FHL Records Question

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
      FHL Film Nrs 1791517 and 1791518 for the village of Polanovce in
      Spis County have a gap in death records (zomreli) from 1843 - 1885.
      Film series 1791540 through 43 for Spisska Kapitula have a gap of
      marriage (sobaseni) records from 1857 - 1895. These years predate the
      requirement for civil registration so should I assume the records for
      these years are lost forever or might there be other possibilities to
      find these records, or at least parts of them? These are important
      years in my research and may contain information to confirm or deny
      information from earlier and later years. I am planning another trip
      to Slovakia next year so any/all advice appreciated. Thanks. Bill
    • EMSCRS@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
        Have you already checked church and cemetary records?

        Elizabeth

      • ssultonia
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
          Elizabeth,
          Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have been back and forth through each of
          those microfilms of the church records a few times. I have a few of
          them on permanent loan at my local FHC. Even the summary page from
          the LDS web site shows a gap in the years. I am not aware of any
          Slovak cemetery records that I might be able to access, only the
          "zomreli" (death) entries in the church records.
          R/Bill

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@... wrote:

          > Have you already checked church and cemetary records?
          >
          > Elizabeth

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
            >>> have a gap in death records (zomreli) from 1843 - 1885. . .
            have a gap of marriage (sobaseni) records from 1857 - 1895. . . .
            might there be other possibilities to find these records, or at least
            parts of them? <<<

            Druhopisy was a second or bishop's copy. Sometimes filmed, often not.

            In my particular case, Mick Sura found Dubravka, Zemplen Megye,
            Druhopisy in Satoraljaujhely, Hungary. Paul Dancu located Druhopisy for
            Senne, Ung Megye, in Romania. They did research in my behalf.

            Do your missing years exist (somewhere)? Perhaps. Mick Sura, or other
            local Slovak genealogists, may have a line on these records.

            I recently reviewed cemetery records in Dubravka. Other then telling me
            where everybody was buried, the records didn't tell me much. They don't
            contain complete family information.
          • david1law@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
              Hi Bill:

              I noticed that you mentioned SPIS and the village of POLANOVCE. My
              ancestors lived in a number of villages near there, such as SLATVINA and other
              villages south of POLANOVCE, as well as in the SIROKE parish which is over the
              mountain from POLANOVCE. The following are surnames in my direct lineage. If
              any of these surnames seem familiar to you, please let me know.

              Best regards,

              David

              Researching: BALOG (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
              HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
              RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS County
              (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of SPISSKE
              VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE HRHOV, STARY
              SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA, BRZOTIN, and
              surrounding area)

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
                I meant, when you go there, have you checked for records in those places.
                You can find the most surprising things when you actually get to go and look.

                Elizabeth

              • William F Brna
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
                  If you will be visiting in Slovakia in the near future, you might try
                  going to the parish which had the records originally and talking to the
                  pastor. I had the records (all of them) from 1722 to 1776 missing from
                  the archives. I went to the church, hoping that they had duplicates,
                  They had the originals. For some reason, these were never turned over to
                  the state in 1895. available.

                  William F. Brna

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Elizabeth,
                    Sorry. I misunderstand. Good advice and I will certainly
                    give it a try. The villages are very small and I think they are
                    either served by visiting Priests or the villagers have to go
                    elsewhere. I have some contacts in the area and will definitely
                    enquire. Thanks.
                    Bill

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, EMSCRS@... wrote:

                    > I meant, when you go there, have you checked for records in those
                    places.
                    > You can find the most surprising things when you actually get to go
                    and look.

                    > Elizabeth

                  • ssultonia
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
                      David,
                      I recognize many of the names as ones I have seen when trolling
                      through the LDS microfilms from that area. The only one that stands
                      out to me is Hvizdos. In my data base I have a Maria Hvizdos from
                      Dubrava marrying an Andreas Czmorej from Slatvina in 1882. You may
                      already be aware of this one.
                      Regards, Bill.

                    • david1law@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
                        Hi Bill:

                        I'm very glad to read your response. One of my great, great, great
                        grandmothers is an ELIZABETH HVIZDOS from the village of KLUKNAVA (over the hill and
                        in the valley southeast of SLATVINA). The HVIZDOS clan in KLUKNAVA parish is
                        absolutely huge, as an index prepared by the priest LADISLAUS POPOVICH runs
                        several pages for the HVIZDOS family alone. (I was so impressed at the index
                        in these parish records that I always remember the priest's name). When you
                        mentioned that a MARIA HVIZDOS was in your database, does that mean that she
                        is in your family tree?

                        I have spent some time in the SLATVINA records tracking down another line in
                        my family - KOVALCIK - as my great, great, great grandmother MARIA KOVALCIK
                        (married to JACOB ONDERCIN from KALAVA) was originally from SLATVINA. I've
                        been working on a cluster genealogy of the KOVALCIK clan in SLATVINA, and as
                        you probably know, the records for SLATVINA go back quite a ways. I had a
                        major computer crash earlier this year in the summer, and now am working from a
                        new computer, so I do not have ready access to a lot of the information that
                        I had once collected (though I still have paper copies of documents
                        somewhere), and I can't place it at the moment, but I have seen some references to
                        DUBRAVA when researching my family line. The CZMOREJ surname seems familiar to
                        me also but I cannot place it at the moment.

                        I will write more when I get the chance. Please definitely keep in
                        touch.Please also feel free to write me directly.

                        Best regards,

                        David

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007
                          Bill Brna - what is the name of the village you speak of?

                          Bill

[...]

                          To visit your group on the web, go to:

                          Yahoo! Groups Links