Re: [S-R] Princzed & Falsorad

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 23, 2007
      Hi Milan:

      When the exact spelling of a place name is not known, one of the best places
      to search is called the FUZZY GAZETTEER which permits a person to search
      phonetically:

      _http://tomcat-dmaweb1.jrc.it/fuzzyg/query/_
      (http://tomcat-dmaweb1.jrc.it/fuzzyg/query/)

      When I placed the name FALSORAD in the FUZZY GAZETTEER search engine, one
      possibility that appeared toward the top of the list is FELSORADA in PEST
      MEGYE, HUNGARY. When I tried PRINCZED in the FUZZY GAZETTEER, some various places
      appeared, but the results did seem to reveal a good place name in Slovakia
      or Hungary with any confidence. If possible, can you find out when your
      friend's grandparents came to the United States? Did they come through Ellis
      Island? If so, there may be clues in the Ellis Island database, or in
      naturalization papers, etc.

      I also highly recommend Bill Tarkulich's Eastern Genealogical Research
      Strategies website at _www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com) which contains a lot
      of great advice about searching for ancestors in what was part of the former
      kingdom of Hungary (whether now part of Slovakia or Hungary, etc.). One
      piece of advice to keep in mind is to try to corroborate as much information as
      possible in regard to the identifying the correct place of origin.
      Otherwise, one may find themselves off on the proverbial wild goose chase, looking for
      persons who may have the same first and last name as an ancestor but in the
      wrong village. Identifying the correct village of origin is of the greatest
      importance. I hope this helps a little.

      Best regards,

      David