Re: [S-R] Good (Free) Reading - Our Slavic Fellow Citizens

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 8 11:57 AM
      I'm not Google tech support, but I'll give it a try.
      Go to a "specific page" as you did your search.

      there is a blue bar above each page it controls navigation within the
      book. it has a triangle facing left and right, these are previous and
      ability to download the entire 13.5MB book.
      Bill

      --
      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 8 12:57 PM
        We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
        line for about 10 years.

        A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
        down an original copy of this book so we could make
        it available and all the work he put into it.

        http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm

        Greg Kopchak
        It's All Relative

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8 1:30 PM
          Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
          corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
          iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
          Bill

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8 4:04 PM
            The section on the politics of Slovak emigration should be
            required reading for all Slovak-Americans.

            http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic28.htm

            The Hungarians tried to impose their language, culture,
            and identity on the Slovak people, even so far as
            renaming the towns and villages with Hungarian names.

            This coupled with economic issues is the reason for the
            large Slovak-American population here in the United States.

            Greg Kopchak
            It's All Relative

            <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

            > Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
            > corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
            > iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
            > Bill
            >
            > On Mon, October 8, 2007 3:57 pm, Gregory J Kopchak wrote:
            > > We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
            > > line for about 10 years.
            > >
            > > A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
            > > down an original copy of this book so we could make
            > > it available and all the work he put into it.
            > >
            > > http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm
            > >
            > > Greg Kopchak
            > > It's All Relative
            > >

            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, PRabich@ wrote:
            > >>
            > >> I went to the Google web address and all I found were specific pages.
            > >> Exactly where did you find the complete book?
            > >>
            > >> Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

            email to
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > --
            > Bill Tarkulich
            > http://www.iabsi.com

          • Ron Matviyak
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 12 2:23 AM
              OK, here is another relationship for someone to check out. I
              would,but it is rather late by me!
              1900 Dobsina Ice Cave writeup
              from: Edwin Swift Balch (1900): Glacières or Freezing Caverns
              http://www.showcaves.com/english/sk/showcaves/DobsinskaLadova1895.html

              I wonder if he is related to the Emily Balch.

              ron

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>

              http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1946/balch-lecture.html
              > > She was from a prominent Boston family.
              > >
              > > On Mon, October 8, 2007 12:42 am, helene cincebeaux
              > > wrote:
              > > > Was Emily Greene Balch connected with the Balch
              > > > Institue in Philadeplphia PA - they had some
              > > > interesting Slavic exhibits years ago.
              > > >
              > > > helene

              knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

            • nhasior@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 12 3:14 AM
                Ron,
                Thank you for the wonderful link to the ice and salt mines of the world.
                After reading Mr. Balch's experience in Slovakia with his brother, I found one
                right in my backyard from the clickable map. The Ice Caves of the
                Shawangunks - Ellenville Ice Caves. I had been to the salt mine in Poland outside of
                Krakow and found it absolutely amazing.
                This clickable map you gave is a wonderful resource.
                Noreen