Re: Religion switch?

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, jbracken <jbracken@h...> wrote:

      > Frank,
      >
      > Thanks so much for the information about the Brtislava phone book.
      I have
      > my grandfather's original application for SS benefits but it lists
      his
      > birthplace as Czechoslovakia. His citizenship papers all list the
      > birthplace as Austria Hungary.
      > His Homestead land grant says he was born in Czechoslovakia.
      >
      > The vice premier of Slovak Republic Pavol Hamzik might be a link
      according
      > a researcher I hired in Slovak Republic, but his roots are in
      Hungary.
      > Pavol's birthplace is Trencin and his grandfather's name was also
      Michal
      > Hamzik. At the moment, I feel that I've spent my limit and have
      decided to
      > try to find the birthplace
      > on the passenger manifest. I know the date he arrived and have
      requested
      > NARA to
      > search one ship. but his name was not on that list.
      >
      > I would appreciate your sending me the addresses of the Hamziks in
      the
      > Bratislava
      > phone directory, if you have a copy. I am handicapped because I do
      not read
      > or write in Slovak.
      >
      > I would deeply appreciate any information you might provide.
      >
      > Joyce

      Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
      (10th century-1918) and part of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.

      Any Slovak surname roots could be from Hungary because the Magyars
      ruled Slovakia from 906 AD to 1918 AD.
      Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier the
      Austrian Empire.

      In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from
      Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
      portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

      (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

      If you know date of arrival in U.S. , you can search Index to
      Passenger Lists for the port of entry and the ship
      manifest films for your surnames yourself.

      Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

      LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

      Addresses

      Ján Hamz^ík Karpatské nám. Bratislava
      Jana Hamz^íková J. Smreka Bratislava
      (Bratislava is large and has 21 different postal codes)

      Ing. Pavel Hamz^ík Zlatovská Trenc^ín
      (Trenc^ín has 11 different postal codes)

      Marcela Hamz^íková Cintorinska Trebis^ov
      (Trebis^ov has 3 different postal codes)

      Note : The feminine form of the surname is considered merely a
      separate form of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
      The surname is still Hamz^ík.
      As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská,
      or -ová.

      Frank Kurcina