Re: [S-R] FHL Records Question

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
      Elizabeth,
      Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have been back and forth through each of
      those microfilms of the church records a few times. I have a few of
      them on permanent loan at my local FHC. Even the summary page from
      the LDS web site shows a gap in the years. I am not aware of any
      Slovak cemetery records that I might be able to access, only the
      "zomreli" (death) entries in the church records.
      R/Bill

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@... wrote:

      > Have you already checked church and cemetary records?
      >
      > Elizabeth

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
        >>> have a gap in death records (zomreli) from 1843 - 1885. . .
        have a gap of marriage (sobaseni) records from 1857 - 1895. . . .
        might there be other possibilities to find these records, or at least
        parts of them? <<<

        Druhopisy was a second or bishop's copy. Sometimes filmed, often not.

        In my particular case, Mick Sura found Dubravka, Zemplen Megye,
        Druhopisy in Satoraljaujhely, Hungary. Paul Dancu located Druhopisy for
        Senne, Ung Megye, in Romania. They did research in my behalf.

        Do your missing years exist (somewhere)? Perhaps. Mick Sura, or other
        local Slovak genealogists, may have a line on these records.

        I recently reviewed cemetery records in Dubravka. Other then telling me
        where everybody was buried, the records didn't tell me much. They don't
        contain complete family information.
      • david1law@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
          Hi Bill:

          I noticed that you mentioned SPIS and the village of POLANOVCE. My
          ancestors lived in a number of villages near there, such as SLATVINA and other
          villages south of POLANOVCE, as well as in the SIROKE parish which is over the
          mountain from POLANOVCE. The following are surnames in my direct lineage. If
          any of these surnames seem familiar to you, please let me know.

          Best regards,

          David

          Researching: BALOG (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
          HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
          RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS County
          (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of SPISSKE
          VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE HRHOV, STARY
          SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA, BRZOTIN, and
          surrounding area)

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
            I meant, when you go there, have you checked for records in those places.
            You can find the most surprising things when you actually get to go and look.

            Elizabeth

          • William F Brna
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
              If you will be visiting in Slovakia in the near future, you might try
              going to the parish which had the records originally and talking to the
              pastor. I had the records (all of them) from 1722 to 1776 missing from
              the archives. I went to the church, hoping that they had duplicates,
              They had the originals. For some reason, these were never turned over to
              the state in 1895. available.

              William F. Brna

              On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:59:12 -0000 "ssultonia" <wasmore@...> writes:
              FHL Film Nrs 1791517 and 1791518 for the village of Polanovce in
              Spis County have a gap in death records (zomreli) from 1843 - 1885.
              Film series 1791540 through 43 for Spisska Kapitula have a gap of
              marriage (sobaseni) records from 1857 - 1895. These years predate the
              requirement for civil registration so should I assume the records for
              these years are lost forever or might there be other possibilities to
              find these records, or at least parts of them? These are important
              years in my research and may contain information to confirm or deny
              information from earlier and later years. I am planning another trip
              to Slovakia next year so any/all advice appreciated. Thanks. Bill

            • ssultonia
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
                Elizabeth,
                Sorry. I misunderstand. Good advice and I will certainly
                give it a try. The villages are very small and I think they are
                either served by visiting Priests or the villagers have to go
                elsewhere. I have some contacts in the area and will definitely
                enquire. Thanks.
                Bill

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@... wrote:

                > I meant, when you go there, have you checked for records in those
                places.
                > You can find the most surprising things when you actually get to go
                and look.

                > Elizabeth

              • ssultonia
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
                  David,
                  I recognize many of the names as ones I have seen when trolling
                  through the LDS microfilms from that area. The only one that stands
                  out to me is Hvizdos. In my data base I have a Maria Hvizdos from
                  Dubrava marrying an Andreas Czmorej from Slatvina in 1882. You may
                  already be aware of this one.
                  Regards, Bill.

                • david1law@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Hi Bill:

                    I'm very glad to read your response. One of my great, great, great
                    grandmothers is an ELIZABETH HVIZDOS from the village of KLUKNAVA (over the hill and
                    in the valley southeast of SLATVINA). The HVIZDOS clan in KLUKNAVA parish is
                    absolutely huge, as an index prepared by the priest LADISLAUS POPOVICH runs
                    several pages for the HVIZDOS family alone. (I was so impressed at the index
                    in these parish records that I always remember the priest's name). When you
                    mentioned that a MARIA HVIZDOS was in your database, does that mean that she
                    is in your family tree?

                    I have spent some time in the SLATVINA records tracking down another line in
                    my family - KOVALCIK - as my great, great, great grandmother MARIA KOVALCIK
                    (married to JACOB ONDERCIN from KALAVA) was originally from SLATVINA. I've
                    been working on a cluster genealogy of the KOVALCIK clan in SLATVINA, and as
                    you probably know, the records for SLATVINA go back quite a ways. I had a
                    major computer crash earlier this year in the summer, and now am working from a
                    new computer, so I do not have ready access to a lot of the information that
                    I had once collected (though I still have paper copies of documents
                    somewhere), and I can't place it at the moment, but I have seen some references to
                    DUBRAVA when researching my family line. The CZMOREJ surname seems familiar to
                    me also but I cannot place it at the moment.

                    I will write more when I get the chance. Please definitely keep in
                    touch.Please also feel free to write me directly.

                    Best regards,

                    David

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007
                      Bill Brna - what is the name of the village you speak of?

                      Bill

[...]

                      To visit your group on the web, go to:

                      Yahoo! Groups Links