Re: [S-R] Re: Researching name Eva & George Seech-----FIND MY VILLAGE PLEASE

  • b
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 23, 2007
      Thanks for the information. I will check out all the websites and see if anything comes up.

      And i will add a few different speelings of the Seech Surname in my research now.
      Bonnie Seech-Dailey
      panther7775@...

      hane48ish <hane48ish@...> wrote:
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sinbad Schwartz"
      <sandman6294@...> wrote:

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, b <panther7775@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes, sorry about that. My name is Bonnie Seech-Dailey. George Seech
      > and Anna Cmar Seech are my Great Grandparents.
      > >
      > > Also, on the 1910 census i have of Sharon, Pa.
      > > George and Eva have down that they both immigrated in 1897.
      >
      > The surname Seech has probably been changed (Americanized). A good
      > candidate for the original name would be Sic^ (pronounced Sich or
      > possibly Seech). There are about 25 Sic^ and 15 Sic surnames in the SK
      > online phone book. Most appear to be located in Eastern Slovakia.
      >
      > RU

      Hi, Bonnie,
      My Great Grandmother was a Sics, Secs, Sec with v over the c, Suz with
      " over u and v over c, Ssucs with " over the u, Szucs with " over the
      u, Szicz, Scucz with " over the u...I have seen many spellings of her
      name! It all depended upon who was documenting the record, if they
      were german, hungarian, slovak, speaking...or latin. She came from
      the area that is currently western Slovakia, around Bratislava. Her
      name was pronounced like yours SEECH. The surname, is # 27 on the
      list of the most common surnames of Hungarian origin. They spell it
      as "Szucs" with " over the u. It means: leather taylor/furrier.
      There is a website where you can do some Hungarian research:
      RadixForum: http://radixindex.com
      there you can search:
      http://bogardi.com/gen
      You can research where the surname was found on the map. You can
      research the surname and see it's many spellings!
      http://radixindex.com/surnameindex/surnameindex_sz.shtml
      Put in the search the different spellings, and look down the list of
      what the results are!

      Your best bet will be to try and find the name of a town, or at least
      area where they came from.

      Bonnie A. Dailey