Re: [S-R] Re: stillborn records

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 2007
      Sue,
      New Jersey does not list stillborns in death or birth records,
      unfortunately. They have a separate archive of actual stillborn certificates. To request
      a copy of a record, you must know the exact date and place of the birth.
      My mother was not in Jersey but in Brooklyn for a brief time and this could
      have been where our stillborn sibling was born. I have to see how New York
      records stillborn vital statistics.
      Our cemetery at that time buried stillborns along the fence with no markers.
      It was because of the non-baptized status and the thinking was that the
      baby went to Limbo. Now that is not the thinking and stillborn babies are
      buried in plots with markers in consecrated soil.
      As a very small child, I remember my mother always going to that part of the
      cemetery each time she cared for her parents' grave and I asked her who she
      was looking for. She never told me about the baby's burial, but said that a
      friend of hers died and she was always looking for the grave. I will never
      know if that was the case. No one spoke of stillborn babies in those days. I
      find that this is sad because a life is not remembered.
      Noreen