Re: [S-R] Good (Free) Reading - Our Slavic Fellow Citizens

  • PRabich@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
      I went to the Google web address and all I found were specific pages.
      Exactly where did you find the complete book?

      Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
        Thanks Bill for the information!

        helene

        http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1946/balch-lecture.html

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
          I'm not Google tech support, but I'll give it a try.
          Go to a "specific page" as you did your search.

          there is a blue bar above each page it controls navigation within the
          book. it has a triangle facing left and right, these are previous and
          ability to download the entire 13.5MB book.
          Bill

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
            We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
            line for about 10 years.

            A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
            down an original copy of this book so we could make
            it available and all the work he put into it.

            http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm

            Greg Kopchak
            It's All Relative

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
              Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
              corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
              iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
              Bill

              --
              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                The section on the politics of Slovak emigration should be
                required reading for all Slovak-Americans.

                http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic28.htm

                The Hungarians tried to impose their language, culture,
                and identity on the Slovak people, even so far as
                renaming the towns and villages with Hungarian names.

                This coupled with economic issues is the reason for the
                large Slovak-American population here in the United States.

                Greg Kopchak
                It's All Relative

                <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                > Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
                > corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
                > iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
                > Bill
                >
                > On Mon, October 8, 2007 3:57 pm, Gregory J Kopchak wrote:
                > > We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
                > > line for about 10 years.
                > >
                > > A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
                > > down an original copy of this book so we could make
                > > it available and all the work he put into it.
                > >
                > > http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm
                > >
                > > Greg Kopchak
                > > It's All Relative
                > >

                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, PRabich@ wrote:
                > >>
                > >> I went to the Google web address and all I found were specific pages.
                > >> Exactly where did you find the complete book?
                > >>
                > >> Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

                email to
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > >

                > --
                > Bill Tarkulich
                > http://www.iabsi.com

              • Ron Matviyak
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 12, 2007
                  OK, here is another relationship for someone to check out. I
                  would,but it is rather late by me!
                  1900 Dobsina Ice Cave writeup
                  from: Edwin Swift Balch (1900): Glacières or Freezing Caverns
                  http://www.showcaves.com/english/sk/showcaves/DobsinskaLadova1895.html

                  I wonder if he is related to the Emily Balch.

                  ron

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Thanks Bill for the information!
                  >
                  > helene
                  >
                  > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I don't think there is any relationship, but I could
                  > > be wrong.
                  > > Bill
                  > >
                  > > "The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies opened its
                  > > doors to the public in
                  > > 1976, the year our nation celebrated its
                  > > bicentennial birthday. The
                  > > Institute, however, has its roots in the generosity
                  > > of Emily Swift Balch,
                  > > 1835-1917" She was from a prominent Philadelphia
                  > > family.
                  > >
                  > > Balch Institute holdings were acquired by the
                  > > Historical Society of PA.
                  > > http://www.hsp.org/
                  > >

                  > > Emily Greene Balch (January 8, 1867 – January 9,
                  > > 1961) was a different
                  > > person. She won the 1946 Nobel Peace Prize

                  http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1946/balch-lecture.html
                  > > She was from a prominent Boston family.
                  > >
                  > > On Mon, October 8, 2007 12:42 am, helene cincebeaux
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > Was Emily Greene Balch connected with the Balch
                  > > > Institue in Philadeplphia PA - they had some
                  > > > interesting Slavic exhibits years ago.
                  > > >
                  > > > helene

                  knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                • nhasior@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 12, 2007
                    Ron,
                    Thank you for the wonderful link to the ice and salt mines of the world.
                    After reading Mr. Balch's experience in Slovakia with his brother, I found one
                    right in my backyard from the clickable map. The Ice Caves of the
                    Shawangunks - Ellenville Ice Caves. I had been to the salt mine in Poland outside of
                    Krakow and found it absolutely amazing.
                    This clickable map you gave is a wonderful resource.
                    Noreen