Re: [S-R] searching manifests, was Mail Order Brides

  • Jody Gonda
    Message 1 of 65 , Oct 31, 2007
      Yes, so many people have been so helpful with suggestions and ideas! I don't have access to ancestry.com, but I did look on the stevemorse.org site. At this time, I'm not sure, but I may have found my Mary Molnar!!! It's very hard to read, and I'm not sure how to verify if this is really my Mary Molnar. I searched in a wide date range and only saw 1 record where the age and town is correct. The town states, Obudavar, which is spelled incorrectly, but I believe that is Obaujvar, which is her town she is from in Hungary. It says she came to the US on the ship Pannonio (sp) on 12 Dec 1905 when she was 21 years of age. Since I have on file that she was born in 1884, this could be her! Now to figure out how to confirm it is her!

      J Michutka <jmm@...> wrote: Have you tried searching both the ellis island site
      (www.ellisisland.org) and the Ancestry.com site, and played with
      Steven Morse's search engine (http://stevemorse.org/)? My
      understanding is that Ellis Island and Ancestry each did their own
      indexing, and what is mis-read on one site might be more correctly
      read and indexed on the other.

      Also, I'd be very surprised if 100% of the passenger manifests are on-
      line. Always a possibility that the person you can't find is on a
      ship that isn't microfilmed, or a page that was lost or ruined, or
      who knows what.

      But hopefully your search will have a successful conclusion!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

      On Oct 31, 2007, at 10:41 AM, Jody Gonda wrote:

      > I am finding the same problem when looking for ancestors, I can
      > never seem to find the name of the females. Someone told me that
      > females when traveling with a husband did not have their name
      > recorded, and also any female traveling under the age of (18?) were
      > not recorded. Anyone know if this is true?
      > I've been trying to find my husband's grandmother, Mary Molnar.
      > Mary was born 1 Mar 1884, in Abaujvar, Hungary - per other records
      > I have on file. She married a Steve Fazekas and Steve came over on
      > the ship H.H.Meir on 29 Apr 1896, when just 17 yrs old. I can't
      > seem to find any record for Mary. :o(

      Jody
    • Jody Gonda
      Message 65 of 65 , Nov 1, 2007
        Yes, I do have the records - I had scanned them in this computer. Can I send them to you for you to take a look? Having someone to take a look and let me know what is really said would be sooo helpful!
        And, yes, I did mis-spell Abauj-Torna - sorry!

        Janet Kozlay <kozlay@...> wrote:
        Dear Jody,

        First off, Abaujvar was in Abauj-Torna megye (county), not Abney Torra. See
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm for where the megye was
        located in relation to the country at the time. You can also see a beautiful
        map of the megye itself there. Abaujvar is in the yellow section, north of
        Goncz. Note that Panyok is very close to Abaujvar.

        Second, do you have a copy of Istvan's (no "e") birth record that shows
        Klara Fazekas to be his mother? If so, look at it very carefully. If his
        father's name was Fazekas, his mother would have a different name. So, for
        example, Mary Molnar's parents should be listed as Jozsef Molnar and Maria
        Varga. Likewise, Klara Fazekas's parents were Istvan Fazekas and Elizabeth
        (Erzsebet?) Szabo. The information you give suggests that Klara was not
        married when she gave birth to Istvan, but the church record should indicate
        this. If you did not make a copy of the page for this entry, I suggest you

        It is greatly to our advantage that married women kept their maiden names.
        Otherwise it would be next to impossible to trace female lines in the
        family.

        It would also be interesting to see the page for the entry of Klara's
        marriage to Bardos. It might give further information as to her status.

        Church records often contain important information that is easily overlooked
        when (1) we look only for names and dates and (2) when we cannot read the
        language. Making a good copy is important, and there are always people more
        than willing to help read and/or translate the other information.

        So far I have come up empty with your manifests. But we have to keep trying.

        Janet

        _____