Good (Free) Reading - Old Homes of New Americans

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
      Also check out "Old Homes of New Americans".

      Our Neighbors, the Slovaks at Home is Chapter 14

      http://iarelative.com/oldhomes/chap_14.htm

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
        I don't think there is any relationship, but I could be wrong.
        Bill

        "The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies opened its doors to the public in
        1976, the year our nation celebrated its bicentennial birthday. The
        Institute, however, has its roots in the generosity of Emily Swift Balch,
        1835-1917" She was from a prominent Philadelphia family.

        Balch Institute holdings were acquired by the Historical Society of PA.
        http://www.hsp.org/

        Emily Greene Balch (January 8, 1867 – January 9, 1961) was a different
        person. She won the 1946 Nobel Peace Prize
        http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1946/balch-lecture.html
        She was from a prominent Boston family.

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
          I went to the Google web address and all I found were specific pages.
          Exactly where did you find the complete book?

          Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
            Thanks Bill for the information!

            helene

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
              I'm not Google tech support, but I'll give it a try.
              Go to a "specific page" as you did your search.

              there is a blue bar above each page it controls navigation within the
              book. it has a triangle facing left and right, these are previous and
              ability to download the entire 13.5MB book.
              Bill

              --
              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
                line for about 10 years.

                A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
                down an original copy of this book so we could make
                it available and all the work he put into it.

                http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm

                Greg Kopchak
                It's All Relative

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                  Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
                  corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
                  iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
                  Bill

                  --
                  Bill Tarkulich
                  http://www.iabsi.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                    The section on the politics of Slovak emigration should be
                    required reading for all Slovak-Americans.

                    http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic28.htm

                    The Hungarians tried to impose their language, culture,
                    and identity on the Slovak people, even so far as
                    renaming the towns and villages with Hungarian names.

                    This coupled with economic issues is the reason for the
                    large Slovak-American population here in the United States.

                    Greg Kopchak
                    It's All Relative

                    <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
                    > corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
                    > iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
                    > Bill
                    >
                    > On Mon, October 8, 2007 3:57 pm, Gregory J Kopchak wrote:
                    > > We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
                    > > line for about 10 years.
                    > >
                    > > A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
                    > > down an original copy of this book so we could make
                    > > it available and all the work he put into it.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm
                    > >
                    > > Greg Kopchak
                    > > It's All Relative
                    > >

                    > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, PRabich@ wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >> I went to the Google web address and all I found were specific pages.
                    > >> Exactly where did you find the complete book?
                    > >>
                    > >> Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

                    email to
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Bill Tarkulich
                    > http://www.iabsi.com

                  • Ron Matviyak
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 12, 2007
                      OK, here is another relationship for someone to check out. I
                      would,but it is rather late by me!
                      1900 Dobsina Ice Cave writeup
                      from: Edwin Swift Balch (1900): Glacières or Freezing Caverns
                      http://www.showcaves.com/english/sk/showcaves/DobsinskaLadova1895.html

                      I wonder if he is related to the Emily Balch.

                      ron

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Thanks Bill for the information!
                      >
                      > helene
                      >
                      > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I don't think there is any relationship, but I could
                      > > be wrong.
                      > > Bill
                      > >
                      > > "The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies opened its
                      > > doors to the public in
                      > > 1976, the year our nation celebrated its
                      > > bicentennial birthday. The
                      > > Institute, however, has its roots in the generosity
                      > > of Emily Swift Balch,
                      > > 1835-1917" She was from a prominent Philadelphia
                      > > family.
                      > >
                      > > Balch Institute holdings were acquired by the
                      > > Historical Society of PA.
                      > > http://www.hsp.org/
                      > >

                      > > Emily Greene Balch (January 8, 1867 – January 9,
                      > > 1961) was a different
                      > > person. She won the 1946 Nobel Peace Prize

                      http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1946/balch-lecture.html
                      > > She was from a prominent Boston family.
                      > >
                      > > On Mon, October 8, 2007 12:42 am, helene cincebeaux
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > Was Emily Greene Balch connected with the Balch
                      > > > Institue in Philadeplphia PA - they had some
                      > > > interesting Slavic exhibits years ago.
                      > > >
                      > > > helene

                      knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                    • nhasior@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 12, 2007
                        Ron,
                        Thank you for the wonderful link to the ice and salt mines of the world.
                        After reading Mr. Balch's experience in Slovakia with his brother, I found one
                        right in my backyard from the clickable map. The Ice Caves of the
                        Shawangunks - Ellenville Ice Caves. I had been to the salt mine in Poland outside of
                        Krakow and found it absolutely amazing.
                        This clickable map you gave is a wonderful resource.
                        Noreen