Re: Translation

  • jcotteret
    Message 1 of 54 , Oct 8, 2007
      Vladimir,
      Thanks a lot for your very brilliant and comprehensive explanation
      about the"murarius sodalis".
      The point was I did not find "murar" or "murarius" in the various
      Latin-something dictionaries or glossaries, and still have not found
      them so far, probably because it is a "recent" word , the
      dictionaries being mostly focussed on Classical Latin.
      I have just found it in a excerpt from a book written in 1658 by
      Comenius (Orbis Pictus) : "Faber murarius, ponit Fundamentum et
      struit Muros", (i.e. : the mason lays the foundations and builds the
      walls").
      Thanks to you I'll be a little wiser tonight.

      Have a nice day

      Jacques

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      > Behalf Of jcotteret
      > Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2007 11:15 AM
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [S-R] Re: Translation
      >

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      > yahoogroups.com, "jcotteret"
      > <jacques.cotteret@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      > yahoogroups.com, "christine mackara"
      > > <christine1931@> wrote:
      > > >I am looking for someone to translate the following: murar
      > > sodalis, ablicentiatus miles.
      > >

      > > > Hi Christine,
      > > "ablicentiatus miles " means "soldier on leave".
      > > "sodalis" is "of the company" or "of the companion"
      > > I can't find "murar" in any dictionary.It must be related
      > to "murus",
      > > i.e. "wall".
      > > I hope it will be of any help to you.
      > >
      > > Jacques

      > >Thank you Peter !
      > Now it is quite clear. "Murar" must be the Czech word standing for
      > the Latin "muralis" used for the sappers and the whole sentence
      > becomes :
      > "soldier on leave (or may be retired) from a company of the
      Military
      > Engeenering Corps"
      >
      > Have a nice day !
      > Best Regards
      > Jacques

    • Samuel Ontko
      Message 54 of 54 , Dec 6, 2013
        Child Anna
        Born 9 Aug 1898
        Baptized 10 Aug 1898
        legitimate
        parents – you know and they look to be GC Greek Catholic
        living in Falkusovce
        Godparents
        and official/priest/

        Sent: Friday, December 06, 2013 8:57 PM
        Subject: [S-R] Translation

        Again - I need a translation on the link below

        P.361 Ln 36 - I see my relatives names within this line - Rudlyovszki Mihaly and Estok Zsuzanna.

        Thank you, Jon