Re: [S-R] Good (Free) Reading - Our Slavic Fellow Citizens

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
      The section on the politics of Slovak emigration should be
      required reading for all Slovak-Americans.

      http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic28.htm

      The Hungarians tried to impose their language, culture,
      and identity on the Slovak people, even so far as
      renaming the towns and villages with Hungarian names.

      This coupled with economic issues is the reason for the
      large Slovak-American population here in the United States.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

      > Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
      > corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
      > iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
      > Bill
      >
      > On Mon, October 8, 2007 3:57 pm, Gregory J Kopchak wrote:
      > > We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
      > > line for about 10 years.
      > >
      > > A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
      > > down an original copy of this book so we could make
      > > it available and all the work he put into it.
      > >
      > > http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm
      > >
      > > Greg Kopchak
      > > It's All Relative
      > >

      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, PRabich@ wrote:
      > >>
      > >> I went to the Google web address and all I found were specific pages.
      > >> Exactly where did you find the complete book?
      > >>
      > >> Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

      email to
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Bill Tarkulich
      > http://www.iabsi.com

    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 12, 2007
        OK, here is another relationship for someone to check out. I
        would,but it is rather late by me!
        1900 Dobsina Ice Cave writeup
        from: Edwin Swift Balch (1900): Glacières or Freezing Caverns
        http://www.showcaves.com/english/sk/showcaves/DobsinskaLadova1895.html

        I wonder if he is related to the Emily Balch.

        ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>

        http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1946/balch-lecture.html
        > > She was from a prominent Boston family.
        > >
        > > On Mon, October 8, 2007 12:42 am, helene cincebeaux
        > > wrote:
        > > > Was Emily Greene Balch connected with the Balch
        > > > Institue in Philadeplphia PA - they had some
        > > > interesting Slavic exhibits years ago.
        > > >
        > > > helene

        knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

      • nhasior@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 12, 2007
          Ron,
          Thank you for the wonderful link to the ice and salt mines of the world.
          After reading Mr. Balch's experience in Slovakia with his brother, I found one
          right in my backyard from the clickable map. The Ice Caves of the
          Shawangunks - Ellenville Ice Caves. I had been to the salt mine in Poland outside of
          Krakow and found it absolutely amazing.
          This clickable map you gave is a wonderful resource.
          Noreen