Regards, Bill.
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, david1law@... wrote:

            > Hi Bill:
            >
            > I noticed that you mentioned SPIS and the village of POLANOVCE. My
            > ancestors lived in a number of villages near there, such as
            SLATVINA and other
            > villages south of POLANOVCE, as well as in the SIROKE parish which
            is over the
            > mountain from POLANOVCE. The following are surnames in my direct
            lineage. If
            > any of these surnames seem familiar to you, please let me know.
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > David
            >

            > Researching: BALOG (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
            > HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK,
            KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
            > RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS
            County
            > (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of
            SPISSKE
            > VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE
            HRHOV, STARY
            > SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA,
            BRZOTIN, and

          • david1law@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
              Hi Bill:

              I'm very glad to read your response. One of my great, great, great
              grandmothers is an ELIZABETH HVIZDOS from the village of KLUKNAVA (over the hill and
              in the valley southeast of SLATVINA). The HVIZDOS clan in KLUKNAVA parish is
              absolutely huge, as an index prepared by the priest LADISLAUS POPOVICH runs
              several pages for the HVIZDOS family alone. (I was so impressed at the index
              in these parish records that I always remember the priest's name). When you
              mentioned that a MARIA HVIZDOS was in your database, does that mean that she
              is in your family tree?

              I have spent some time in the SLATVINA records tracking down another line in
              my family - KOVALCIK - as my great, great, great grandmother MARIA KOVALCIK
              (married to JACOB ONDERCIN from KALAVA) was originally from SLATVINA. I've
              been working on a cluster genealogy of the KOVALCIK clan in SLATVINA, and as
              you probably know, the records for SLATVINA go back quite a ways. I had a
              major computer crash earlier this year in the summer, and now am working from a
              new computer, so I do not have ready access to a lot of the information that
              I had once collected (though I still have paper copies of documents
              somewhere), and I can't place it at the moment, but I have seen some references to
              DUBRAVA when researching my family line. The CZMOREJ surname seems familiar to
              me also but I cannot place it at the moment.

              I will write more when I get the chance. Please definitely keep in
              touch.Please also feel free to write me directly.

              Best regards,

              David

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007
                Bill Brna - what is the name of the village you speak of?

                Bill

[...]

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                Yahoo! Groups Links