Re: [S-R] Good (Free) Reading - Our Slavic Fellow Citizens

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
      Truly great. I have a copy. A book of profound insight and warm sympathy.

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
        Was Emily Greene Balch connected with the Balch
        Institue in Philadeplphia PA - they had some
        interesting Slavic exhibits years ago.

        helene

        --- Andrea Vangor <drav@...> wrote:

        > Truly great. I have a copy. A book of profound
        > insight and warm sympathy.

        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
      • Gregory J Kopchak
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
          Also check out "Old Homes of New Americans".

          Our Neighbors, the Slovaks at Home is Chapter 14

          http://iarelative.com/oldhomes/chap_14.htm

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
            I don't think there is any relationship, but I could be wrong.
            Bill

            "The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies opened its doors to the public in
            1976, the year our nation celebrated its bicentennial birthday. The
            Institute, however, has its roots in the generosity of Emily Swift Balch,
            1835-1917" She was from a prominent Philadelphia family.

            Balch Institute holdings were acquired by the Historical Society of PA.
            http://www.hsp.org/

            Emily Greene Balch (January 8, 1867 – January 9, 1961) was a different
            person. She won the 1946 Nobel Peace Prize
            http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1946/balch-lecture.html
            She was from a prominent Boston family.

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
              I went to the Google web address and all I found were specific pages.
              Exactly where did you find the complete book?

              Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                Thanks Bill for the information!

                helene

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                  I'm not Google tech support, but I'll give it a try.
                  Go to a "specific page" as you did your search.

                  there is a blue bar above each page it controls navigation within the
                  book. it has a triangle facing left and right, these are previous and
                  ability to download the entire 13.5MB book.
                  Bill

                  --
                  Bill Tarkulich
                  http://www.iabsi.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                    We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
                    line for about 10 years.

                    A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
                    down an original copy of this book so we could make
                    it available and all the work he put into it.

                    http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm

                    Greg Kopchak
                    It's All Relative

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                      Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
                      corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
                      iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
                      Bill

                      --
                      Bill Tarkulich
                      http://www.iabsi.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                        The section on the politics of Slovak emigration should be
                        required reading for all Slovak-Americans.

                        http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic28.htm

                        The Hungarians tried to impose their language, culture,
                        and identity on the Slovak people, even so far as
                        renaming the towns and villages with Hungarian names.

                        This coupled with economic issues is the reason for the
                        large Slovak-American population here in the United States.

                        Greg Kopchak
                        It's All Relative

                        <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                        > Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
                        > corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
                        > iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
                        > Bill
                        >
                        > On Mon, October 8, 2007 3:57 pm, Gregory J Kopchak wrote:
                        > > We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
                        > > line for about 10 years.
                        > >
                        > > A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
                        > > down an original copy of this book so we could make
                        > > it available and all the work he put into it.
                        > >
                        > > http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm
                        > >
                        > > Greg Kopchak
                        > > It's All Relative
                        > >

                        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, PRabich@ wrote:
                        > >>
                        > >> I went to the Google web address and all I found were specific pages.
                        > >> Exactly where did you find the complete book?
                        > >>
                        > >> Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

                        email to
                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Bill Tarkulich
                        > http://www.iabsi.com

                      • Ron Matviyak
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 12, 2007
                          OK, here is another relationship for someone to check out. I
                          would,but it is rather late by me!
                          1900 Dobsina Ice Cave writeup
                          from: Edwin Swift Balch (1900): Glacières or Freezing Caverns
                          http://www.showcaves.com/english/sk/showcaves/DobsinskaLadova1895.html

                          I wonder if he is related to the Emily Balch.

                          ron

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Thanks Bill for the information!
                          >
                          > helene
                          >
                          > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I don't think there is any relationship, but I could
                          > > be wrong.
                          > > Bill
                          > >
                          > > "The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies opened its
                          > > doors to the public in
                          > > 1976, the year our nation celebrated its
                          > > bicentennial birthday. The
                          > > Institute, however, has its roots in the generosity
                          > > of Emily Swift Balch,
                          > > 1835-1917" She was from a prominent Philadelphia
                          > > family.
                          > >
                          > > Balch Institute holdings were acquired by the
                          > > Historical Society of PA.
                          > > http://www.hsp.org/
                          > >

                          > > Emily Greene Balch (January 8, 1867 – January 9,
                          > > 1961) was a different
                          > > person. She won the 1946 Nobel Peace Prize

                          http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1946/balch-lecture.html
                          > > She was from a prominent Boston family.
                          > >
                          > > On Mon, October 8, 2007 12:42 am, helene cincebeaux
                          > > wrote:
                          > > > Was Emily Greene Balch connected with the Balch
                          > > > Institue in Philadeplphia PA - they had some
                          > > > interesting Slavic exhibits years ago.
                          > > >
                          > > > helene

                          knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                        • nhasior@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 12, 2007
                            Ron,
                            Thank you for the wonderful link to the ice and salt mines of the world.
                            After reading Mr. Balch's experience in Slovakia with his brother, I found one
                            right in my backyard from the clickable map. The Ice Caves of the
                            Shawangunks - Ellenville Ice Caves. I had been to the salt mine in Poland outside of
                            Krakow and found it absolutely amazing.
                            This clickable map you gave is a wonderful resource.
                            Noreen