RE: [S-R] travel to slovakia

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 63 , Oct 9, 2007
      Sure, Prague is attractive as well as Kopenhagen.
      I must repeat, it has nothing to do with Slovak ancestry, it is full of
      Japanese and others because Czechs are really pushing the tourism industry.
      Golden Prague? Yes, but so what? It's other people.
      And it is one of the most expensive places in Europe, just because of this
      tourism. You feel like a sheep there.
      Of course, it depends whether you are coming as an ordinary tourist or are
      you on ancestral path.
      Hungarian food is waaay better than Czech too.
      For people, who want to share their traveling experience after they come
      back, it may be a bit of a problem. Namely, if you spent most of the time in
      a village or small town of your ancestors, this is a very personal issue and
      may not be interesting to anyone else except your family. But to be able to
      show others, that you have seen a piece of world, other, more famous places
      have to be visited and photographed.
      I see now, how the Slovaks compete, where they have their vacation. Croatia
      or Bulgaria is not good any more. It must be Greece, Malaysia, Paris, Mexico
      and God knows, what else, just to tell the others what they can afford and
      how fine they are.
      But, what's the use of visiting Paris, if you don't eat frog legs or
      snails?:-)
      I never choose a place for my vacation because of the others, but only for
      myself.
      Vladimir

      _____

      Message 63 of 63 , Oct 19, 2007
        Frank,

        I will agree. I think of them as European Bed & Breakfast
        (approximately). Often in private homes, each one is unique.
        Sometimes they seem like very small hotels. I have rarely been
        disappointed and quite often delighted with some unexpected
        hospitality or advice the local people will offer. It was
        particularly delightful right after communism collapsed and the people
        were excited.

        It is nice to hear the word comes from the French. Pensions are quite
        common in Germany and Penzion spelling variation in other central
        European countries. I most often travelwithout reservations.
        Sometimes rooms can be negotiated over the fence at 10PM with no
        common language.

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R. Plichta"