Good (Free) Reading - Our Slavic Fellow Citizens

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
      Great, long out of print book on immigration of Slavs to the United
      States. Complete book is now available free on Google Books.
      Published in 1910. http://books.google.com/

      Our Slavic Fellow Citizens
      by Emily Greene Balch - 1910 - 536 pages
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
        Truly great. I have a copy. A book of profound insight and warm sympathy.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
          Was Emily Greene Balch connected with the Balch
          Institue in Philadeplphia PA - they had some
          interesting Slavic exhibits years ago.

          helene

          --- Andrea Vangor <drav@...> wrote:

          > Truly great. I have a copy. A book of profound
          > insight and warm sympathy.

          http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
        • Gregory J Kopchak
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
            Also check out "Old Homes of New Americans".

            Our Neighbors, the Slovaks at Home is Chapter 14

            http://iarelative.com/oldhomes/chap_14.htm

            Greg Kopchak
            It's All Relative
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
              I don't think there is any relationship, but I could be wrong.
              Bill

              "The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies opened its doors to the public in
              1976, the year our nation celebrated its bicentennial birthday. The
              Institute, however, has its roots in the generosity of Emily Swift Balch,
              1835-1917" She was from a prominent Philadelphia family.

              Balch Institute holdings were acquired by the Historical Society of PA.
              http://www.hsp.org/

              Emily Greene Balch (January 8, 1867 – January 9, 1961) was a different
              person. She won the 1946 Nobel Peace Prize
              http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1946/balch-lecture.html
              She was from a prominent Boston family.

              --
              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                I went to the Google web address and all I found were specific pages.
                Exactly where did you find the complete book?

                Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                  Thanks Bill for the information!

                  helene

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                    I'm not Google tech support, but I'll give it a try.
                    Go to a "specific page" as you did your search.

                    there is a blue bar above each page it controls navigation within the
                    book. it has a triangle facing left and right, these are previous and
                    ability to download the entire 13.5MB book.
                    Bill

                    --
                    Bill Tarkulich
                    http://www.iabsi.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                      We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
                      line for about 10 years.

                      A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
                      down an original copy of this book so we could make
                      it available and all the work he put into it.

                      http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm

                      Greg Kopchak
                      It's All Relative

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                        Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
                        corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
                        iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
                        Bill

                        --
                        Bill Tarkulich
                        http://www.iabsi.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                          The section on the politics of Slovak emigration should be
                          required reading for all Slovak-Americans.

                          http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic28.htm

                          The Hungarians tried to impose their language, culture,
                          and identity on the Slovak people, even so far as
                          renaming the towns and villages with Hungarian names.

                          This coupled with economic issues is the reason for the
                          large Slovak-American population here in the United States.

                          Greg Kopchak
                          It's All Relative

                          <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                          > Yes, I do remember reading it there first. A big thanks to Greg and his
                          > corporation for making it possible. He's got a lot of great stuff at
                          > iarelative.com, one of the early slovak-centric sites I frequented.
                          > Bill
                          >
                          > On Mon, October 8, 2007 3:57 pm, Gregory J Kopchak wrote:
                          > > We've had the Slovak Chapter from the book on
                          > > line for about 10 years.
                          > >
                          > > A special thanks goes to Dennis Ragan who tracked
                          > > down an original copy of this book so we could make
                          > > it available and all the work he put into it.
                          > >
                          > > http://www.iarelative.com/oldhomes/slavic.htm
                          > >
                          > > Greg Kopchak
                          > > It's All Relative
                          > >

                          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, PRabich@ wrote:
                          > >>
                          > >> I went to the Google web address and all I found were specific pages.
                          > >> Exactly where did you find the complete book?
                          > >>
                          > >> Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

                          email to
                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >

                          > --
                          > Bill Tarkulich
                          > http://www.iabsi.com

                        • Ron Matviyak
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 12, 2007
                            OK, here is another relationship for someone to check out. I
                            would,but it is rather late by me!
                            1900 Dobsina Ice Cave writeup
                            from: Edwin Swift Balch (1900): Glacières or Freezing Caverns
                            http://www.showcaves.com/english/sk/showcaves/DobsinskaLadova1895.html

                            I wonder if he is related to the Emily Balch.

                            ron

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Thanks Bill for the information!
                            >
                            > helene
                            >
                            > --- Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I don't think there is any relationship, but I could
                            > > be wrong.
                            > > Bill
                            > >
                            > > "The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies opened its
                            > > doors to the public in
                            > > 1976, the year our nation celebrated its
                            > > bicentennial birthday. The
                            > > Institute, however, has its roots in the generosity
                            > > of Emily Swift Balch,
                            > > 1835-1917" She was from a prominent Philadelphia
                            > > family.
                            > >
                            > > Balch Institute holdings were acquired by the
                            > > Historical Society of PA.
                            > > http://www.hsp.org/
                            > >

                            > > Emily Greene Balch (January 8, 1867 – January 9,
                            > > 1961) was a different
                            > > person. She won the 1946 Nobel Peace Prize

                            http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1946/balch-lecture.html
                            > > She was from a prominent Boston family.
                            > >
                            > > On Mon, October 8, 2007 12:42 am, helene cincebeaux
                            > > wrote:
                            > > > Was Emily Greene Balch connected with the Balch
                            > > > Institue in Philadeplphia PA - they had some
                            > > > interesting Slavic exhibits years ago.
                            > > >
                            > > > helene

                            knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                          • nhasior@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 12, 2007
                              Ron,
                              Thank you for the wonderful link to the ice and salt mines of the world.
                              After reading Mr. Balch's experience in Slovakia with his brother, I found one
                              right in my backyard from the clickable map. The Ice Caves of the
                              Shawangunks - Ellenville Ice Caves. I had been to the salt mine in Poland outside of
                              Krakow and found it absolutely amazing.
                              This clickable map you gave is a wonderful resource.
                              Noreen