Re: [S-R] Slovak Cadastre

  • Mtnesters2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
      Vladimir:

      How do you go about finding Land Records?

      Monica

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
        Dear Monica,
        If I know the name and the place I go to the Cadastre Office, we look into
        Index and write all persons with with this name down, together with all the
        numbers of their Land Record files and then take out all those files and try
        to figure out, who is my family and who is not. There are no dates of birth
        or house numbers, just names and their property. If you know for example the
        exact location of at least one property, you can identify the right person.
        Or, you can identify the right person by comparing the names of those, who
        inherited. In Land records, you can have three or four generations of owners
        and this can be the key to identification.
        Not an easy job.
        Regards,
        Vladimir

        _____

        How do you go about finding Land Records?

        Monica

      • christine mackara
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2007
          Thank you, Vladimir, for the translation of "cadastre". Do you think, there is a chance, that in those records could be, where the family came from ? I know Joannes Makara owned property in Presov and they were thinking of selling it in 1907.
          Christine (Mackara)

        • konekta@nm.psg.sk
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 6, 2007
            Dear Christine,
            Ony the name is there, nothing else of vital data.
            Best,
            Vladimir

            _____

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
              Ok Vlad, No trouble accepting that there is no vital information other
              than the family name in the cadastre records. However, what about
              non-vital information?

              I am a semi-retired engineer who has done my share of surveying and
              public utilities, roads and airports. Taking my one village of Sulin
              as an example, when I go (or hire someone) to the cadastre office, can
              I expect to find a plat or drawing of where the property boundaries
              were and are today? Utilities pretty well didn't exist 100 years
              back, but did they mark roads and local trails? Can I find the old
              county line (Spis and Saris) that separated Maly & Velky Sulin back
              then? Will they (the drawings, sketches or survey plats) locate or
              note the mill, the forester's headquarters, the city hall, school and
              other businesses (bar or general store)? May the drawings be updated
              periodically so I can narrow down when the volunteer fire building was
              erected in Maly Sulin?

              I realize these are specific questions as examples, but I intend them
              to elicit general answers so others may know what to find - if they
              are also interested in the development of the ancestral village. Of
              course, many things that apply in one location do not apply in
              another. But some of us are curious about the history adn the
              non-vital information.

              Thanks in advance. You provide a treasure trove of information for
              those of us outside Slovakia, and this time I want to take advantage
              of your knowledge!

              Ron

            • konekta@nm.psg.sk
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                Dear Ron,
                I surely would not want to speculate, what will be found there, but the
                plots are there. So, it's a land record, not building record.
                Ina village or town, the land is divided into agricultural land ( fields,
                lawns, gardens etc) and construction land ( where some building is on, but
                the building itself is not drawn, however the boundaries of construction
                land often are the same as the boundaries of the building, though)
                Maybe there are also other kinds of maps which would show buildings etc too,
                but they would most probably be in some archive.
                I say maybe, because the situation varies from area to area.
                This kind of work requires several visits to several offices and a couple of
                days if not more.
                Vladimir

                _____