Military records

  • srteply
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 11, 2007
      I am searching for Military records from Czech. between the dates of
      1883 (When he came to US) and approx 1860 or 1870. Old family
      letters translated stated he was in the military and quit to come to
      the states. In researching I've read that records were kept in the
      archive in Prague. I've also read that in recent years most records
      are returned to the original origin of residency when separation of
      countries was re-established/given back. Is there another locations
      where old slovakian military records can be found?

      Thanks
      Shyla
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 11, 2007
        # Czech Military Archives, Prague

        * Personnel sheets (kmenovy list) of all individuals who served in
        former Czechoslovak army (first republic) between W.W.I and W.W.II
        * Personnel files of individuals born before 1911 (including 1911)
        * It appears that Prague has data about individuals who were age 50 or
        younger circa 1920, which implies that they have data on individuals
        born 1870-1911 who were later citizens of Czechoslovakia. It appears
        that the archives were not properly funded to properly split the
        records in 1993 when Czechoslovakia was split into the Czech and
        Slovak Republics.
        Source: me
        (http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/military_records_in_upper_hungar.htm)

        Pre-1867 Military Records - Vienna War Archives

        Repatriation, which legislated didn't always happen.

        Bill

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 12, 2007
          Thanks you for the information. I appreciated the link. Much more
          detailed information on the archives.

          Shyla

          <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

          > # Czech Military Archives, Prague
          >
          > * Personnel sheets (kmenovy list) of all individuals who served
          in
          > former Czechoslovak army (first republic) between W.W.I and W.W.II
          > * Personnel files of individuals born before 1911 (including
          1911)
          > * It appears that Prague has data about individuals who were
          age 50 or
          > younger circa 1920, which implies that they have data on individuals
          > born 1870-1911 who were later citizens of Czechoslovakia. It
          appears
          > that the archives were not properly funded to properly split the
          > records in 1993 when Czechoslovakia was split into the Czech and
          > Slovak Republics.
          > Source: me

          (http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/military_records_in_upper_hungar.htm)

          > Pre-1867 Military Records - Vienna War Archives
          >
          > Repatriation, which legislated didn't always happen.
          >
          > Bill
          >
          > On Thu, October 11, 2007 11:05 am, srteply wrote:
          > > I am searching for Military records from Czech. between the dates
          of
          > > 1883 (When he came to US) and approx 1860 or 1870. Old family
          > > letters translated stated he was in the military and quit to come
          > > the states. In researching I've read that records were kept in
          the
          > > archive in Prague. I've also read that in recent years most
          records
          > > are returned to the original origin of residency when separation
          of
          > > countries was re-established/given back. Is there another
          locations
          > > where old slovakian military records can be found?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Shyla

          email to
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Bill Tarkulich
          > http://www.iabsi.com

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 14, 2007
            Hi -

            Everyone is invited to the Slovak Party on Sat. Nov 4
            at 4 pm. in Pittsburgh (Moon Township near the
            airport.) Glad to give you more details or send you
            the invitation via e mail or snail mail.

            Would be great if you could join us. Wishing for a
            Star Trek transporter so you could just give one click
            and show up on the doorstep.

            Helenezx@...

            http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
          • Bratgirl54@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 14, 2007
              OH wow! Sounds great and would love to be there,,but schedule not
              permitting us this year...Thanks!

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 15, 2007
                Please note the Slovak Party is Sat., Nov 3 not Nov 4
                which is the date of the Slovak Festival at Pitt.

                e mail me direct if you have any questions.

                helene

                --- helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                > Hi -
                >
                > Everyone is invited to the Slovak Party on Sat. Nov
                > 4
                > at 4 pm. in Pittsburgh (Moon Township near the
                > airport.) Glad to give you more details or send you
                > the invitation via e mail or snail mail.
                >
                > Would be great if you could join us. Wishing for a
                > Star Trek transporter so you could just give one
                > click
                > and show up on the doorstep.
                >
                > Helenezx@...

                > Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you
                > sell.
                > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

              • Curt Bochanyin
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 12 12:21 PM
                  I am pondering ordering the film of the military records (muster rolls)
                  from Homona (Humenné) district 1873-1888, which is available from the
                  FHL. Have any of you had any experience with these? Can you advise
                  what kind of data they contain. I suppose they are entirely in
                  Hungarian...

                  Curt Bochanyin>
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 12 12:27 PM
                    I've provided a guide on this limited set of records.
                    http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/military_records__muster_lists.htm
                    Bill

                    On Mon, January 12, 2009 3:21 pm, Curt Bochanyin wrote:
                    > I am pondering ordering the film of the military records (muster rolls)
                    > from Homona (Humenné) district 1873-1888, which is available from the
                    > FHL. Have any of you had any experience with these? Can you advise
                    > what kind of data they contain. I suppose they are entirely in
                    > Hungarian...
                    >
                    > Curt Bochanyin>

                    Bill Tarkulich
                    http://www.iabsi.com
                  • Frank R Plichta
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 12 12:28 PM
                      I have not looked at the muster rolls but my understanding is that in order
                      to find an individual in the Hungarian military records you need to know the
                      unit to which the individuals was assigned. If you find out that these
                      records provide individual information without that bit of data, then I
                      would be interested in knowing about it.

                      I was fortunate to find 8 pages of medical records from my grandfather’s
                      military service in the Austro-Hungarian Army during WWI when I visited the
                      military archives in Vienna, Austria. I now know that my GF served in
                      Infantry Regiment 34. I have yet to follow up on that information and find
                      out anything else about his military career. I know that he served for
                      several years during WWI and was hospitalized on two occasions. I have
                      medical records in the German Language from both hospitalizations.

                      Good Luck,

                      Frank Plichta

                      “Searching the world for PLICHTAs”

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 12 8:40 PM
                        Bill,
                        Thanks for the note and the sample with translation of headers. My
                        grandfather served in the army in 1883- 84 out of the Humenné
                        district. This looks like a very tough task, so I'll leave it to the
                        last.

                        Curt B.

                        <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                        > I've provided a guide on this limited set of records.
                        > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/military_records__muster_lists.htm
                        > Bill
                        >
                        > On Mon, January 12, 2009 3:21 pm, Curt Bochanyin wrote:
                        > > I am pondering ordering the film of the military records (muster
                        rolls)
                        > > from Homona (Humenné) district 1873-1888, which is available from
                        the
                        > > FHL. Have any of you had any experience with these? Can you
                        advise
                        > > what kind of data they contain. I suppose they are entirely in
                        > > Hungarian...
                        > >
                        > > Curt Bochanyin>

                        > --
                        > Bill Tarkulich
                        > http://www.iabsi.com

                      • Ben Sorensen
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 13 5:01 AM
                          I have experience with the rolls of the Second Empire (Germany).  They usually list parents names, and data on the subject, perhaps including his weight, marital status, religion... They are really straightforward once you translate the column-headings. (The columns can give you an idea of what word to expect in the data... really making it easy!)

                          Have fun with them!
                          GOOD LUCK!
                          Ben

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 20, 2009
                            I am really confused regarding identifying Military Muster rolls for towns in present-day Slovakia.

                            Family search pulls up 146 matches for Katonai nyilvántartási jegyzék.

                            Is there some sort of online resource that will tell me which military district a particular town in Slovakia would fall into?

                            I did find some info pertaining to 16 districts of the Austria Military prior in 1898, but these military districts do not seem to reflect what is on the LDS website under Katonai nyilvántartási jegyzék.

                            One particular town, Ujvaros, is near Gonc and also near Gálszécs. I have searched for something online, that would identify which "district" a town would fall into, but to no avail.

                            Other towns of interest to my own personal research would be Vorosvagas,(Cervenica) NE of Kassa (Kosice) and Trnava, near present day Bratislava. Can anyone assist me as to how I would determine which district these towns would fall into?

                            I am grateful for any assistance.
                            Thanks

                            Barbara
                          • Carl
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 21, 2009
                              Barbara,
                              The military recruitment districts changed over time. So, you will have to identify the time period for which you are interested.

                              Essential Recruitment Location charts are found in Alphons Wrede's History of the Austrian and Austro-Hungarian Armed Forces: Geschichte der k. und k. Wehrmacht. Wien: L. W. Seidel & Sohn, 1898-1909. 6 vols. (Film #1186632-1186633). The primary chart is called: Uebersicht der Werb- (Ergänzungs-) Bezirks-Eintheilung von 1781 bis 1889. It is found in Vol. 1, p.114. The charts show regimental recruiting area assignments over an extended period of time.

                              Here are the headquarters for various Slovakian regiments for one time period.

                              Slovakian army regiments 1860 to 1883:
                              IR 12 Komorn (Komarno)
                              IR 25 Losonez (Lucenec)
                              IR 26 Estergorn (Gran)
                              IR 34 Kaschau (Kosice)
                              IR 66 Unghvar (Uzhorod)
                              IR 67 Eperius (Presov)
                              IR 71 Trentschin (Trencin)
                              IR72 Prseeburg ( Bratislave, Pozsony)

                              I also have a chart that shows Hungarian Infantry Recruitment Districts by County from 1781 to 1883. Most counties had several different regiments over that time period. But if you know the year and the county, this chart will provide you with the correct one. If you can give me that information, I can look it up for you.

                              Carl

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "genmom4" <geismom@...> wrote:

                              > I am really confused regarding identifying Military Muster rolls for towns in present-day Slovakia.
                              >
                              > Family search pulls up 146 matches for Katonai nyilvántartási jegyzék.
                              >
                              > Is there some sort of online resource that will tell me which military district a particular town in Slovakia would fall into?
                              >
                              > I did find some info pertaining to 16 districts of the Austria Military prior in 1898, but these military districts do not seem to reflect what is on the LDS website under Katonai nyilvántartási jegyzék.
                              >

                              > One particular town, Ujvaros, is near Gonc and also near Gálszécs. I have searched for something online, that would identify which "district" a town would fall into, but to no avail.
                              >
                              > Other towns of interest to my own personal research would be Vorosvagas,(Cervenica) NE of Kassa (Kosice) and Trnava, near present day Bratislava. Can anyone assist me as to how I would determine which district these towns would fall into?
                              >
                              > I am grateful for any assistance.
                              > Thanks
                              >
                              > Barbara

                            • jcotteret
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 22, 2009
                                Hi Carl,
                                Does your chart or your map also deal with Cavalry Regiments recruitment districts ?
                                In such a case I'm interested in Hussar Regiments(HR)in 1800; HR6, HR7 and HR12 , in all territories of "Hungary", Transylvania included.
                                I would be so delighted with any detail available.
                                Thanking you in the meanwhile
                                Jacques

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@...> wrote:

                                > Barbara,
                                > The military recruitment districts changed over time. So, you will have to identify the time period for which you are interested.
                                >
                                > Essential Recruitment Location charts are found in Alphons Wrede's History of the Austrian and Austro-Hungarian Armed Forces: Geschichte der k. und k. Wehrmacht. Wien: L. W. Seidel & Sohn, 1898-1909. 6 vols. (Film #1186632-1186633). The primary chart is called: Uebersicht der Werb- (Ergänzungs-) Bezirks-Eintheilung von 1781 bis 1889. It is found in Vol. 1, p.114. The charts show regimental recruiting area assignments over an extended period of time.
                                >> I also have a chart that shows Hungarian Infantry Recruitment Districts by County from 1781 to 1883. Most counties had several different regiments over that time period. But if you know the year and the county, this chart will provide you with the correct one. If you can give me that information, I can look it up for you.
                                >
                                > Carl

                              • Carl
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 22, 2009
                                  Jacques,
                                  The chart only has infantry recruitment districts. But the Map does show areas for the various Hussar regiments. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the Cavalry records do not come from specific recruitment districts. I too am interested in HR6 (and also HR9). The Austrian Kreigs Archive has records called the Grundbuchblätter which have also been recorded by the LDS. For Hungarian troops, these cover the years from 1820 to 1860 and in some cases to 1869. You can find these films using the keywords: Grundbuchblätter Österreich. Armee. Kavallerie. Husarenregiment

                                  These Grundbuch records frequently contain all or part of the man's service records, including transfers between units, campaigns served in, medals awarded, desertions, promotions, court martials, etc.

                                  The Grundbuch records were kept in triplet. One copy stayed with
                                  the regiment, one copy went to the Inhaber and the final copy went to
                                  Vienna. Almost always, the first two copies have been lost and only the Vienna copy survives. However, for Hungarian regiments, starting at the time of the Ausglich, copies were no longer sent to Vienna but instead were sent to Budapest. The Budapest copies were apparently lost long ago. As a result there are no Grundbuch records for Hungarian regiments after ca 1866.

                                  Unfortunately, the LDS records for the Hussars are a mess! For years they were even cataloged incorrectly. After I sent them a number of letters, they did change the titles to indicate that the films contain the records from 1820 to 1869. But they did not index the film titles beyond 1860. So many films are just listed as "Heft XXX" with no dates to tell you what years are covered in that film.

                                  Although the literature says that Cavalry units recruited with specific infantry regiments in their recruitment districts, I have not found that to be the case. I found that the records for HR6 and HR9 had soldiers from all over Hungary and not from a specific district. Consequently, I have not been able to find the records for my ancestors.

                                  You mentioned that you were interested in records for 1800. There are additional records called "Musterlisten und Standestrabellen" that cover the years before 1820. These records are muster rolls and formation tables for all soldiers and officers during 1740-1820. These are also available from the LDS but I have no experience with them.
                                  best of luck,
                                  Carl

                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret" <jacques.cotteret@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Carl,
                                  > Does your chart or your map also deal with Cavalry Regiments recruitment districts ?
                                  > In such a case I'm interested in Hussar Regiments(HR)in 1800; HR6, HR7 and HR12 , in all territories of "Hungary", Transylvania included.
                                  > I would be so delighted with any detail available.
                                  > Thanking you in the meanwhile
                                  > Jacques
                                  >

                                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Barbara,
                                  > > The military recruitment districts changed over time. So, you will have to identify the time period for which you are interested.
                                  > >
                                  > > Essential Recruitment Location charts are found in Alphons Wrede's History of the Austrian and Austro-Hungarian Armed Forces: Geschichte der k. und k. Wehrmacht. Wien: L. W. Seidel & Sohn, 1898-1909. 6 vols. (Film #1186632-1186633). The primary chart is called: Uebersicht der Werb- (Ergänzungs-) Bezirks-Eintheilung von 1781 bis 1889. It is found in Vol. 1, p.114. The charts show regimental recruiting area assignments over an extended period of time.
                                  > >> I also have a chart that shows Hungarian Infantry Recruitment Districts by County from 1781 to 1883. Most counties had several different regiments over that time period. But if you know the year and the county, this chart will provide you with the correct one. If you can give me that information, I can look it up for you.
                                  > >
                                  > > Carl

                                • Frank R Plichta
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 22, 2009
                                    The last time I visited the Vienna Archives, I submitted a request to the
                                    Austro-Hungarian Military section to look for records for my grandfather who
                                    served in WWI.

                                    I had an old photo postcard showing my grandfather with a group of other
                                    soldiers. The post card had postal cancellation markings on it that showed
                                    it was postmarked at a Reserve Military Hospital at Krems a’ Donu. One week
                                    after I returned home from the trip, I received a package in the mail that
                                    contained 8 pages of medical records for my grandfather that showed he had
                                    been hospitalized twice during WWI. The medical information was very
                                    interesting and explained a great deal about his condition and the medical
                                    care he received. The hospital even recommended that he be given a three
                                    month leave of absence which was documented by a written record from the
                                    Infantry Regiment #34.

                                    The nice thing about the records (written in German) was that it showed his
                                    military unit as Infantry Regiment #34. They told me at the Vienna Archives
                                    that I could go to Budapest Archives and learn more about his military
                                    service.

                                    Unfortunately the last time I went to Budapest it was a national holiday and
                                    the archives were closed. I only had one day to spend there because of my
                                    travel plans and the need to meet relatives in Slovakia at a certain time
                                    and place. Guess I need to plan another trip back to Budapest. Lesson
                                    learned: Always check the national holidays if you have limited time in a
                                    city.

                                    Frank

                                    _____

> [...]

                                    to identify the time period for which you are interested.

                                    > > Essential Recruitment Location charts are found in Alphons Wrede's
                                    History of the Austrian and Austro-Hungarian Armed Forces: Geschichte der k.
                                    und k. Wehrmacht. Wien: L. W. Seidel & Sohn, 1898-1909. 6 vols. (Film
                                    #1186632-1186633). The primary chart is called: Uebersicht der Werb-
                                    (Ergänzungs-) Bezirks-Eintheilung von 1781 bis 1889. It is found in Vol. 1,
                                    p.114. The charts show regimental recruiting area assignments over an
                                    extended period of time.
                                    > >> I also have a chart that shows Hungarian Infantry Recruitment Districts
                                    by County from 1781 to 1883. Most counties had several different regiments
                                    over that time period. But if you know the year and the county, this chart
                                    will provide you with the correct one. If you can give me that information,

                                  • Carl
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 23, 2009
                                      Jacques,
                                      Here is a web site that lists the recruitment districts for each of the Huszaren Regiments in the late 1700s and early 1800s.
                                      http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Austria/cavalry/c_austriancav4.html

                                      Carl

                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret" <jacques.cotteret@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Carl,
                                      > Does your chart or your map also deal with Cavalry Regiments recruitment districts ?
                                      > In such a case I'm interested in Hussar Regiments(HR)in 1800; HR6, HR7 and HR12 , in all territories of "Hungary", Transylvania included.
                                      > I would be so delighted with any detail available.
                                      > Thanking you in the meanwhile
                                      > Jacques
                                      >

                                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Barbara,
                                      > > The military recruitment districts changed over time. So, you will have to identify the time period for which you are interested.
                                      > >
                                      > > Essential Recruitment Location charts are found in Alphons Wrede's History of the Austrian and Austro-Hungarian Armed Forces: Geschichte der k. und k. Wehrmacht. Wien: L. W. Seidel & Sohn, 1898-1909. 6 vols. (Film #1186632-1186633). The primary chart is called: Uebersicht der Werb- (Ergänzungs-) Bezirks-Eintheilung von 1781 bis 1889. It is found in Vol. 1, p.114. The charts show regimental recruiting area assignments over an extended period of time.
                                      > >> I also have a chart that shows Hungarian Infantry Recruitment Districts by County from 1781 to 1883. Most counties had several different regiments over that time period. But if you know the year and the county, this chart will provide you with the correct one. If you can give me that information, I can look it up for you.
                                      > >
                                      > > Carl

                                    • jcotteret
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
                                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@...> wrote:

                                        > Jacques,
                                        > Here is a web site that lists the recruitment districts for each of the Huszaren Regiments in the late 1700s and early 1800s.
                                        > http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Austria/cavalry/c_austriancav4.html
                                        >
                                        > Carl

                                        Dear Carl,
                                        I'm so grateful to you for giving me such relevant information about the LDS miltary records and the above mentioned link.
                                        I have been pondering for so many years on how to get these registers avoiding to get them directly from the Vienna Archives (so complicated!)and you gave the answer in a few words !
                                        Congratulations ! You really ARE the expert on this topic.
                                        As I incindently went to my local LDS Center 2 days ago, I ordered the 3 most relevant rolls (HR6,HR7 and HR12).
                                        It's in the pipeline !
                                        Refering to the Napoleon series website, I visited it 3 or 4 years ago and got so the battle order at the battle of Ulm, but the aerea of recruitment was not available at that time.
                                        HR6 is probably the target to focuss on.
                                        Many thanks once more for your help.
                                        I 'll let you know the results.
                                        Regards.
                                        Jacques
                                      • Carl
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
                                          Jacques,
                                          Glad the information helped you. Can you tell me the name of the former county where your ancestor lived in Upper Hungary and what the time period is? HR6 began recruiting around the Kassa (Kosice)area in 1873. But in the late 1700's and early 1800s, all of the counties that are now in Eastern Slovakia were recruited by HR10. I have been trying to determine which HR regiment recruited in the Kassa district between the years of 1809 and 1873. It might have continued to be HR10. But I am not sure. So, I am currently planning on reviewing the HR10 films to see if I can determine this.
                                          Carl

                                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret" <jacques.cotteret@...> wrote:

                                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Jacques,
                                          > > Here is a web site that lists the recruitment districts for each of the Huszaren Regiments in the late 1700s and early 1800s.
                                          > > http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Austria/cavalry/c_austriancav4.html
                                          > >
                                          > > Carl
                                          > >
                                          > Dear Carl,
                                          > I'm so grateful to you for giving me such relevant information about the LDS miltary records and the above mentioned link.
                                          > I have been pondering for so many years on how to get these registers avoiding to get them directly from the Vienna Archives (so complicated!)and you gave the answer in a few words !
                                          > Congratulations ! You really ARE the expert on this topic.
                                          > As I incindently went to my local LDS Center 2 days ago, I ordered the 3 most relevant rolls (HR6,HR7 and HR12).
                                          > It's in the pipeline !
                                          > Refering to the Napoleon series website, I visited it 3 or 4 years ago and got so the battle order at the battle of Ulm, but the aerea of recruitment was not available at that time.
                                          > HR6 is probably the target to focuss on.
                                          > Many thanks once more for your help.
                                          > I 'll let you know the results.
                                          > Regards.
                                          > Jacques

                                        • Jan Ammann
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009

                                            Hello Frank...............I read your email and remembered my time in Hungary two years ago.  If you recall, I had all your military info with me and was going to the Budapest Archives to see if I could help you on your information.

                                            And guess what??  I was there during the month of August and that month is a holiday time for Europeans so all government offices and those related to government affairs are closed.

                                            BTW..........we did make it through the front door and up a few steps and I could see the shelves in front of me......oh joy......jock full of books, etc.  There was a large guard there however and he stopped us.  He did say that we could come back tomorrow (I was leaving Budapest that evening and going back to Gyor) as it was a "people day" and entrance was allowed.  What bad luck!!!

                                            So just another reminder to the group............try to use part of July or part of September as your vacation/genealogy time........

                                            Jan

> [...]

                                            to identify the time period for which you are interested.

                                            > > Essential Recruitment Location charts are found in Alphons Wrede's
                                            History of the Austrian and Austro-Hungarian Armed Forces: Geschichte der k..
                                            und k. Wehrmacht. Wien: L. W. Seidel & Sohn, 1898-1909. 6 vols. (Film
                                            #1186632-1186633) . The primary chart is called: Uebersicht der Werb-
                                            (Ergänzungs-) Bezirks-Eintheilung von 1781 bis 1889. It is found in Vol. 1,
                                            p.114. The charts show regimental recruiting area assignments over an
                                            extended period of time.
                                            > >> I also have a chart that shows Hungarian Infantry Recruitment Districts
                                            by County from 1781 to 1883. Most counties had several different regiments
                                            over that time period. But if you know the year and the county, this chart
                                            will provide you with the correct one. If you can give me that information,

                                          • Frank R Plichta
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
                                              Jan,

                                              Yes I remember your kind offer. Seems we both need to look at the local
                                              calendar and find out if the archives will be open.

                                              The 8 pages of medical information I received for my Grandfather from WWI
                                              was very interesting and I’m glad that I was able to get that information.
                                              I’m still on the hook to try to get to Budapest sometime in the future. But
                                              that will have to wait. My wife and I are off to Athens, Greece and Turkey
                                              for our two weeks this year. Europe will have to wait till next year.

                                              Frank

                                              _____

> [...]

                                              to identify the time period for which you are interested.

                                              > > Essential Recruitment Location charts are found in Alphons Wrede's
                                              History of the Austrian and Austro-Hungarian Armed Forces: Geschichte der
                                              k..
                                              und k. Wehrmacht. Wien: L. W. Seidel & Sohn, 1898-1909. 6 vols. (Film
                                              #1186632-1186633) . The primary chart is called: Uebersicht der Werb-
                                              (Ergänzungs-) Bezirks-Eintheilung von 1781 bis 1889. It is found in Vol. 1,
                                              p.114. The charts show regimental recruiting area assignments over an
                                              extended period of time.
                                              > >> I also have a chart that shows Hungarian Infantry Recruitment Districts
                                              by County from 1781 to 1883. Most counties had several different regiments
                                              over that time period. But if you know the year and the county, this chart
                                              will provide you with the correct one. If you can give me that information,

                                            • Jan Ammann
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
                                                Hello Frank..........Have a wonderful trip!!! Perhaps you can give us some info on your trip when you are back home.

                                              • jcotteret
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 26, 2009
                                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@...> wrote:

                                                  > Jacques,
                                                  > Glad the information helped you. Can you tell me the name of the former county where your ancestor lived in Upper Hungary and what the time period is? HR6 began recruiting around the Kassa (Kosice)area in 1873. But in the late 1700's and early 1800s, all of the counties that are now in Eastern Slovakia were recruited by HR10. I have been trying to determine which HR regiment recruited in the Kassa district between the years of 1809 and 1873. It might have continued to be HR10. But I am not sure. So, I am currently planning on reviewing the HR10 films to see if I can determine this.
                                                  > Carl
                                                  >

                                                  >Dear Carl,
                                                  My ancestor was born in 1778 in the historic county of Bihar, one of the oldest counties of the Hungarian kingdom, formed before the 12th century, the capital of which was then Nagyvarad that now lies in Romania under the name of Oradea.
                                                  That's the reason why I focuss on HR6, for its recruitment aerea was Oradea.

                                                  Jacques
                                                • Carl
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 26, 2009
                                                    Jacques,
                                                    You are correct. HR6 had the recruitment district that included Bihar County in 1800. My military map and charts show that HR6 recruited in Grosswardein (the original Hungarian Nagyvárad, today Oradea) at that time. This district included the counties of Bekes, Bihar, Csanad, Arad and the lands left of the Theises. Bihar was divided into a North and South region. Infantry regiment 37 recruited in both regions from 1781 until 1809. After 1809, IR37 continued to recruit in the South but IR39 took over the Northern region of Bihar. HR14 was associated with IR37 and IR39 and at some point HR14 took over Hussar recruitment in the Grosswardein District. HR6 moved to the Kaschau (Kosice) district around 1873. The associated infantry regiments for HR6 were IR34, IR66, and IR79. I cannot determine when HR14 took over Bihar County from HR6, but it was certainly after 1809 at the earliest and probably much later.

                                                    I bring up the infantry regiments because sometimes Hussars were drawn from infantry regiments instead of being recruited directly into the cavalry. So, you may want to check the records for IR37 to see if your ancestor was there first. But hopefully, you will find him in the HR6 records. Good luck and please let me know what you find.
                                                    Carl

                                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret" <jacques.cotteret@...> wrote:

                                                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Jacques,
                                                    > > Glad the information helped you. Can you tell me the name of the former county where your ancestor lived in Upper Hungary and what the time period is? HR6 began recruiting around the Kassa (Kosice)area in 1873. But in the late 1700's and early 1800s, all of the counties that are now in Eastern Slovakia were recruited by HR10. I have been trying to determine which HR regiment recruited in the Kassa district between the years of 1809 and 1873. It might have continued to be HR10. But I am not sure. So, I am currently planning on reviewing the HR10 films to see if I can determine this.
                                                    > > Carl
                                                    > >

                                                    > >Dear Carl,
                                                    > My ancestor was born in 1778 in the historic county of Bihar, one of the oldest counties of the Hungarian kingdom, formed before the 12th century, the capital of which was then Nagyvarad that now lies in Romania under the name of Oradea.
                                                    > That's the reason why I focuss on HR6, for its recruitment aerea was Oradea.
                                                    >
                                                    > Jacques

                                                  • jcotteret
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 30, 2009
                                                      Carl,
                                                      I have one more question to ask you :
                                                      Can your wonderful maps and charts tell us the various regiments (infantry, cavalry and others) present at Rzeszow (former in Galicia, now in Poland) from 1790 to 1800.
                                                      Waiting for miracles to be done,
                                                      Regards
                                                      Jacques

                                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@...> wrote:

                                                      > Jacques,
                                                      > Here is a web site that lists the recruitment districts for each of the Huszaren Regiments in the late 1700s and early 1800s.
                                                      > http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Austria/cavalry/c_austriancav4.html
                                                      >
                                                      > Carl
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret" <jacques.cotteret@> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Hi Carl,
                                                      > > Does your chart or your map also deal with Cavalry Regiments recruitment districts ?
                                                      > > In such a case I'm interested in Hussar Regiments(HR)in 1800; HR6, HR7 and HR12 , in all territories of "Hungary", Transylvania included.
                                                      > > I would be so delighted with any detail available.
                                                      > > Thanking you in the meanwhile
                                                      > > Jacques
                                                      > >

                                                      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@> wrote:
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Barbara,
                                                      > > > The military recruitment districts changed over time. So, you will have to identify the time period for which you are interested.
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Essential Recruitment Location charts are found in Alphons Wrede's History of the Austrian and Austro-Hungarian Armed Forces: Geschichte der k. und k. Wehrmacht. Wien: L. W. Seidel & Sohn, 1898-1909. 6 vols. (Film #1186632-1186633). The primary chart is called: Uebersicht der Werb- (Ergänzungs-) Bezirks-Eintheilung von 1781 bis 1889. It is found in Vol. 1, p.114. The charts show regimental recruiting area assignments over an extended period of time.
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Carl

                                                    • Carl
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Sep 30, 2009
                                                        Hi Jacques,
                                                        Yes, Rzeszow was in Galicia which was in the Austrian military districts instead of the Hungarian districts. I have the information about the infantry regiments for Galicia but not the cavalry.
                                                        Here is the information about which infantry regiments could recruit in Rzeszow during various time periods.

                                                        State District 1781 1807 1817 1830
                                                        Galizien Rzeszów 26 & 45 29 & 8 10 40

                                                        After 1830, IR40 was the only one recruiting in this district for the rest of the century. So, it would appear that IR26 and IR45 are the ones you will be interested in.

                                                        Your questions have caused me to review lots of my files which I have not done for quite a while. One of the books that I have gives the regimental histories for each of the IR and Cavalry regiments. As I mentioned to you, I have also been interested in HR6 because my grandfather was in this regiment in the 1890s after it had moved from Oradea to Kassa. I have all of his military papers. But I have not been able to find his father's records for the 1860s. He was also a Hussar but after reviewing the information for you, I now think he may have been in HR10 and not HR6 like his son. I'm ordering those films now. So, you may have helped me too.

                                                        If you do find your ancestor's records around 1800, I can send you the history for his regiment. It will contain the information about the campaigns and battles for his regiment during those years. The early 1800s was an interesting period during which the Napoleonic Wars were fought. So, I'm sure you would find it pretty interesting. There is a lot of information on HR6 during the 1790s and early 1800s if it turns out that it is the one your ancestor was in. I should tell you that it is written in German but it is fairly easy to translate. Send me a private note and provide me with your email address if you would like to obtain this information.
                                                        best regards,
                                                        Carl

                                                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret" <jacques.cotteret@...> wrote:

                                                        > Carl,
                                                        > I have one more question to ask you :
                                                        > Can your wonderful maps and charts tell us the various regiments (infantry, cavalry and others) present at Rzeszow (former in Galicia, now in Poland) from 1790 to 1800.
                                                        > Waiting for miracles to be done,
                                                        > Regards
                                                        > Jacques

                                                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@> wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Jacques,
                                                        > > Here is a web site that lists the recruitment districts for each of the Huszaren Regiments in the late 1700s and early 1800s.
                                                        > > http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Austria/cavalry/c_austriancav4.html
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Carl
                                                        > >
                                                        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret" <jacques.cotteret@> wrote:
                                                        > > >
                                                        > > > Hi Carl,
                                                        > > > Does your chart or your map also deal with Cavalry Regiments recruitment districts ?
                                                        > > > In such a case I'm interested in Hussar Regiments(HR)in 1800; HR6, HR7 and HR12 , in all territories of "Hungary", Transylvania included.
                                                        > > > I would be so delighted with any detail available.
                                                        > > > Thanking you in the meanwhile
                                                        > > > Jacques

                                                      • Carl
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Sep 30, 2009
                                                          I see that the information got jumbled in my last message. So here it is again

                                                          From 1781, IR 26 & 45
                                                          From 1807, IR 29 & 8
                                                          From 1817, IR 10
                                                          After 1830, IR 40