Re: [S-R] Good (Free) Reading - Our Slavic Fellow Citizens

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
      Thanks Bill for the information!

      helene

      http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1946/balch-lecture.html

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
        I'm not Google tech support, but I'll give it a try.
        Go to a "specific page" as you did your search.

        there is a blue bar above each page it controls navigation within the
        book. it has a triangle facing left and right, these are previous and
        ability to download the entire 13.5MB book.
        Bill

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
          We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
          line for about 10 years.

          A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
          down an original copy of this book so we could make
          it available and all the work he put into it.

          http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
            Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
            corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
            iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
            Bill

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
              The section on the politics of Slovak emigration should be
              required reading for all Slovak-Americans.

              http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic28.htm

              The Hungarians tried to impose their language, culture,
              and identity on the Slovak people, even so far as
              renaming the towns and villages with Hungarian names.

              This coupled with economic issues is the reason for the
              large Slovak-American population here in the United States.

              Greg Kopchak
              It's All Relative

              <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

              > Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
              > corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
              > iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
              > Bill
              >
              > On Mon, October 8, 2007 3:57 pm, Gregory J Kopchak wrote:
              > > We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
              > > line for about 10 years.
              > >
              > > A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
              > > down an original copy of this book so we could make
              > > it available and all the work he put into it.
              > >
              > > http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm
              > >
              > > Greg Kopchak
              > > It's All Relative
              > >

              > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, PRabich@ wrote:
              > >>
              > >> I went to the Google web address and all I found were specific pages.
              > >> Exactly where did you find the complete book?
              > >>
              > >> Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

              email to
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >

              > --
              > Bill Tarkulich
              > http://www.iabsi.com

            • Ron Matviyak
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 12, 2007
                OK, here is another relationship for someone to check out. I
                would,but it is rather late by me!
                1900 Dobsina Ice Cave writeup
                from: Edwin Swift Balch (1900): Glacières or Freezing Caverns
                http://www.showcaves.com/english/sk/showcaves/DobsinskaLadova1895.html

                I wonder if he is related to the Emily Balch.

                ron

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
                wrote:

                > Thanks Bill for the information!
                >
                > helene
                >
                > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I don't think there is any relationship, but I could
                > > be wrong.
                > > Bill
                > >
                > > "The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies opened its
                > > doors to the public in
                > > 1976, the year our nation celebrated its
                > > bicentennial birthday. The
                > > Institute, however, has its roots in the generosity
                > > of Emily Swift Balch,
                > > 1835-1917" She was from a prominent Philadelphia
                > > family.
                > >
                > > Balch Institute holdings were acquired by the
                > > Historical Society of PA.
                > > http://www.hsp.org/
                > >

                > > Emily Greene Balch (January 8, 1867 – January 9,
                > > 1961) was a different
                > > person. She won the 1946 Nobel Peace Prize

                http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1946/balch-lecture.html
                > > She was from a prominent Boston family.
                > >
                > > On Mon, October 8, 2007 12:42 am, helene cincebeaux
                > > wrote:
                > > > Was Emily Greene Balch connected with the Balch
                > > > Institue in Philadeplphia PA - they had some
                > > > interesting Slavic exhibits years ago.
                > > >
                > > > helene

                knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

              • nhasior@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 12, 2007
                  Ron,
                  Thank you for the wonderful link to the ice and salt mines of the world.
                  After reading Mr. Balch's experience in Slovakia with his brother, I found one
                  right in my backyard from the clickable map. The Ice Caves of the
                  Shawangunks - Ellenville Ice Caves. I had been to the salt mine in Poland outside of
                  Krakow and found it absolutely amazing.
                  This clickable map you gave is a wonderful resource.
                  Noreen